Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default How good can Tyrus Thomas be?

What kind of a player can Tyrus realistically be in his prime ( in 3-5 years)? Is there somebody in the nba ( past or present) that is similar to the type of player he can become?
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
CaNt Be ToUcHeD
High school junior varsity star

CaNt Be ToUcHeD has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How good can Tyrus Thomas be?

at this point its hard to tell, hes got to prove if his potential will pan out into a bust or a success

alot is riding on this season

and his career with the bulls in the next 2
CaNt Be ToUcHeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Crystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCrystallas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Tyrus needs to be able to do 1 thing to break out.
Average around 35 solid mpg and stay out of foul trouble.

The rest will come as he matures and stays healthy.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: How good can Tyrus Thomas be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallas
Tyrus needs to be able to do 1 thing to break out.
Average around 35 solid mpg and stay out of foul trouble.

The rest will come as he matures and stays healthy.

Totally agree with this, and staying out of foul trouble will lead to increased minutes. He was starting for a good stretch of the season, but he rarely got 20 minutes/game because he kept getting called for stupid fouls. He needs to be able to defend in the post without picking up fouls, and if he does get a foul, he can't let it affect the rest of his game.

Coming into his third season, he should start realizing what he needs to do to stay on the court. Also, his great work ethic has been paying off. He was one of our best players in the Summer League games, and he hasn't been forcing it like he did the last two years. His jumper looks smooth, and it really improved throughout last season. I am now comfortable with him taking any shot out to about 18 feet. I really think this is the year that he bursts onto the scene, and to think about him in his prime in about 5 years, I think he will be great - easily a 20/10 candidate. I still haven't given up on him.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
drwax26
High School Starter

drwax26 has decent reputationdrwax26 has decent reputation

He is like rashard lewis in terms of height and build. Only tyrus blocks shots and rashard shoots 3's.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

He lacks the bulk and interior game to be a quality PF.
He lacks the skill and IQ to be a quality SF.

Even if he gets bigger minutes, don't expect greatness. He's too weak in too many key areas to become an all-star calibre player in the NBA. Wouldn't even suprise me to see Thomas shipped out next summer if the Bulls can bring in a more prototypical PF. His trade value should be increased by then.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

With playing time he's proven he can be really good. I think Paxson/Del Negro need to give him lots of playing time this season to see how he develops. If he still turns out to be a bust at the end of next season then try and trade him. But I still think he has a lot of potential and can become close to a 20/10player. With lots of playing time this season I think he'll average 16 or 17/7 a game.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
casual_observer
I airball my layups

casual_observer has an OK reputation so far

dak121-both of your points are dead on. He does not have the IQ or a ball handling skills of a SF. He can do better at PF under two conditions...have a PG like Rose and an interior scoring Center...which we don't have with Noah and Gooden is too short to be a center. No matter what he guy is going to be a mis-fit at any position. I suppose he can play defense against 3s and 4s sometime but you will have to hide him on the offense in a half court setup.
casual_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: How good can Tyrus Thomas be?

I think his post offense can be very good with a little bit of work. With his vertical explosiveness, he shouldn't ever get a shot blocked, which works well for hook shots. He has range out to 18 feet, so you can't sag off him on defense, and I think his dribbling is good enough to take most PF's one-on-one. As long as he has a good help-side defender, that person will be able to cancel out his average on-the-ball defense, and he can help out with the best of them as well.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

he's basically in the same situation as Chandler. He needs a good pg and a bigman scorer beside him. He'll be good if he is asked to do the little things and if there are other teamates getting attention. He can be a slasher/rebounder/shotblocker.

He should be more patient on offense. He should focus on hitting the open jumper and slashing. Driving to the basket will come later once he starts hitting his jumper. He can save 2-3 fouls per game if he doesnt force his offense. Half of his fouls are offensive fouls.
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Bulls2333
Just another poster

Bulls2333 has decent reputation

If Tyrus stays injury free, in 3-5 years he will be a 20-10 guy for sure.

I have faith in his potential, and I expect a breakout season from his end. One thing that could make my expectation another let down is if Tyrus continues to get into foul trouble, and shows hesitation on his jumper when he's open. I know the new coaching staff will be great for Tyrus in both giving him minutes and helping his confidence. Rose will up Tyrus's game, big time. Once those guys build some chemistry, it will be nuts. Can't wait to watch this season progress.
Bulls2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

I completely agree. Tyrus does have the potential to be a 20/10 player.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
I completely agree. Tyrus does have the potential to be a 20/10 player.

I think this is the year where we find out if he is Stromile Swift or if he truly put the work into becoming the 18/10 or 20/10 we all hope he can become...
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #14
Drexler-Roy
I airball my layups

Drexler-Roy has an OK reputation so far

Tyrus Thomas if he works hard can be a better rebounding Travis Outlaw.If he fails to work hard Stromile Swift
Drexler-Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
KaptnKirk12
High School Varsity 12th Man

KaptnKirk12 has an OK reputation so far

With Chicago? No better than 15/10. And that is with solid minutes.

With a team that would get into the open floor and run a bunch. 20/10 easily.

He needs to get a solid, consistant jumper since he can't go down low and bang bodies. Also isn't real solid around the basket, he just needs to settle down for the most part.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: