Knicks coach Mike Woodson wants J.R. Smith to pull his pants up

jr smith

Knicks coach Mike Woodson continued his spiel that J.R. Smith needs to be more professional “on and off the court,” even taking on the fashion statement the player makes.

Woodson had a long talk with Smith in the wake of Tuesday’s ejection with 10.7 seconds left in Indiana for throwing down Leandro Barbosa.

“I told him I’m going to continue to coach him as long as I’m coaching the team,” Woodson said at the Thursday morning shootaround at Amway Center. “I told him I’m not going to let him off the hook. I want his shorts pulled up. I want him to look presentable. Be a professional. That’s what it’s all about.’’

In following a new fashion trend for youth, Smith likes to wear his pants and shorts around the hips in what has been termed as “sagging,’’ exposing underwear.

— Reported by Marc Berman of the New York Post (Blog)

Syracuse center Fab Melo will enter 2012 NBA Draft

Syracuse sophomore Fab Melo has announced his intention to sign with an agent and put his name into the 2012 NBA Draft.

Melo issued the following statement:

“After meeting with my mother, my family and Coach Boeheim, I have decided to enter my name in to the 2012 NBA Draft. Being able to play professional basketball has been my dream since I first starting playing this game and now I have the opportunity to accomplish that dream. Coach Boeheim, Coach Hopkins and the rest of the Syracuse staff have helped me develop as a player and as a man and I will always be appreciative for what they’ve done for me. I wish Syracuse University, the basketball program and the Syracuse fans nothing but the best.”

Steve Nash wants new 3-year contract

Steve Nash

With the Phoenix Suns clinging to their playoff lives in the Western Conference, star point guard Steve Nash insists his back feels “the best it’s felt in a decade.”

Nash, who turned 38 in February, also told ESPN.com in a phone interview before Tuesday night’s game in Sacramento he intends to “sign for three more years this summer” and play beyond his 40th birthday when he either inks a new deal to stay with the Suns or finds a new team via free agency.

Responding to a New York Post report in Tuesday’s editions which described the condition of Nash’s back as “bad as it has ever been,” Nash strongly disputed such suggestions. He expressed great satisfaction with the way his health has held up through the rigors of a lockout-compacted schedule that called for 66 regular-season games in a span of about 120 days.

“It’s been my best year physically from start to finish in a long time,” Nash said. “Other than a little tweak (last week) against San Antonio, my back’s been pretty close to 100 percent.”

— Reported by Marc Stein of ESPN.com

Melo scores 39 but Knicks lose to Pacers

michael redd

The matchup was reminiscent of the classic Pacers-Knicks games from the 1990s. The crowd was electric, the action was chippy, Reggie Miller jerseys were plentiful, and Indiana rallied from a seemingly hopeless deficit to win.

Danny Granger played the role of Miller, scoring 14 of his 27 points in the fourth quarter as the Pacers rallied from 17 points down late in the third quarter to take a 112-104 victory on Tuesday night.

Granger made all three of his 3-pointers in the fourth quarter, a fitting performance one day after Miller was announced as a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame’s 2012 class…

Paul George scored 12 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter and reserves Leandro Barbosa and Dahntay Jones added 12 points each for the Pacers.

Carmelo Anthony scored a season-high 39 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Knicks. Landry Fields scored 15 points and Tyson Chandler added 12 points and 14 rebounds for New York, which fell to 9-3 under interim coach Mike Woodson.

