Clippers sign Joakim Noah, who had been on a 10-day contract

The L.A. Clippers have signed free agent Joakim Noah to a new contract, it was announced today by Clippers President of Basketball Operations Lawrence Frank.

Noah, who signed a 10-Day contract with the Clippers on March 9, is a two-time NBA All-Star (2013, 2014) and former NBA Defensive Player of the Year (2014). He’s way past his prime now, but a smart, versatile player and still an excellent addition for depth purposes.

Per the Orange County Register, “the 35-year-old gives the Clippers another option at center, arguably the team’s weakest position, behind Ivica Zubac and Montrezl Harrell. Like the other 21 teams in the restart, the Clippers will play eight regular season games before the playoffs begin in mid-August.”

Noah appeared in 42 games last season for the Memphis Grizzlies, averaging 7.1 points, 2.1 assists and 5.7 rebounds. The 6’11”, 230-pound center holds career averages of 8.8 points, 2.8 assists and 9.1 rebounds in 667 appearances across 12 NBA seasons with the Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks and Grizzlies.

Before being selected by Chicago with the ninth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, Noah played three collegiate seasons at the University of Florida, leading the Gators to back-to-back NCAA Championships in 2006 and 2007.

Patrick Beverley says if LeBron James wants NBA to resume play, it’ll happen

Clippers guard Patrick Beverley believes in Lakers forward LeBron James. Not to beat the Clippers, of course. But in regard to LeBron’s wishes for the future of the 2019-20 NBA season and playoffs. Here’s the New York Post:

If LeBron James wants the NBA to return, then that’s what will happen. That’s Patrick Beverley’s prediction, no matter what Kyrie Irving, Dwight Howard or anyone else says.

The Clippers’ pesky defensive-minded guard went on Twitter to make that clear, writing Sunday that “Hoopers say what y’all want. If @King James said he hooping. We all hooping. Not personal only BUSINESS.”

James, who reportedly was not on the call, is believed to be in favor of the plan to return to action.

So far, the only official thing in the NBA’s possible return to action this summer has been the competitive format, including the number of teams (22) playing a limited number of games leading to what will hopefully be a complete playoffs.

A look at possible Lakers and Clippers opponents when NBA season resumes

If all goes according to plan — and in today’s world, all plans are currently subject to change — 22 of the NBA’s 30 teams will resume 2019-20 season play this summer. Including, of course, Los Angeles’ two championship-contending teams, the Lakers and Clippers. Here’s the OC Register with a look at what’s in store for them when action does resume:

Who will the Clippers and Lakers play?

For the eight games ahead of the playoffs, every team will pick up its schedule where they left off. When a game comes up against a team that isn’t one of the 22 invited to Orlando, or against a team that’s already played its final eight games, they’ll skip over that opponent and move on to the next.

The Lakers are one of four teams — along with Miami, Orlando and Portland — whose remaining schedule won’t accommodate eight games by the conclusion of their schedule. The league conceivably will fill in those teams’ final games by pitting them against one another, although that’s not been determined officially.

So the Lakers’ schedule will look like this: Rockets, Nuggets, Jazz, Jazz, Raptors, Pacers, (and possibly the Trail Blazers, Heat or Magic).

The Clippers’ seeding schedule: Nets, Pelicans, Mavericks, Nuggets, Suns, Nets, Pacers, Thunder.

NBA play at the single “quarantine bubble” location of Disney Wide World of Sports in Orlando will hopefully begin around July 31.

Anthony Davis reportedly selling his house in Los Angeles

Here’s the Los Angeles Daily News with some NBA-related real estate news:

Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis, scheduled to become a free agent this summer, has listed his contemporary Mediterranean-style home in Westlake Village.

The asking price is $7.995 million.

Set atop two-plus acres in guard-gated North Ranch Country Club Estates, the five-bedroom, 15,815-square-foot house was built in 1996 and recently expanded and remodeled.

And more from the New York Post:

Dealt to the Lakers last summer, the 27-year-old Chicagoan can become an unrestricted free agent after the season if he declines his player option for 2020-21. Back in January, Davis turned down a maximum contract offer from the Lakers worth $146 million over four years, as he would be eligible for a larger contract with the Lakers by first becoming a free agent. The Lakers at the time maintained optimism they would be able to retain Davis, according to USA Today, while the superstar has danced around questions about his future.

And the Los Angeles Times:

The contemporary Mediterranean mansion sits behind gates with a guesthouse and a $1-million infinity-edge swimming pool complete with dual waterslides, a baja deck and a spa. But perhaps even more impressive: an attached basketball gymnasium featuring its own viewing box.

Custom-built in 1996 and later expanded, the roughly 16,000-square-foot house features a two-story entry with a curved staircase, a wood-paneled office and a movie theater. The kitchen is equipped with two islands. There are five bedrooms and seven bathrooms including a multi-room master suite.

The house is a bit small for our tastes, but feel free to place a bid if you don’t mind a cozy lifestyle.

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer will buy the LA Forum and build new arena near it

Big moves that Clippers ownership have focused on for a while now have taken a major step forward. Here’s the OC Register:

The owners of the Los Angeles Clippers will buy The Forum concert venue in Inglewood for $400 million as part of a settlement agreement with Madison Square Garden Co..

The agreement ends years of legal battles that threatened the feasibility of a proposed $1.2 billion Clippers arena in the city that soon will be home to an adjacent $5 billion NFL stadium for the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers. That 18,000-seat arena just south of the new NFL stadium will still move forward.

Here is info straight from the Clippers:

CAPSS LLC has reached an agreement with The Madison Square Garden Company (NYSE: MSG) to purchase The Forum in Inglewood, which will continue to operate as one of the premier live-music venues in the United States. The formation of CAPSS LLC and the acquisition of the Forum were driven by L.A. Clippers Chairman Steve Ballmer and L.A. Clippers Vice Chairman Dennis Wong.

By reaching an agreement with MSG, CAPSS LLC will acquire the Inglewood venue, simultaneously resolving litigation surrounding plans for the new NBA arena. As part of the agreement, all of MSG’s current Forum employees will be extended employment offers by the new owner.

This transaction, which remains subject to Hart-Scott-Rodino and other customary closing conditions, is expected to close during the second calendar quarter of 2020. CAPSS LLC is purchasing The Forum for $400 million in cash.

The new Clippers arena project would be a privately financed, state-of-the-art, 18,000-seat basketball arena, team headquarters complex and community center located on West Century Boulevard between South Prairie Avenue and South Yukon Avenue. The project is currently undergoing an environmental review by the City of Inglewood. Public hearings to approve the project are expected to be held later this summer.

“This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” said Ballmer. “We are committed to our investment in the City of Inglewood, which will be good for the community, the Clippers, and our fans.”

Having The Forum and the new Clippers arena under the same ownership will allow for coordinated programming between the two venues, improving traffic congestion around basketball games and concerts.

More from the Register:

Madison Square Garden Co., which bought The Forum for $23.5 million in 2012 and invested $100 million in renovations, has waged an all-out war to try to stop the Clippers from coming to the city. MSG sued Inglewood and its mayor, James T. Butts Jr., in 2018, alleging he tricked the company’s executives into giving up their rights to the land needed for the proposed arena.

The Forum’s owners claimed their fight was not about stopping the competition and instead was an attempt to protect Inglewood residents from a project that would “inflict severe traffic congestion, pollution and many other harms” on the city.

And, the Los Angeles Times reporting:

The deal is expected to close during the 2020 second quarter. The new ownership group has no plans to tear down the Forum, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2014, and will keep it operating as a concert venue…

The Clippers’ billion-dollar arena would sit less than two miles away from the Forum on West Century Boulevard, and be part of a larger Inglewood Basketball and Entertainment Complex that would house team offices, a practice facility and public outdoor spaces.

In Clippers news, Terance Mann undergoes hand surgery

L.A. Clippers guard-forward Terance Mann underwent surgery yesterday to repair a ligament in his right hand.

Mann suffered the injury during a game on March 8, 2020 while on assignment with the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario.

Mann, 23, has appeared in 35 games for the Clippers this season, averaging 1.6 points and 1.1 assists per game.

The first-year guard out of Florida State spent 20 games with the Clippers’ G League affiliate, averaging 15.4 points, 8.8 rebounds and 5.7 assists in 35.0 minutes played for Agua Caliente.

Clippers sign veteran center Joakim Noah

The L.A. Clippers signed free agent Joakim Noah today.

“Joakim is a relentless competitor and a proven winner,” said Frank. “His experience, acumen and toughness fit well in our locker room.”

Noah, a two-time NBA All-Star (2013, 2014) and former NBA Defensive Player of the Year (2014), appeared in 42 games last season for the Memphis Grizzlies, averaging 7.1 points, 2.1 assists and 5.7 rebounds. The 6’11”, 230-pound center holds career averages of 8.8 points, 2.8 assists and 9.1 rebounds in 667 appearances across 12 NBA seasons with the Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks and Grizzlies.

Per the Los Angeles Times, “Noah was scheduled to work out for team officials in September, but had to postpone because of an injury. It wasn’t until last week that he auditioned in front of the Clippers.”

Before being selected by Chicago with the ninth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, Noah played three collegiate seasons at the University of Florida, leading the Gators to back-to-back NCAA Championships in 2006 and 2007.

Kings hand Clippers another loss

Saturday afternoon in Los Angeles, the Kings came to town and beat the Clippers, 112-103. In the win, Sacramento got 20 or more points from starting guards De’Aaron Fox and Bogdan Bogdanovic as well as backup forward Kent Bazemore. The Clippers were still without starters Patrick Beverley and Paul George. Here’s the Sacramento Bee:

The Kings went nearly two years without beating the Los Angeles Clippers. Now they’ve done it twice in three weeks…

Bogdan Bogdanovic scored 20 points for the Kings (23-33), who have won eight of their last 12 games. De’Aaron Fox finished with 19 points and eight assists. Harry Giles III recorded his first career double-double, posting 14 points and 11 rebounds.

Kawhi Leonard had 31 points, eight rebounds and five assists for the Clippers (37-19). Lou Williams came off the bench to score 24 points.

The Kings made a franchise-record 21 3-point goals in a 124-103 victory over the Clippers on Jan. 30 in Los Angeles. The Kings snapped a 10-game losing streak against the Clippers with the win, beating them for the first time since March 26, 2017.

And the LA Times:

Kawhi Leonard led all scorers with 31 points and was even serenaded with “MVP” chants less than a week after the Clippers’ star was named the most valuable player of the NBA All-Star game. His dunk with 57 seconds remaining trimmed the Clippers’ deficit from eight to six, but Kings guard De’Aaron Fox answered with a layup of his own with 39 seconds remaining to effectively shutter the Clippers’ comeback and continue his torture of the Los Angeles defense.

The Clippers added a lot of depth recently, but a clear picture of the team as a whole won’t be visible until Pat and PG13 are back in action.

Clippers sign Reggie Jackson

The L.A. Clippers signed free agent guard Reggie Jackson today.

“Reggie is a proven playmaker and scorer, and we are looking forward to adding his experience and creativity to our team,” said Frank.

Jackson, 29, appeared in 14 games for the Detroit Pistons this season, averaging 14.9 points, 5.1 assists and 2.9 rebounds in 27.2 minutes. The 6’3”, 208-pound guard holds career averages of 12.9 points, 4.4 assists and 3.0 rebounds in 544 appearances across eight NBA seasons with the Oklahoma City Thunder and Detroit. Before being selected by Oklahoma City with the 24th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, Jackson played three collegiate seasons at Boston College, where as a junior he was named first-team All-ACC.

Kawhi Leonard and Clippers play Raptors in Toronto tomorrow

Tomorrow, the Clippers (18-7) visit the Raptors (16-7).

And it isn’t just a visit to say hello. They’ll play a basketball game. Against each other. And it’ll be televised nationally on ESPN. You should watch.

Here’s the OC Register on Clippers star Kawhi Leonard, who tomorrow will be playing his first game in Toronto since leaving the team in free agency this past summer after helping the Raptors win the 2019 NBA championship, their first-ever league title in franchise history:

In recent years, the 6-foot-7 forward has been hampered by lingering effects of a quadriceps injury that limited him to only nine games in his final season with the San Antonio Spurs in 2016-17. After being traded to Toronto, he was put on a “load management” schedule last season and played only 60 regular-season games before suiting up for all 24 games in the postseason, when he averaged 30.5 points, 9.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists, and claimed his second NBA title and second NBA Finals MVP.

Now, he’s averaging 25.1 points, 7.9 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 1.9 steals in 18 games for the 18-7 Clippers (who are 14-4 with Leonard in the lineup). In the first meeting with Toronto on Nov. 11, Leonard had 12 points, 11 rebounds, nine assists and three steals in a 98-88 victory.

And here’s the Toronto Star:

It’ll be surprising if the vast majority folks who make it to their seats by the appointed time don’t shower Leonard with an unequivocally raucous welcome back. He’s the reigning NBA Finals MVP, after all — Toronto’s first and only. He’s the bringer of rings, the elite addition to Masai Ujiri’s carefully curated collection of talent that transformed a perennial playoff pretender into a title defender.

Even though his time in Toronto was brief, he’ll probably be showered with cheers. At least, as he receives his championship ring.  He arrived in Toronto, was easily the team’s best player as they won the championship, then packed his things and kept it moving. Fans wish he had stayed. But he made history, and for that reason, for Raptors fans he’s a hero.

 

 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

 

 

 

A post shared by LA Clippers (@laclippers) on