Sacramento mayor to present counteroffer to keep Kings in townPosted by Inside Hoops
Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson is taking his fight to keep the Kings in California’s capital city to NBA owners.
Speaking at the annual State of Downtown breakfast on Tuesday, Johnson said he has received approval from NBA Commissioner David Stern to present a counteroffer to the league from buyers who would keep the team in Sacramento. He said the city is in a ‘’six-week sprint” to put together a proposal for the NBA’s Board of Governors to consider over a potential sale and relocation to Seattle.
The league’s deadline for teams to apply for a move for the next season is March 1, though that has been extended each of the last two years for the Kings. And both times, Johnson - a former NBA All-Star - has convinced the league that Sacramento could help fix the franchise’s financial woes and secure its long-term home in a new arena.
”We want this to be the final act of a saga that’s gone on for far too long,” Johnson said.
People with knowledge of the situation said last week that a group led by San Francisco-based investor Chris Hansen, who wants to return the NBA to Seattle, has contacted the Maloof family about buying the Kings. They spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because no deal has been reached.
– Reported by Antonio Gonzalez of the Associated Press