— Reported by the Associated Press

Cablevision and Madison Square Garden issue statement in response to NY Daily News

The New York Daily News is one of NYC’s major newspapers, and they cover the Knicks, of course. Generally, teams benefit from media coverage. The more, the better, usually — provided it’s quality coverage, of course. But this article from the Daily News concerning guard Jeremy Lin’s injury and fan playoff ticket purchases has angered team owners, resulting in the following:

Cablevision Systems Corporation and The Madison Square Garden Company today issued the following statements on the New York Daily News:

Cablevision Systems Corporation statement: “Today’s story in the New York Daily News is just another in a long list of articles and cover stories designed to provoke Cablevision and The Madison Square Garden Company.  Mr. Zuckerman has engaged in a campaign of intimidation and extortion to effect a merger between Newsday and the Daily News.  He has made repeated overtures to Mr. Dolan and his executives to combine the operations with joint ownership and shared printing and editorial expense.  This proposal was rejected multiple times.  In fact, at a Four Seasons lunch meeting on March 6, Mr. Zuckerman once again made his proposal, this time adding that “the bad press would end if we became joint owners” (a direct quote).  Shortly thereafter, the Daily News ran a full front page with Mr. Dolan’s picture as a centerpiece for a skull and crossbones graphic that included the word “Toxic” in bold print.  Today’s back page story is just another in a series of these defamatory extortions.”

The Madison Square Garden Company statement: “Today’s Daily News story is completely inaccurate, and serves only as another example of fabricated reporting by Mr. Zuckerman’s newspaper.   The suggestion that the timing of Jeremy Lin’s injury report is in any way connected to a longstanding Knicks playoff ticket deadline is a malicious attack on The Madison Square Garden Company.   Jeremy Lin decided on Saturday to have surgery now in hopes that he would be able to return in time for, or at least during, the playoffs.  The Knicks have sold out 61 games in a row, including last season’s playoffs, and as standard practice we provided season ticket holders a first opportunity benefit to reserve playoff tickets before going on sale to the general public.”

Cablevision President and CEO and The Madison Square Garden Company Executive Chairman Jim Dolan said, “I understand that there will always be those who are critical of anyone who owns a controlling interest in three New York sports franchises.  But, Mr. Zuckerman’s attempts to parlay this into a favorable arrangement for himself could not be more misguided.”

Note: Cablevision Systems Corporation and The Madison Square Garden Company are separate companies, both controlled by the Dolan family.

Amar’e Stoudemire out indefinitely with back injury

Amar'e Stoudemire

Amar’e Stoudemire has a bulging disk in his back and is out indefinitely, a damaging blow to the New York Knicks with a month left in the regular season.

The Knicks weren’t competitive in the playoffs last year when Stoudemire developed a back problem, and any hopes of even qualifying for the postseason are in jeopardy now that he has another one.

“You don’t wish it on any player, especially Amare, who’s a big part of what we do,” Knicks interim coach Mike Woodson said Monday before the Knicks played the Milwaukee Bucks. “All we can is just hope that it’s not as serious as it may be and that he has a speedy recovery.”

Stoudemire sat out the fourth quarter of the Knicks’ victory over Detroit on Saturday after he said his back tightened up. He said after the game he wasn’t concerned and believed he would play Monday.

However, he didn’t attend the Knicks’ morning shootaround and had an MRI in the afternoon that revealed the injury. The Knicks said he doesn’t need surgery and the injury will be treated with rehabilitation.

— Reported by Brian Mahoney of the Associated Press

DeRozan scores 30, Raptors end Knicks’ streak

Raptors coach Dwane Casey came up with just the thing to slow down the surging New York Knicks: a zone.

DeMar DeRozan scored 30 points before leaving with a sore left ankle, Andrea Bargnani had 21 and the Raptors routed the Knicks 96-79 Friday night, snapping New York’s five-game winning streak.

“The zone knocked us on our heels,” Knicks center Tyson Chandler said. “We had trouble finding ways to score against it and that really was the outcome because we never got a rhythm or momentum.” …

New York shot just 32 for 85 (38 percent) and no Knicks player made more than six field goals…

Gary Forbes scored 19 points, one shy of his career-high, and Jose Calderon had 10 assists as Toronto snapped a three-game skid. Forbes said the Raptors “played with a chip on our shoulder.” …

Amare Stoudemire scored 17 points, Steve Novak had 15 and Carmelo Anthony 12 for the Knicks, who came in having won six of seven against the Raptors, including three straight in Toronto.

