Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
eprizzle14
Kids at the park dunk on me

eprizzle14 has an OK reputation so far
Default Lebron to go overseas?

Lebron supossudly (sp) he'd go overseas if he was offered somthing like 50 million a year. Whats youre take is it possible he goes overseas?
eprizzle14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Lebron to go overseas?

No
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

People need to understand that LeBron James is the face of the NBA now. Stern would literally lick the dirt off of his LeBron 6's after a triple overtime match if LeBron said so. LeBron leaving the NBA for ANY league would completely shatter the hearts of the NBA's organization. They would change up everything, there wouldn't be a salary cap in order to ensure he stays (and others in the future stay), and they would find ways to keep it that way until a new player comes along.

Yet, the owners of the teams in Europe are filthy rich. It is peanuts to them to spend 50 mil. on one player, they just want to get a good deal. If LeBron James left to Europe, not only would he obviously bring in a great competition for them, he would set a trend, break down the NBA, and he would bring immense attention to the European leagues.

I can see this happening just for the owner of the other teams doing it as a "**** you America!" type of move. They'll do it to brag and step on the toes of David Stern. It's the intangibles that are very important, and that is what LeBron would be bringing there.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Unimane
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Unimane has an OK reputation so far

I agree, LeBron's not going anywhere. Some European owners have deep pockets, but so do NBA owners AND the NBA makes a profit. I don't really see too many European owners wanting to outbid NBA teams for the elite players if they will be forced to take a huge hit in the wallet.
Unimane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Marca ! spanish sensationalist sports press!its never going to happen.if every player that they link with spanish football teams ever happened their football teams or real madrid more specifically would have a squad of 100 players!
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

b.jerk has an OK reputation so far

David Stern is a short lonely man with lots and lots of power, he's kinda like J Edger Hoover when you think about it. Anyway I think he could go because David Stern cares more about control than money, popularity or anything else and if David Stern had a choice between keeping Lebron James or control he'll choose the later.
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.jerk
David Stern is a short lonely man with lots and lots of power, he's kinda like J Edger Hoover when you think about it. Anyway I think he could go because David Stern cares more about control than money, popularity or anything else and if David Stern had a choice between keeping Lebron James or control he'll choose the later.
does he also wear little girl's dresses?
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

b.jerk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
does he also wear little girl's dresses?

How do you know this?
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

For the people thinking that they will be bidding with the NBA, you are wrong. There is a salary cap in the NBA, unlike in Europe, that's why he said 50 mil. because he knows the NBA can't provide him with that.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
For the people thinking that they will be bidding with the NBA, you are wrong. There is a salary cap in the NBA, unlike in Europe, that's why he said 50 mil. because he knows the NBA can't provide him with that.

[IRONIC]
Why not? 50M for him, then 20M for 10 crap players and i think you are in the threshold of the luxury tax. I don't see many differences with the current Cavs, in terms of talent
[/IRONIC]
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
simasu01
Decent playground baller

simasu01 has an OK reputation so far

He said that because, in my opinion, he wanted to top Kobe's 40 million $, and in that way, show that he's worth more. For that much money, you could bring anyone anywhere, even if it's Samuel Eto'o to Uzbekistan, which, by the way, didn't happen, thank God. I think a club like CSKA or Real could offer that much, but would he leave the NBA? I think if a club offered him 40 mil he would consider it, because he's not an idiot. Since the dollar is so low right now, in Euros, it wouldn't be that much. 32 630 700 Euros equals 50 million dollars. 26 104 600 Euros equals 40 million USD. So for a rich club, this wouldn't be that much, plus LeBron would keep all of the money, unlike in the NBA, where a huge part of your salary is taken away by taxes. I think it's possible, but doubt it will happen. Unless the dollar gets much weaker than it already is.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:21 AM   #12
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
He said that because, in my opinion, he wanted to top Kobe's 40 million $, and in that way, show that he's worth more. For that much money, you could bring anyone anywhere, even if it's Samuel Eto'o to Uzbekistan, which, by the way, didn't happen, thank God. I think a club like CSKA or Real could offer that much, but would he leave the NBA? I think if a club offered him 40 mil he would consider it, because he's not an idiot. Since the dollar is so low right now, in Euros, it wouldn't be that much. 32 630 700 Euros equals 50 million dollars. 26 104 600 Euros equals 40 million USD. So for a rich club, this wouldn't be that much, plus LeBron would keep all of the money, unlike in the NBA, where a huge part of your salary is taken away by taxes. I think it's possible, but doubt it will happen. Unless the dollar gets much weaker than it already is.

I don't think Real Madrid would offer such amount of money for a basketball player. CSKA, Olympiakos, Pana, maybe another Russian like Kimkhi, but no one else.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
simasu01
Decent playground baller

True, they invest into football, their basketball could be much higher if not for the money they spend on old Man U talent. I guess only rich russians and greeks could offer than much, but I truly doubt any quality NBAer would want to play in russia.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01

You're right about the weak dollar. That is the only thing that could make this a potential deal.

Here's one thing that most people don't take into consideration though. Lebron has all kinds of endorsement deals. He already probably makes close to 50 million per year. He isn't going to get those same deals somewhere else. I think when that is factored in, he has to stay here.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #15
simasu01
Decent playground baller

You are right, I didn't realize all those endorsements. He would lose a ton of money from Nike and such by leaving. However, he wouldn't have to lose that much salary. I don't know, it'd be pretty interesting if someone could get all these numbers and see what works better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: