Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

BBallGuru08 has an OK reputation so far
Default A Few More Moves To Be Made

With Brand on board and Iguodala still lingering around the corner, this team has a chance to really make a big splash next season and with a few more moves, then could be right behind Boston in the East. Would you do these trades/moves...

1. Send Andre Miller and Willie Green to the Lakers for Lamar Odom. The Lakers really need a point guard and Miller is not only a really good one, but an expiring contract as well. Miller gives them a back to the basket player which is something they lack, and is a guy that should do well in the triangle offense. For the Sixers, they add another pieces to the front court with Odom, who is still 29 years of age and if healthy, is one of the more versatile players in the league. Imagine Brand, Dalembert, and Odom in the front court.

2. Re-sign Louis Williams. He's the future of this team at the point guard position and has more point guard skills than other combo guards like Douby, Ellis, Dixon, and West. As Boston proved, you don't need a good point guard to win a championship because, IMO, Rondo is just mediocre at best.

3. Free Agent Targets:

Carlos Arroyo - A solid back up point guard and could even start if Williams struggles. Arroyo is a tough defender. Could be pretty cheap

JR Smith - Their demise came in the playoffs when Detroit went to a zone and made them shoot jump shots. They don't don't have a great shooter on the roster since trading Kyle Korver away. Smith is a solid shooter and instant offense type player. Will hopefully grow up and mature as well. He's looking for a contract close to the MLE.

4. The Possible Line up:

PG Williams - Arroyo
SG Iguodala - Smith
SF Odom - Young
PF Brand - Speights - Evans
C Dalembert - Smith
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: A Few More Moves To Be Made

Quote:
1. Send Andre Miller and Willie Green to the Lakers for Lamar Odom. The Lakers really need a point guard and Miller is not only a really good one, but an expiring contract as well. Miller gives them a back to the basket player which is something they lack, and is a guy that should do well in the triangle offense. For the Sixers, they add another pieces to the front court with Odom, who is still 29 years of age and if healthy, is one of the more versatile players in the league. Imagine Brand, Dalembert, and Odom in the front court.
Wouldn't do it. Andre Miller is the reason we're in the position we are. Thaddeus Young is in the mold of a Lamar Odom and is ready to start. Odom/Brand were already in the same frontcourt before. Success didn't follow. For the Lakers the triangle offense requires a point guard who can hit open 3 pointers (that's why Derek Fisher flourished, Gary Payton struggled). I doubt Andre Miller would be good there.

Quote:
2. Re-sign Louis Williams. He's the future of this team at the point guard position and has more point guard skills than other combo guards like Douby, Ellis, Dixon, and West. As Boston proved, you don't need a good point guard to win a championship because, IMO, Rondo is just mediocre at best.

We will re-sign Lou, but he's not ready to run a team. He's an explosive scorer off the bench, so he can stay right there.

Quote:
Carlos Arroyo - A solid back up point guard and could even start if Williams struggles. Arroyo is a tough defender. Could be pretty cheap
Arroyo just tore a calf muscle in the Olympic qualifiers. He'll struggle to get a deal anytime soon.

Quote:
JR Smith - Their demise came in the playoffs when Detroit went to a zone and made them shoot jump shots. They don't don't have a great shooter on the roster since trading Kyle Korver away. Smith is a solid shooter and instant offense type player. Will hopefully grow up and mature as well. He's looking for a contract close to the MLE.
I'd love Smith, but the Sixers do not have a MLE. We can sign someone for the veteran minimum and that's about it.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

yea jr smith would be perfect coming off our bench, or even starting @ sg. but we dont have anymore wiggle room
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Californiafan
I brick open layups

Californiafan has an OK reputation so far

I wonder if a player like Michael Finley, who I believe is still a free agent, is someone who would come to an up and coming team like the 76ers and assume a reserve roll. His skills definitely have declined, but his 3-pt shooting is still deadly. He would have to sign for the minimum. It could be a fun ride in his last years.
Californiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiafan
I wonder if a player like Michael Finley, who I believe is still a free agent, is someone who would come to an up and coming team like the 76ers and assume a reserve roll. His skills definitely have declined, but his 3-pt shooting is still deadly. He would have to sign for the minimum. It could be a fun ride in his last years.
I can't see him playing on a young team like ours unless he thought we were ready for the eastern conference finals. But I wouldn't mind it. He'd be good for Thad, Lou, Smith and Speights too
Old 07-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

i'm failing to see where LA needs a pg...they have Fisher and Farmar. And like posterize said...Odom and Brand didn't work out too well...and already have a glut of forwards. No dice on that one...
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

I been hearing and raeding that the Grizzlies are looking to trade a 1 or 2 of their guards but I been hearing that the odd man out could be Javaris Crittenton. He's 6'5 with speed and good ball handling ability.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
I been hearing and raeding that the Grizzlies are looking to trade a 1 or 2 of their guards but I been hearing that the odd man out could be Javaris Crittenton. He's 6'5 with speed and good ball handling ability.
he played with thad @ g-tech, but hes looking like a major bust right now.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

crittenton doesn't give us anything we need. don't need anymore backup guards and he can't shoot. pass
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
ppierce34
High school junior varsity star

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
he played with thad @ g-tech, but hes looking like a major bust right now.

How can you be a major bust after your first season? Especially considering that I think he only had one year of college ball.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: