Mark Cuban never surprised when Dirk Nowitzki steps up

Here’s the Dallas Morning News blog reporting on the Mavericks, owner Mark Cuban and veteran star Dirk Nowitzki:

Last week, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban sort-of called out Dirk Nowitzki, saying the Mavericks needed more defense and rebounding from the future Hall of Fame forward, especially on nights when he isn’t shooting well.

Tonight, Cuban watched Nowitzki score 32 points, pull down 10 rebounds, add six assists and four steals in a 128-119 overtime victory over Oklahoma City.

Is this what you were hoping for, Mark?

“It’s not a surprise,” Cuban said. “That’s what he does.”

Cuban laughed when asked if he would take credit for lighting a fire under Nowitzki. “No, absolutely not,” he said. “It’s all Dirk.”

Besides, Cuban’s semi-critical comments occurred a full week ago. In between, the Mavericks played four games, two of them overtime losses.

In his most recent game, Sunday’s 107-104 home overtime loss to Brooklyn, Nowitzki shot 2-of-12 from the field and scored only 10 points.

Cuban, though, knew Nowitzki would bounce back.

Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman expresses frustration

Here’s the Minneapolis Star Tribune reporting on the Timberwolves, who are 34-35 this season and now 7 games behind the Phoenix Suns, who are 9th in the West.

Timberwolves star Kevin Love’s frustration over another loss and his team missing the playoffs for a 10th consecutive season became the stuff of Internet chatter Tuesday, the day after he delivered a down and distracted interview following a loss at Memphis.

Deadspin.com linked the video and concluded with a headline that “Kevin Love Is a Broken Man.” It also theorized these could be Love’s final days as a Timberwolf and suggested the team’s fans are enjoying this part of the season more than Love is.

While that is uncertain, it is certain that Love is not alone in his irritation.

“It’s always frustrating when things don’t go your way,” Wolves coach Rick Adelman said before Monday’s 109-92 blowout loss. “But it also tells you about people when you’re going through frustration. How do you react to that? In this league you have to be resilient. You have to react. I know Kevin’s frustrated. I am, too. When I take him out of the game, it seems like we can’t find too many answers. That’s just the way it is right now.

‘‘I’m frustrated I haven’t been able to find a more consistent rotation. But I don’t know, you just keep trying things.”

Sixers coach says there is no need to panic

Here’s the Philadelphia Inquirer reporting on the 76ers, who have a 15-56 record and have lost 25 games in a row.

The 76ers are the laughingstock of professional sports. They have been for weeks and have crept within one game of the NBA record for most losses in a row.

The league’s new commissioner has taken notice.

“You don’t like to see any team go through a losing streak like they currently are, or flirt with the longest losing streak in the history of the league,” Adam Silver told reporters Monday in Charlotte, N.C. “That’s bad for everyone. It’s potentially damaging to the players involved and the culture they’re trying to create.”

Sixers coach Brett Brown said Tuesday that he respects the commissioner’s opinion but added that Silver doesn’t need to worry about the Sixers.

“We are fine,” Brown said as the team prepared to play the Houston Rockets in what could be a record-tying loss Thursday at the Toyota Center. “We have this thing very much under control. There is no need for panic. My guys are great.”

Lakers score 51 points in 3rd quarter vs Knicks

Xavier Henry scored 22 points, Nick Young hit five 3-pointers while scoring 20 points, and the Los Angeles Lakers dropped a franchise-record 51 points in the third quarter of their 127-96 victory over the New York Knicks on Tuesday night.

Kent Bazemore scored 18 points as the Lakers won consecutive games for the first time in more than three weeks with a phenomenal offensive effort against the Knicks, who have lost two straight after an eight-game winning streak.

Knicks President Phil Jackson watched his new team and his former club from a luxury suite high above the court.

Carmelo Anthony scored 29 points for the Knicks, who couldn’t stop the Lakers’ patchwork roster from hitting 18 3-pointers in the opener of New York’s five-game West Coast road trip.

Young hit five 3-pointers, and Jodie Meeks added four as Los Angeles finished one 3-pointer shy of the single-game club record.

— Associated Press

The Knicks had talked about needing to go 5-0 on this West Coast trip to put themselves in good position but instead they look like a team destined to go 0-5. It gave Jackson ammunition to blow up this thing after the season. They face the Kings in Sacramento Wednesday.

The 51 points was a franchise record for futility for most points allowed in a single quarter. Mike D’Antoni’s Lakers (24-46) could set their worst record since moving to Los Angeles in 1960, but the Knicks made them look like the Showtime Lakers.

— New York Post

Blazers re-assign Allen Crabbe to D-League

The Portland Trail Blazers have assigned rookie guard Allen Crabbe to the NBA Development League’s Idaho Stampede, it was announced today by General Manager Neil Olshey.

Crabbe, 21, is averaging 2.1 points, 0.3 rebounds, 0.3 assists and 5.1 minutes in 14 games for the Trail Blazers this season. Acquired by Portland in a draft day trade with Cleveland, Crabbe was the 31st overall selection in the 2013 NBA Draft out of California.

Crabbe averaged 16.7 points (42.6 FG%) and 5.3 rebounds in three games during his first assignment to the Stampede from March 10-16.

Ryan Anderson will not return to play this season for Pelicans

Ryan Anderson will not return to play this season for Pelicans

The New Orleans Pelicans announced today that Ryan Anderson will miss the remainder of the season due to a herniated cervical disc. Anderson was injured on January 3, 2014 in a game against the Boston Celtics.

After consulting with a team of physicians, it has been determined that surgery will provide Anderson the best opportunity to have a full recovery. Anderson will undergo surgery on April 8, 2014.

In 22 games this season, Anderson averaged 19.8 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 0.8 assists in 36.1 minutes per game. The sixth-year veteran holds career averages of 12.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 0.9 assists in 357 games.

Nuggets forward J.J. Hickson has knee surgery

Nuggets forward J.J. Hickson undergoes knee surgery

Denver Nuggets forward J.J. Hickson underwent surgery this morning to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, Nuggets General Manager and Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Tim Connelly announced today.

The procedure was performed by team physician Dr. Steve Traina at Midtown Surgical Center.

Hickson, who signed with Denver as a free agent on July 11, 2013, averaged 11.8 points and 9.2 rebounds in 69 games (52 starts). He also posted a team-leading 26 double-doubles.

“J.J. is an extremely tough player who made an impact for us all season,” Connelly said. “We know he will attack his rehab with the same energy and hard work that he displays on the court every night.”

Bobcats arena needs upgrades if they want to host an NBA All-Star weekend

Here’s the Charlotte Observer reporting:

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said Monday Charlotte could host a future All-Star Game.

First, he said, the city must upgrade Time Warner Cable Arena, which needs $41.9 million of work, according to a list of needs compiled by the Charlotte Bobcats and the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority.

“I’d love to bring the All-Star Game back here,” Silver said before the Bobcats game with the Houston Rockets. “This is a wonderful community, a hotbed of basketball, not just pro but college as well.”

He added: “There are some upgrades to the building that are needed. I know those discussions are underway right now. It’s part of the understanding here that the building remain state-of-the-art. Nothing dramatic is needed. But certainly an upgrade to the scoreboard, some things with the suites and the lighting.”

Walter McCarty wants Boston College head basketball coach job

Here’s the Boston Herald reporting on Walter McCarty and Boston College:

The list of candidates for the head basketball coach’s position at Boston College includes Walter McCarty, the Herald has learned.

And the Celtics assistant coach acknowledged yesterday he is intent on exploring the possibility.

“I’m very interested,” said McCarty, who spent 71⁄2 years as a player for the Celts. “I want to be highly considered. I love the city. I have great ties in the city. I have a great foundation here, especially with recruiting.

“If you look at Louisville’s 2013 national championship team, four of those five starters were my guys. So I’m very confident in my ability to coach and lead a program. I think that I’m ready.”