The Houston Rockets shooting from beyond the arc has been a huge key to their success this year. These notes do not include Monday’s current-ongoing game in Brooklyn against the Nets:
- The Rockets lead the entire NBA in 3PT FGM per game at 11.8 (1.5 more per game than 2nd place LAC). At their current pace, the Rockets are on track to make 967 3PT FG over the course of the 82 game season. This would shatter the NBA single season mark of 891 3PT FG set by New York in 2012-13. Additionally, after making a three-pointer late in the 3Q of the home win vs. POR on 12/22, Jason Terry joined Ray Allen and Reggie Miller as the only players in NBA history to reach 2,000 3PT FG for their careers.
- James Harden hit a career-high 8 3PT FG on just 11 attempts on 12/31 vs. CHA. This is the third most 3PT FG a Rockets player has made in a regulation game, and ties the fewest attempts a Rockets player has hit 8+ 3PT FG on (Alston, 8-11, 3/16/08).
- With Corey Brewer’s 6 three-pointers (6-8 3PT FG) vs. SAS on 12/28, the Rockets now have had five different players with 6 or more threes in a game (Ariza, Beverley, Canaan and Harden). No other team in the league has more than two players who have done it.
- Trevor Ariza and James Harden headline the Rockets long range shooting. Harden has made 90 3PT FG (90-250, .360) good for sixth in the NBA and Ariza has made 85 3PT FG (85-266, .320) good for tenth in the NBA.
- The Rockets made 10+ 3PT FG in each of their first eight games and including last season nine straight overall (4/16/14 to 11/12/14). This surpassed the longest streak in franchise history of seven straight games set in 2013. The Rockets tied the streak again with nine straight from 11/19 through the 12/6. The two nine game streaks sit tied at the fourth the longest streaks in NBA history (2 shy of record). Ultimately the Rockets have done it in all but nine games this season.
- The Rockets tied their season-high with 17 3PT FGM on 17-43 (.395) shooting vs. CHA on 12/31. The Rockets attempted 46 three-pointers vs. DAL on 11/22 (going 15-46) to set a new high mark in the NBA and tied the Rockets franchise record (2/26/13 at WAS).
- On the defensive end, the Rockets are holding teams to 31.1% 3PT FG shooting, the 2nd lowest opponent 3PT FG%.