Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default More Sixers news

Quote:
Sixers won’t need to pay luxury tax

By TOM MOORE
phillyBurbs.com
8/6/08

Even if they sign restricted free agent Andre Iguodala to a long-term contract starting at $12 million, the Sixers would still be more than $5 million below the tax threshold of $71.5 million. That would allow them to sign one or two minimum-salary players — team president Ed Stefanski said they're looking to bring in another big man with some experience — to round out their roster without having to pay the dollar-for-dollar penalty tax.

The NBA's 2008-09 salary cap is set at $58.68 million. The salaries of the 11 Sixers' players currently under contract add up to roughly $53.5 million, not counting Iguodala's cap hold of about $8 million.

As for Iguodala, a source indicated that the Sixers and agent Rob Pelinka are discussing a deal worth more than $70 million over five years. That would mean $12 million next year, with annual raises of $1.26 million.

That deal would exceed those of fellow fourth-year pros Luol Deng (six years, $71 million) and Emeka Okafor (six years, $72 million).

Wonder who the vet big man is the Sixers could be targetting. Theo?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

76ers4life has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: More Sixers news

That is good news all the offseason moves and the resigning of our restricted free agents and were still under the luxury tax beautiful just beautiful. Ed has done a magnificent job with this team and an even better job of maintaining the salary cap something King wasn't very good at. I wonder if New Jersey is going to miss Ed he did a great job for them even though they try not to give him credit for it their loss our gain. It seems that Ed is really trying hard to get this team a championship this is probably a dream job for him. To be a gm for your hometown team how many gm's get that type of opportunity and he's certainly doing a hell of a job.

Last edited by 76ers4life : 08-07-2008 at 03:56 PM.
76ers4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

it is definitely a dream job for him as he went to Penn and grew up here, but he deserves the credit for NJ turnaround. He got them J-Kidd and Jefferson and Martin, and got them to the finals 2 years in a row. Kiki is a good gm, but not that of Stefanski. We resign Iguodala to a somewhat decent contract and get another vet or 2 in here, and it's an A+ this off season for Ed. As for the big man...idk who it could be, maybe Theo. the other guys consist of...

Jake Voskuhl
Michael Ruffin
Juwan Howard
Jamaal Magloire
Dikembe Mutumbo
Michael Doleac
Francisco Elson(but he is reportedly deciding between Europe, Atlanta and Milwaukee)
Sean Marks
Lorenzen Wright
Robert Horry
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
Michael Ruffin
Juwan Howard
Jamaal Magloire
Dikembe Mutumbo
Michael Doleac
Francisco Elson(but he is reportedly deciding between Europe, Atlanta and Milwaukee)
Sean Marks
Lorenzen Wright
Robert Horry
Horry probably won't come. Don't want Wright, Marks, Doleac, Magloire, and I think Juwan will retire. Ruffin is like Reggie, just not as good. If we can get Theo...bring him in.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Theo would be the top big man on my list as well. I wouldn't mind Magloire either I think alot of people forget that this guy was an all-star a while back. Even though he isn't nearly the player he was I would take him just maybe not over Ratliff. Certainly if we pick up Ratliff that is an extra shot blocker that would make our bench nearly as deadly as our starters.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

If the deal for Iggy is 5 years 70 mill, greedy Andre better step up his game and play as a franchise player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
Jake Voskuhl
Michael Ruffin
Juwan Howard
Jamaal Magloire
Dikembe Mutumbo
Michael Doleac
Sean Marks
Lorenzen Wright
Robert Horry
Good list.

If Magloire comes for the minimum, I wouldn't mind him. Isn't Mbenga also a free agent? Wouldn't mind him either. Theo may be a good guess as well.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
If the deal for Iggy is 5 years 70 mill, greedy Andre better step up his game and play as a franchise player.

Good list.

If Magloire comes for the minimum, I wouldn't mind him. Isn't Mbenga also a free agent? Wouldn't mind him either. Theo may be a good guess as well.
I hear ya he has to make a huge leap from 20 ppg to about 25 or better to justify that type of pay raise. For some crazy reason I think he can do it with all the nice off season moves we made. He really has no other choice but to step up and I mean huge
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't forget Magloire was an all-star, but I DO remember that he was a sub replacement in that game.

He's still young but I think he's had a couple surgeries that have killed his career. New Jersey signed him last year for the same reason you guys wouldn't mind him, and he was horrible. Mavs also had him, and he was even worse. Theo still averaged 1.5bpg last year (he was averaging 2 blocks in 21 mpg in Minnesota to start the year). If we can get him we need to go after it.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
76ers4life
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I don't forget Magloire was an all-star, but I DO remember that he was a sub replacement in that game.

He's still young but I think he's had a couple surgeries that have killed his career. New Jersey signed him last year for the same reason you guys wouldn't mind him, and he was horrible. Mavs also had him, and he was even worse. Theo still averaged 1.5bpg last year (he was averaging 2 blocks in 21 mpg in Minnesota to start the year). If we can get him we need to go after it.
Man if he's that bad he shouldn't even be on the list. I already know Theo should be the top man on the list he was my top choice to begin with. I haven't heard any rumors on who we may target.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
True that

Since the last time I saw Magloire play was back in those Hornets days -probably the last time anyone saw him play- I have an image that he could still be useful as a backup C (a la Diop maybe), but you are right about NJ and Dallas. What about Mbenga? Is he still unsigned?

I think we can agree that Theo tops that list, although I wouldn't mind Zo (no way he leaves Miami if he decides to play though). Stefanski may be thinking among the lines of Theo / Voshkul / Lorenzen.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

yeah i didn't put Zo on there cuz he's not coming here, and Mbenga kinda just slipped my mind, he's garbage. I don't want Magloire, but he is an option. Theo is number 1 obviously though
Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #12
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

id actually rather have Elson, but he's not an option i guess
Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
The Sixers, who have just minimum salary money remaining, were in the process of compiling a list of prospective free agents. It is likely that former Sixer Theo Ratliff, who finished last season with the Detroit Pistons, and Dutchman Franciso Elson, who played last season for the San Antonio Spurs and the Seattle SuperSonics, are on that list.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._ACL_tear.html
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How many games can Theo play? Not expecint 82 but more than the 26 he gave Detroit last yr.

Quote:
Status Alert:Sources indicate the Bucks are considering signing Elson to a two-year deal, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports. (Aug 8)

Got this off his player profile when i went to look up his stats
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #15
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How many games can Theo play? Not expecint 82 but more than the 26 he gave Detroit last yr.

Got this off his player profile when i went to look up his stats
Calvin Booth played 31 for us. I'd hope Theo would give us more than that. He'd no doubt be better than Booth. I hated that guy. Almost to the point that if he did something positive I was mad because it could keep him in the game.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: