Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 07-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far
Default Is Marc Gasol Already Overrated?

I'm not trying to hate on Marc Gasol, or the Grizzlies in any way, but I think there's some massively high and unrealistic expectations set for this kid, especially when you consider he hasn't even played an NBA game yet.

For example, www.insidehoops.com/teams lists each teams best players in order (as rated by an insidehoops writer, I think). For the Grizzlies, no surprise, Rudy Gay was rated the best, followed by O.J. Mayo. However, Marc Gasol was ranked the third best player on the Grizzlies.

Now I'm not saying Gasol is bad or anything like that, but #3? Seriously? I mean, first of all, even though the Grizzlies are in a young, rebuilding year (no offense), they still have quite a bit of talent. Hakim Warrick (#4), Mike Conley (#6), and Darko Milicic (#5) are all very talented, and even though Gasol does have a lot of upside, these guys are without doubt more talented as of right now.

Also, Gasol hasn't played an NBA game before. The NBA has a very different style than overseas leagues do, and a lot of times, foreign league players have trouble making the transition, so assuming that just because "Marc has older brother Pau to guide him, he'll make the transition much easier", is a little bit unrealistic, isn't it?

Also, let's not forget, Marc Gasol is a rookie. Rookies usually have to break into the rotation and find their niche, no matter how talented they are. Even O.J. Mayo will have a lot of learning to do, right?

Therefore, isn't it possible that Marc Gasol is already way overrated?
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Is Marc Gasol Already Overrated?

Expectations are very high on him so maybe he is overrated. Some people could be thinking he is the savior of this team, but I don't think that's a general opinion. Anyway, I've seen him playing the whole past season and the first friendly games with Spain and he is playing really good. Yesterday he made a pretty good game against Argentina. Also don't forget that he played high school in Memphis so his transition is somehow not that difficult than it could be for a typical european player in the cultural sense, which is one of the main drawbacks. And his game is very physical, so he could adapt himself to the NBA better than other players like Bargnani for instance. I think he could be a true contributor for the team in very short time.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

Well, I have seen him from 2 years, and so I have seen Darko.

I can't compare both of them cause they play in different leagues. But if we talk only about skills, Marc Gasol is better (by far) than Darko.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMedallist
Well, I have seen him from 2 years, and so I have seen Darko.

I can't compare both of them cause they play in different leagues. But if we talk only about skills, Marc Gasol is better (by far) than Darko.

I hope you will have the chance to see his game. Watch Spain playing into Olympics games, Marc and Pau will be starters, you will see how the "little" Gasol can play.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Marc gasol is better then warrik. He is also better than millic right now. He is most likely third or fourth right now in terms of who is best on this team. I mean is that overrated. Ranked third or fourth in the grizzlies team that only won 22 games last season. Dont forget that this guy was the mvp of his leaues last year.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't feel he's getting overrated. He's been given a bit of pressure, but that's normal. He's better than any of our other bigs skill wise, by quite a margin. Iavaroni said in the press conference that Marc will be given plenty of time to mature his game and refine everything. So, personally, I feel that he has not been overrated.

That list thing though is f*cked up.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Marc gasol is better then warrik. He is also better than millic right now. He is most likely third or fourth right now in terms of who is best on this team. I mean is that overrated. Ranked third or fourth in the grizzlies team that only won 22 games last season. Dont forget that this guy was the mvp of his leaues last year.

Milicic yes, Warrick, not too fast buddy.

Am I the only one here thinking that Marc might struggle beacuse of the games speed and pace? Pau was an exception because he was able to ballet his way to ROY. Marc is much more of a traditional center, and though he might not suck, his ceiling isn't going to be like Pau's.

The fact that he's only got Darko to beat out of the rotation should light a fire in Darko's ass and get him to average 12 and 10 for the season.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

Comeon man gasol is as good as warrik right now. Warrik is not that good. He has been here for like four years and hasnt ammounted to much. He is a better stromile swift
Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Comeon man gasol is as good as warrik right now. Warrik is not that good. He has been here for like four years and hasnt ammounted to much. He is a better stromile swift

I do hope you're right for the grizz sake. But history has taught me not to expect much being a grizzly fan.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
veilside23
alternick = loser :D

veilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this boardveilside23 is popular on this board

like what they've said i dont think marc is overrated its just a lot is expected of him he may very well be the third option in scoring because conley's job is to distribute the ball and most of the time i think marc gasol will be the beneficiary.
veilside23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #11
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Marc will not be a star... but he will also NOT be a bust..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #12
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

Exactly
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
That's how I see it. Hopefully he will become a solid contributer.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Grizzled Mayo has an OK reputation so far

As long as he dont get in the way like DARKO!
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
jailer
MillionDollarException

Whatever you say about darko he is not as bad as jake tsakalidis.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: