Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default John Calipari (Memphis) hires Rod Strickland

"Former NBA point guard Rod Strickland didn't need to think long when the chance to join John Calipari's staff at the University of Memphis came along. "I got a phone call from (former Tiger forward Arthur Barclay) saying that Coach was interested in hiring me," Strickland said. "I called (Calipari) about two seconds after that, and he told me about the opportunity. I was listening but I was ready to say, 'Yeah.' All he had to say was, 'Do you want the job?'" Memphis Commercial Appeal

"Eventually he did, and Calipari on Thursday confirmed the former DePaul standout's hiring as the Tigers' new assistant coordinator of basketball operations. The 40-year-old Strickland, a native of New York City, played for nine teams during his 17-year NBA career, most notably the Washington Wizards and Portland Trail Blazers." Memphis Commercial Appeal

"(Strickland) will assume the duties, if not the title, of former coordinator of basketball operations Milt Wagner, who left last month to join former UofM assistant Tony Barbee's staff at UTEP. While Strickland will not be allowed to coach on the floor, he can attend practices and sit on the bench during games." Memphis Commercial Appeal
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Wicked_1
Great young streetballer

I'm glad for Rod Strickland I was always a fan of his game. Good point guard who knew how to run and offense and distributed the ball well.

It's kind of hard to see him as a coach on the bench he seems to laid back to be coaching college kids. So i think cordinator is a perfect job for him. I'd like to see Kenny Anderson get a similar job to that instead of trying to make it back into the league as a player....

I use to love watching Strickland and Sabonis play for the blazers in the early 90's those guys had good chemistry together!

Last edited by Wicked_1 : 09-01-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Wicked_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

If Darius Washington Jr stuck around for another year, I would have loved to see what Rod Strickland could do to help him improve his game. Strickland is a great guy to learn from and could have tutored Washington Jr. into more of a PG. What could have been..
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: