Timberwolves send Jonny Flynn back to D-League

March 14, 2010: Jonny Flynn of the Minnesota Timberwolves during the game between the Sacramento Kings and the Minnesota Timberwolves at Arco Arena in Sacramento, CA. Ben Munn/CSM.

The Minnesota Timberwolves today announced the club has reassigned second-year guard Jonny Flynn to the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the NBA Development League. Flynn will re-join the Skyforce following Thursday’s Wolves practice and is expected to play in both their Friday and Saturday night games against Tulsa.

Flynn was previously assigned to Sioux Falls on Dec. 1, where he tallied eight points, nine assists and two steals in 25 minutes of action during the Skyforce’s game against Iowa on Dec. 3. He was recalled to the Timberwolves the following day.

The sixth overall pick by Minnesota in last year’s draft, Flynn started each of the 81 games he appeared in as a rookie last season. He averaged 13.5 points, 2.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists as a rookie before missing the season finale with the hip injury that ultimately required offseason surgery. He finished his first NBA season ranked 5th among the league’s rookies in scoring (13.5 ppg), 4th in free-throw accuracy (82.6%), 5th in assists (4.4 apg) and 7th in steals (1.01 spg).

Flynn is yet to appear in a game for the Wolves this season after undergoing offseason surgery on his left hip on July 27. Per NBA rules, a first- or second-year player can be assigned to the team’s D-League affiliate a maximum of three times in a season.

InsideHoops.com editor says: This is a good tune-up to help Flynn prepare to actually help the Timberwolves.

Blazers assign Luke Babbitt to D-League

LAS VEGAS - NOVEMBER 18:  Luke Babbitt #5 of the Nevada Wolf Pack shoots over Steve Jones #20 of the UNLV Rebels during their game at the Thomas & Mack Center on November 18, 2009 in Las Vegas, Nevada. UNLV won 88-75.  (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

The Portland Trail Blazers have assigned rookie forward Luke Babbitt to the Idaho Stampede of the NBA Development League, it was announced today by General Manager Rich Cho.

Babbitt, 21, has logged six points, four rebounds, a blocked shot and 30 minutes over eight games with the Trail Blazers.

Babbitt becomes the 14th NBA player assigned to the D-League this season.

Portland acquired the University of Nevada product from Minnesota in a draft day trade on June 24.

What’s your opinion? Share it on the Trail Blazers forum.

NBA hopes to keep Hornets in New Orleans


January 20, 2010: Chris Paul and David West of the New Orleans Hornets in action against the Memphis Grizzlies during an NBA game in the New Orleans Arena in New Orleans, LA. Tyler Kaufman/CSM.

The AP reports:

The man picked by the NBA to oversee the Hornets after the league’s impending takeover of the franchise said Tuesday that his assignment is to make the club more attractive to a buyer who would keep the team in New Orleans.

Jac Sperling traveled to New Orleans to begin his role as the NBA’s administrator for what will be the first team owned by the league after the NBA board of governors’ anticipated approval of the purchase in the coming weeks.

Sperling, a sports attorney who is also vice chairman of the NHL’s Minnesota Wild, was born and raised in New Orleans. He was appointed by NBA Commissioner David Stern.

“I grew up here. [Stern] asked me to help,” Sperling said. “Read into that what you want, but I think the commissioner, he’s been very positive about this city going back to when the team was awarded in 2002, [then moving the team back from Oklahoma City] after Katrina … and also the awarding of the 2008 All-Star game.

“We’re in a difficult spot, yes, but I think his selection of me is a further indication of what is in his mind. He wants to try to make this asset more attractive so perhaps a local buyer will step up.”

Nets recall Terrence Williams from D-League

April 07, 2010 Milwaukee, WI. Bradley Center..New Jersey Nets Terrence Williams brings the ball up the court, Williams had 6 points coming off the Nets bench..Milwaukee Bucks won over the New Jersey Nets 108-89. Mike McGinnis/CSM.

The New Jersey Nets have recalled guard/forward Terrence Williams from their NBA Development League affiliate, The Springfield Armor, Nets General Manager Billy King announced today.

In three games with the Armor, all starts, Williams averaged 28.0 points, 11.3 rebounds, 10.7 assists, and 1.3 steals in 41.7 minutes per game.  He shot .426 (29-68) from the field, .500 (10-20) from behind the arc and .800 (16-20) from the free throw line.  Williams recorded two triple-doubles, while scoring 30+ points twice.  The Armor went 1-2 with Williams in the lineup.

Williams has played in eight games with the Nets this season, averaging 6.8 points, 3.8 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 19.9 minutes per game.

What’s your opinion? Share it on the New Jersey Nets forum.

Andrew Bynum completes first full practice since offseason knee surgery


Jun. 08, 2010 - Boston, MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES - epa02192971 Los Angeles Lakers' Andrew Bynum (R) goes to the basket as Boston Celtics' Kendrick Perkins defends during the first half of game three of the NBA Finals at TD Gardens in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, 08 June 2010. The Lakers defeated the Celtics 91-84 to lead the series 2-1 in the best of seven games.

