Could Dirk Nowitzki really be done in two years?

Could Dirk Nowitzki really be done in two years?

Nothing has changed for Nowitzki in terms of how he views his basketball future once this contract expires. He has consistently said since he signed the four-year, $80 million deal that it could be his last NBA contract.

Nowitzki’s loyalty to the Mavs, and Cuban, hasn’t wavered. He made that clear later during his impromptu weekend Twitter Q&A when asked why he doesn’t try to jump to a so-called super team.

“I bleed blue,” Nowitzki replied.

Maybe the quality of the Mavs’ roster will influence Nowitzki’s decision on whether to continue his career into his late 30s. Maybe he’ll figure he needs to play for a legitimate contender to muster the competitive fire at that point in life.

— Reported by Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas

Houston Rockets arena to install huge HD video screens

After a summer of dramatic renovations left the Rockets’ roster nearly unrecognizable from the previous one, the remodeling high above the court at Toyota Center could prove even more stunning.

It seems certain to be more long-lasting.

For the start of the team’s 10th season in Toyota Center, which will include the return of All-Star Weekend to Houston, the Rockets will unveil widespread upgrades to the arena, including the move to high-definition video screens billed as the largest in any North American arena.

“We wanted to make sure we created a better experience,” Rockets CEO Tad Brown said. “We think this is going to put us on another level.”

The entire project — from upgraded Wi-Fi to a new control room to run the video screen and game presentation — will cost roughly $15 million.

— Reported by Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle (Blog)

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute on track in recovery process

Mbah a Moute, who will turn 26 years old on Sept. 9, underwent surgery to repair his right patella tendon in May, following the 2011-’12 season.

“I feel good. The knee is getting better,” Mbah a Moute said. “I’m right on track to be back for the beginning of the season. I’m just excited to be healthy again.”

Mbah a Moute was a restricted free agent last year during the lockout and got a late start with the Bucks due to his contract situation, as Milwaukee matched a four-year, $19 million offer made by the Denver Nuggets. Then he immediately encountered problems with his knee, problems that continued throughout the season and limited him to 43 games (22 starts).

“At this point I’m not sure,” Mbah a Moute said of being ready on the opening day of training camp in early October. “My goal is to be ready for camp, but if not, make sure I’m ready. I don’t want to rush that.”

— Reported by Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on August 31

Wizards have made some key changes

Since their fourth consecutive lottery season ended, the Wizards have said farewell, directly and otherwise, to Rashard Lewis, Andray Blatche, Roger Mason Jr., James Singleton, Maurice Evans, Brian Cook and Morris Almond. Those spots have been filled by Bradley Beal, Emeka Okafor, Trevor Ariza, A.J. Price and Martell Webster – a rookie and four players with at least three years of NBA experience, all under the age of 30. Cartier Martin re-signed.

After announcing that Webster had inked his new deal, Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld said on Wednesday that the team would “in all likelihood” go with 14 players when training camp begins on Oct. 2 at George Mason. “But that remains to be seen,” Grunfeld said. “We’ll see what opportunities are there. If other opportunities come up, we’ll look at them.”

The Wizards have a mix of veterans and youngsters, with eight players on the roster – Wall, Beal, Jordan Crawford, Kevin Seraphin, Trevor Booker, Shelvin Mack, Jan Vesely and Chris Singleton – with two seasons or less of NBA experience. They have players who can attack the glass in Nene, Emeka Okafor and Booker. They have shooters in Beal, Webster and Martin. They even have a backup point guard in Price.

— Reported by Michael Lee of the Washington Post (Blog)

Dwyane Wade begins book tour

Dwyane Wade begins book tour

It won’t be difficult to play “Where’s Wade?” this week. Dwyane Wade is about to hit New York like a cyclone with the start of his book tour.

“A Father First: How my life became bigger than basketball” will be released Tuesday, which also is when the Miami Heat’s All-Star guard will storm Manhattan.

From Letterman to Calvin Klein, from ESPN to CNN, Wade is about to enter a whirlwind week that culminates with three South Florida book signings this coming weekend.

Two weeks after that, training camp will open.

For Wade, it starts Tuesday on ABC Radio, continues with two segments alongside Barbara Walters, Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar on “The View,” then a book signing on 5th Avenue, a mid-afternoon media session at the NBA Store, a late-afternoon taping of “The Late Show with David Letterman” and an ESPN fashion panel followed by an ESPN book party at Lincoln Center.

And that’s just Tuesday.

— Reported by Ira WInderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Dwight Howard expresses love for Orlando in newspaper ad

Dwight Howard is professing his love for the city of Orlando and its fans.

Howard purchased a full-page ad in today’s Orlando Sentinel to convey the message.

In that ad, which appears on Page C7, Howard said, “To play the game of basketball in the NBA is a blessing and to have had the opportunity to play before the Orlando fans for eight years was truly a privilege and an honor.”

— Reported by Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel (And, link to Dwight’s ad)

Spurs making Scott Layden their new assistant general manager

Scott Layden, the Utah assistant coach and former general manager who the Spurs interviewed early this week, has agreed to become the team’s new assistant general manager. Yahoo Sports! first reported the move, which has not yet been formally announced.

Layden was the Jazz general manager from 1992-99, helping to orchestrate two NBA finalist appearances in Utah. He also served as the GM in New York from 1999-2003, but enjoyed considerably less success there.

— Reported by Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News

Blake Ahearn expected to sign with Indiana Pacers

Former Utah Jazz reserve point guard Blake Ahearn is expected to sign a partially guaranteed contract with the Indiana Pacers, a league source informed The Salt Lake Tribune on Saturday.

Ahearn was signed by the Jazz via a 10-day contract last season. He remained on Utah’s roster throughout the playoffs and was a member of the Jazz’s Summer League team.

— Reported by Brian T. Smith of the Salt Lake Tribune

Nets may want Andray Blatche

Nets may want Andray Blatche

The Nets’ ongoing search for frontcourt depth has led them to Houston, and a meeting with Andray Blatche, who was cut this summer by the Washington Wizards.

Blatche, 26, has been working out in Houston with a number of other N.B.A. players, under the guidance of John Lucas. He was set to meet with Nets Coach Avery Johnson sometime this weekend, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting. It was not clear whether the Nets were prepared to make Blatche an immediate offer or were simply exploring their options.

— Reported by Howard Beck of the New York Times (Blog)

Knicks may want Sean Williams

Knicks may want Sean Williams

A source familiar with the Knicks’ free-agency plans told ESPNNewYork.com that the team is considering signing forward-center Sean Williams, who was waived by the Rockets this week.

There has been some speculation that the Knicks are interested in unrestricted free agent Josh Howard, but according to the source, they are not into him. Instead, the team wants to add a big man — likely to serve as a backup to Amare Stoudemire on the depth chart. Currently, they don’t have one.

There are more attractive bigs on the market, like Kenyon Martin, Andray Blatche, Louis Amundson, Chris Andersen and D.J. White. But those players have been looking for more than the veteran’s minimum, which is all the Knicks can offer.

— Reported by Jared Zwerling of ESPN New York