Jeremy Lin made a game-winning 3-pointer on New York’s last visit to Toronto, a 90-87 victory on Feb. 14, but was held in check this time, finishing with six points.

— Reported by the Associated Press

Nuggets waive center Ronny Turiaf

Ronny Turiaf
ronny turiaf
Has a really long beard

The Denver Nuggets have waived C Ronny Turiaf, Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri announced today.

InsideHoops.com has heard that the team will probably bring Wilson Chandler back to the squad soon, possibly as early as today.

Turiaf, 6-10, 245, was acquired along with C JaVale McGee and a second-round pick in a three-team trade with the Washington Wizards and Los Angeles Clippers on March 15. He played four games with the Wizards this season, averaging 1.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg and 1.3 apg.

In 362 career games (89 starts) over seven seasons with Washington, New York, Golden State and L.A. Lakers, Turiaf averaged 5.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.5 apg and 1.36 bpg.

Knicks hire Jim Todd and Darrell Walker as assistant coaches

The New York Knickerbockers announced today that Jim Todd and Darrell Walker have joined Head Coach Mike Woodson’s staff as assistant coaches.

Todd is reunited with Woodson, after serving as an assistant coach in Atlanta from 2008-10, and then most recently, served as an assistant coach with the Sacramento Kings this season (2011-12). In 2010-11, he coached in China and was an assistant coach for the Canadian men’s national basketball team at the 2010 FIBA World Championship Games in Turkey. Previously, he was an assistant coach in Milwaukee, alongside Mike Woodson, under Head Coach Chris Ford from 1996-98. He also served as an assistant coach for Milwaukee (2002-04; 2007-08), Toronto (2004-07) and the L.A. Clippers (1998-2000), for whom he finished the 1999-2000 season as the interim head coach.

Walker brings more than a decade of coaching experience to the Knicks, having served as both an NBA assistant coach and an NBA head coach. He was most recently an assistant coach with the Detroit Pistons (2007-08 through 2009-10), following roles as an assistant coach with the New Orleans Hornets (2004-08) and the Toronto Raptors (1995-96). He was promoted to head coach of Toronto in 1996-97, compiling a record of 41-90 over parts of two seasons. He also served as the interim head coach of the Washington Wizards in 1999-00, posting a 15-23 record.

Walker was originally selected by New York in the first round (12th pick overall) of the 1983 NBA Draft, posting 10.6 points, 4.2 assists and 2.7 rebounds over 23.8 minutes in 245 games (101 starts) over three seasons. In 720 career NBA games, he averaged 8.9 points, 4.6 assists and 4.4 rebounds over 25.8 minutes over 10 seasons with New York, Denver, Washington, Detroit and Chicago.

Melo doesn’t want to be called a coach-killer

carmelo anthony

The day after receiving most of the blame for Mike D’Antoni’s resignation as Knicks coach, Carmelo Anthony tried to defend himself and his reputation.

Anthony said he did what D’Antoni asked of him and doesn’t want to be known as a coach-killer.

“That bothers me because I never want that label on me,” Anthony said Thursdayafter Mike Woodson’s first practice as Knicks interim coach. “I did everything in my power to try and communicate with coach Mike, talk with coach Mike, have a great relationship with coach Mike. Even right now, I feel we have a great relationship.”

Amar’e Stoudemire said D’Antoni left because he became “frustrated” that “everyone wasn’t buying into his system,” but Anthony denied that there was division in the locker room.

Anthony also became very defensive when a reporter said he proved not everyone can thrive in D’Antoni’s offense. The Knicks went 26-37, playoffs included, with Anthony in the lineup under D’Antoni. His defensive stance continued when he was asked to react to his ex-coach reportedly feeling he couldn’t get the best out of him.

— Reported by Al Iannazzone of New York Newsday