The AP reports:

Center Andrew Bynum participated Monday in his first full practice with the Los Angeles Lakers since offseason knee surgery.

Bynum still isn’t sure when he’ll return to the Lakers’ starting lineup, but he intends to play in December.

“I made it through practice with no pain, no symptoms, so it’s pretty good,” Bynum told reporters after practice. “I just want to get a couple of practices in. I want to play within the month, anywhere. I just want to get enough practices in so it’s not too far when I get into a game, I can keep up the pace and stuff like that.”

Andre Miller and Brian Cook suspended

Brian Cook of the Los Angeles Clippers has been suspended two games without pay for his Flagrant Foul, Penalty Two against Joel Przybilla of the Portland Trail Blazers, and Andre Miller of the Trail Blazers has been suspended one game without pay for making excessive and unnecessary contact with Blake Griffin of the Clippers, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President Basketball Operations. Upon postgame video review by the league office, Miller was assessed a Flagrant Foul, Penalty Two for his actions.

The incident involving Cook occurred with 4.5 seconds remaining in the third quarter of Portland’s 100-91 win over the Clippers on Sunday, December 5 at Rose Garden. The incident involving Miller occurred with 7:06 remaining in the fourth quarter of the same game.

Cook  will  begin serving his suspension tonight when the Clippers host the Sacramento  Kings  at  Staples  Center.  Miller  will  serve his suspension tomorrow when the Trail Blazers host the Phoenix Suns at Rose Garden.

Thunder recall Cole Aldrich from D-League

Thunder recall Cole Aldrich from D-League

Oklahoma City Thunder Executive Vice President and General Manager Sam Presti announced today that the team has recalled center Cole Aldrich from the Tulsa 66ers of the NBA Development League.

Aldrich appeared in five games (five starts) for the 66ers and averaged 7.8 points, 7.2 rebounds and 1.6 blocked shots in 27.4 minutes.

Aldrich has joined the Thunder in Chicago for tonight’s 7:00 PM game against the Bulls at the United Center.

Magic recall Daniel Orton from D-League

The New Mexico Thunderbirds announced today that the Orlando Magic have recalled power forward, Daniel Orton (6-10, 255) from the T-Birds.

Orton played in two games with the Thunderbirds over the weekend and averaged 10.0 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists.  He did not play in the second half of his second game with the Thunderbirds on Saturday night.

Orton was the Magic’s first round selection (29th overall) in the 2010 draft out of the University of Kentucky.  He played one season for Kentucky averaging 3.4 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 13.2 minutes per game for a team that went to the Elite Eight in the 2010 NCAA Tournament.

Orton played in five summer league games for the Orlando Magic and averaged 3.2 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.  He has yet to play a regular season game for the Magic.

Pistons sale not likely to be done until February

Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News reports:

March 28 2010: Detroit Pistons' Richard Hamilton (32) during the NBA basketball game between the Chicago Bulls and Detroit Piston at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

The Pistons are unlikely to be sold until at least February, the firm handling the sale for Karen Davidson has informed potential buyers.

Citibank, which was hired by the widow of the late owner of the Pistons, Bill Davidson, to represent the franchise for the sale, informed potential buyers last week that the deal is unlikely to be completed until the NBA All-Star Game. The advisory to the potential buyers was confirmed by sources close to the deal.

Among the potential buyers are Mike, Marian and Christopher Ilitch and their company, Ilitch Holdings Co.; the Beverly Hills financier Tom Gores; and a group headed by George Postolos, a former executive of the NBA and the Houston Rockets.

A report out of the Middle East that investors from Dubai and Qatar were among the potential buyers was denied by the NBA.

What’s your opinion? Share it on the Detroit Pistons forum.

Anthony Tolliver out 6-8 weeks with knee injury

Ray Richardson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports (via blog):

Anthony Tolliver out 6-8 weeks with knee injury

Tough break for Timberwolves backup forward Anthony Tolliver. He will miss the next 6-8 weeks to recover from a sprained medial collateral in his right knee. Tolliver, signed by the Wolves as a free agent in August, was hurt in Friday night’s game at San Antonio. An MRI exam Sunday revealed the extent of Tolliver’s injury.

The good thing for the 25 year-old Tolliver is that he won’t require surgery. This is the first significant injury in Tolliver’s scattered NBA career. It happens the first time he was able to earn a guaranteed contract after four years of bouncing around the league trying to find a home. The Wolves signed Tolliver to a two-year deal worth $4.6 million.

The Wolves will miss Tolliver’s energy. He has become the team’s best front-line defender off the bench. He’s averaging 6.5 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.3 assists and shooting a respectable 43.8 percent from three-point range (14 of 32).

What’s your opinion? Share it in the Minnesota Timberwolves forum.