Knicks and Erie BayHawks of D-League enter single affiliation partnership

The Erie BayHawks, the New York Knicks and the NBA Development League announced today that the Knicks and BayHawks have entered into a single affiliation partnership beginning with the 2011-12 season. The Knicks will be the BayHawks’ sole NBA affiliate and will have control over the team’s basketball operations.

In a model similar to other minor leagues, this partnership, also referred to as the “hybrid affiliation,” allows for NBA teams to secure control over and cover the expenses related to the basketball operations of an NBA D-League team, while partnering with existing ownership, which maintains responsibility for the team’s off-the-court business operations.

The Knicks are the third NBA team to enter into a hybrid affiliation with an NBA D-League team, joining the Houston Rockets, with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, and the New Jersey Nets, with the Springfield Armor. The other NBA teams with lone NBA D-League affiliates are the Oklahoma City Thunder and the San Antonio Spurs, who fully own and operate the Tulsa 66ers and Austin Toros, respectively, and the Dallas Mavericks with the Texas Legends. The Knicks’ partnership with Erie comes on the heels of the NBA D-League’s 10th and most successful season, while 23 percent of all NBA players have used the NBA D-League as a launching pad.

“The New York Knicks’ single affiliation partnership with the Erie BayHawks marks yet another positive step forward in the NBA D-League’s continued evolution as the NBA’s official minor league,” said NBA D-League President Dan Reed. “We’re very excited to have the Knicks join a growing number of NBA teams who are realizing the benefits of a one-to-one relationship with their NBA D-League affiliate.”

Knicks Assistant General Manager Allan Houston was appointed BayHawks General Manager, Basketball Operations by Knicks President, Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh.

“The opportunity to have this new agreement with the Erie BayHawks and the NBA D-League is very exciting for the New York Knicks,” Houston said. “The impact of the NBA D-League continues to grow, and we look forward to this partnership.”

The BayHawks were previously affiliated with the Cleveland Cavaliers and Toronto Raptors. Their new NBA D-League affiliates will be announced at a later date.

“The entire Erie BayHawks organization appreciates all that the Cleveland Cavaliers and Toronto Raptors did to help us launch and become a successful NBA D-League team, and we are thrilled to begin a single affiliation with the New York Knicks,” said Erie Majority Owner and Managing Partner Steve Demetriou. “This hybrid relationship will further strengthen our franchise as the Knicks focus on overseeing the basketball operations, while team president Matt Bresee and his talented staff continue to grow the business side of the Erie BayHawks.”

Charles Oakley says Vegas assault led to back problem

The AP reports:

charles oakley

Charles Oakley, one of the NBA’s all-time tough guys, may not return to the Charlotte Bobcats’ bench next season because of a painful back condition he says was caused during an assault last year in Las Vegas.

Oakley, who was in his first season as an assistant coach, had to be carried from the bench before a game in San Antonio on March 19. He missed Charlotte’s final 13 games with a sciatic nerve problem.

The 47-year-old Oakley, still moving gingerly, attended Charlotte’s workout of draft prospects Saturday. As he contemplates surgery, Oakley said he told general manager Rod Higgins to consider replacing him on coach Paul Silas’ staff…

Oakley has sued the Aria hotel-casino, claiming he was beaten by security guards in May 2010. Oakley is convinced the incident led to his current condition…

The complaint contends five officers wrestled the 6-foot-9 Oakley to the ground and punched and handcuffed him after a verbal dispute over whether Oakley could return to a VIP pool area. It said Oakley was taken to the hospital with injuries to his neck, back, head and wrist. Oakley said Saturday two slipped disks suffered in the incident led to the sciatic nerve condition.

Donnie Walsh will leave Knicks position as president, just be consultant for 2011-12

The following is a statement from James L. Dolan, executive chairman, The Madison Square Garden Company, regarding the New York Knicks:

“Following a long series of discussions regarding his future role with the New York Knicks, Donnie Walsh and I have mutually agreed that he will be leaving his position as president, basketball operations of the Knicks at the end of June. Donnie will remain with the team as a consultant for the 2011-12 season. In a relatively short time with the Knicks, Donnie made a tremendous impact, which will be felt for many years to come. We thank Donnie for his leadership, hard work and many contributions to the revitalization of the team.

“We will now begin an immediate search for a new president and general manager, but do not have a timetable for the decision. Glen Grunwald, the Knicks’ senior vice president, basketball operations, will serve as interim general manager beginning in July, overseeing all player transactions. With some of the NBA’s premier players, an outstanding coach and one of the league’s most passionate and loyal fanbases, we are extremely confident about the future of the Knicks franchise.”

The AP reports: Walsh and D’Antoni arrived in New York following the 2007-08 season and immediately went to work cleaning up the mess left by Isiah Thomas, who had served in both roles. For Walsh, that meant spending two seasons reducing one of the league’s highest payrolls, getting the Knicks far enough under the salary cap to afford two top players last summer. The Knicks got only Stoudemire but traded for Anthony in February and finished 42-40, their first winning record in a decade. They were swept by Boston in their first postseason since 2004, and the roster needs significant upgrades to compete with the top teams in the Eastern Conference. Walsh had said he wanted to return, but he has battled health problems and didn’t appear to have complete basketball control, with Dolan still relying on the advice of Thomas even after Walsh fired him.

Read fan reaction and discuss your own opinion in this forum topic.

Barclays Center of Brooklyn names John Sparks GM

The Barclays Center of Brooklyn has named John Sparks as its General Manager, in which he will oversee the operations of the world-class sports and entertainment venue set to open September 28, 2012.

One of the nation’s most experienced major facility managers, Sparks will be responsible for food and beverage, security, event coordination/services, and parking.

Sparks will also be involved in several aspects of the development of the Barclays Center, including the completion of the standard operating procedures.

Sparks joins the Barclays Center after nine years with Spurs Sports & Entertainment, which included his serving as Vice President/General Manager of San Antonio’s AT&T Center since November 2004. Sparks had been charged with overseeing AT&T Center construction and establishing day-to-day operational procedures for the building.

Prior to joining Spurs Sports & Entertainment, Sparks was director of operations for Philips Arena during which he helped to open the Atlanta sports and entertainment venue.

“John has significant experience in launching major new sports and entertainment facilities,” said Brett Yormark, president and CEO of Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment, the sales and marketing arm of the Barclays Center. “He brings to us a wealth of best practices and will be instrumental in guiding our operational transition to Brooklyn.”

A native of Los Angeles, Sparks served in the Navy from 1977-97, retiring as a Master Chief Petty Officer.

Kim Kardashian engaged to Kris Humphries

US Magazine reports:

Sorry, fellas: Kim Kardashian is officially off the market!

The reality superstar and mogul is engaged to basketball beau Kris Humphries, her rep confirms to Us Weekly.

Kim Kardashian engaged to Kris Humphries

Kardashian, 30, and New Jersey Nets forward Humprhies, 26, began dating in December, and the duo quickly became serious.

Indeed, last month, a Kardashian insider told Us that the E! star planned to move to NYC in order to be closer to her man. “This is it for her,” the source said. “I foresee an engagement this summer.”

People magazine reports:

It was a dream come true for Kim Kardashian when she walked into her Beverly Hills home May 18. Her boyfriend of six months, New Jersey Nets forward Kris Humphries, was waiting in her bedroom on bended knee with four words written in red rose petals: “WILL YOU MARRY ME?”

“I didn’t expect this at all,” Kardashian, 30, tells PEOPLE in an exclusive interview (out Friday) of the romantic, surprise proposal. “I was in such shock. I never thought it would happen at home, and I never thought now.”

InsideHoops.com editor says: As someone who dates Kim Kardashian lookalikes on a regular basis, I know how Humphries is feeling right now. Good for him!

Read fan reaction and discuss your own opinion in this forum topic.

Charles Oakley sues Las Vegas resort over `beat down`

The AP reports:

Charles Oakley sues Las Vegas resort over `beat down`

Charles Oakley, one of the NBA’s all-time tough guys and now a Charlotte Bobcats assistant, has sued a Las Vegas resort over what he calls a May 2010 “gang-style beat down” by security guards who injured him.

Oakley filed the lawsuit Thursday in Clark County District Court against the Aria hotel-casino at MGM Resorts International’s CityCenter complex, the Las Vegas Sun reported. Five security officers also were named in the lawsuit.

Oakley was an invited guest at Aria’s VIP pool area May 28 when he left the area, the complaint says, but security officers and staff prevented him from re-entering.

After a “verbal altercation” with officers, Oakley attempted to return to his room when he was “assaulted” by them in a secluded area of the resort, the lawsuit alleges.

Read fan reaction and discuss your own opinion in this forum topic.

For sale: Seats from Madison Square Garden

Over the next few summers, Madison Square Garden is renovating. It’ll look pretty different next Knicks season, and vastly different a year later. So naturally there’s plenty of stuff in MSG worth collecting (or throwing out, depending on how big a fan you are). Here’s the info:

The Madison Square Garden Company and Steiner Sports Collectibles announced today that they are partnering to offer collectors and avid fans the chance to own a piece of The World’s Most Famous Arena. MSG-Steiner Collectibles which already offers fans rare and unique artifacts, memorabilia and hand-signed items for the Knicks, Rangers, and Liberty, will now be offering fans a variety of unique exclusive Madison Square Garden memorabilia as a result of The Garden Transformation. The first items that will be available beginning today are authentic seats from The Garden. The announcement was made by Steiner chairman Brandon Steiner and Scott O’Neil, president of MSG Sports.

“While construction crews work around the clock to transform The World’s Most Famous Arena into the world’s most spectacular arena, we were intent on preserving some history for our best and most loyal fans. We have the seat you sat in for the ’94 Stanley Cup run and Larry Johnson’s 4-point play, and the seat you stood next to when you went to see Elton John or Billy Joel for the fifth time,” said O’Neil. “MSG-Steiner Collectibles is offering these seats as well as other one-of-a-kind pieces that represent not just Madison Square Garden’s history, but New Yorkers and visitors from around the world’s history at Madison Square Garden.”

“What a showcase item,” said Steiner. “It will be a kick to watch a game televised on MSG Network at home, sitting in a Garden chair.”

Madison Square Garden is currently undergoing a comprehensive top-to-bottom transformation that will make the Arena a state-of-the-art building. During the current Knicks and Rangers offseason the arena is shut down to complete work on the lower bowl. When the building opens for the 2011-12 seasons it will include all new lower bowl seating area, expanded Madison Concourse (lower concourse) with city views and additional food and beverage offerings, all new Event Level Suites and club spaces. The current Madison Square Garden opened in 1968; this is the fourth location for the Arena. Additional memorabilia from The Garden will be available through MSG-Steiner Collectibles at a later date.

The Madison Square Garden seats are priced at $899.99 for a pair and $549.99 for an individual seat, and are available in two colors, fuchsia and teal. To order call 800-759-SCORE or log onto www.PieceofTheGarden.com.

Knicks may force Mike D`Antoni to hire defensive-minded assistant coach

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News reports:

As Donnie Walsh seeks to regain full autonomy within the Knicks organization, Mike D’Antoni could be losing some of his power on the Knicks’ bench.

According to several sources, the front office will encourage D’Antoni to revamp his coaching staff to hire a defensive coach. In the past, D’Antoni has been reluctant to seek outside help, most famously refusing Steve Kerr’s request four years ago to hire Tom Thibodeau in Phoenix. Thibodeau landed in Boston in 2007, and helped the Celtics win the title three seasons ago. He now is head coach of the top-seeded Bulls.

D’Antoni is under contract through next season and is expected to be retained after leading the Knicks to their first postseason appearance in seven years. However, under D’Antoni the Knicks have been among the league’s weaker defensive teams, which is something Walsh would like to change.

Memphis assistant Dave Joerger, Orlando’s Steve Clifford, Portland’s Bill Bayno and Chicago’s Ron Adams are all regarded as top defensive coaches. Another possibility for the Knicks is Thibodeau’s replacement in Boston, Lawrence Frank, the former Nets’ coach. Frank’s contract expires this summer.

Read fan reaction and discuss your own opinion in this forum topic.

Knicks exercise option to keep Chauncey Billups for 2011-12 season

chauncey billups

The New York Knicks have a pair of star forwards in Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire, and today made a decision to keep one of the roster’s only other proven assets on board for next season.

“We have made a decision to keep Chauncey Billups for the upcoming 2011-12 season,” said Knicks team president Donnie Walsh in a statement. “Chauncey, Amar’e and Carmelo are a great nucleus, as we continue to look to improve our team going into the off-season. Chauncey is an extremely talented and experienced point guard – we are very happy to have him back.”

According to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News, the Knicks have decided to pick up the one-year, $14.2 million option on Chauncey Billups’ contract.

As the most talented guard on the Knicks roster, Billups is past his prime, but provides leadership, competitiveness, scoring and experience.

In the future, the team is expected to eventually target young star point guards Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

Read fan reaction and share your own opinion in this forum topic.

Knicks may seek to bring Wilson Chandler back this summer

Marc Berman of the New York Post reports:

Knicks may seek to bring Wilson Chandler back this summer

The Knicks would have to get lucky, but one of their targets this summer is to bring Wilson Chandler back into the fold, The Post has learned.

Chandler, who was dispatched to Denver in the Carmelo Anthony trade, will be a restricted free agent, and a source said he would love to return to the Knicks. And the Knicks would love to have him back, as coach Mike D’Antoni believes he’s the perfect versatile fit for his system who does so many things, including rebound. Chandler’s Nuggets trail Oklahoma City 3-1 in the first round.

Chandler’s new agent is Happy Walters, who also represents Amar’e Stoudemire and Knicks surprise reserve standout Shawne Williams, also a free agent whom the Knicks would like to bring back.