The Orange County Register (Kevin Ding) reports: Andrew Bynum will likely receive a maximum-value contract extension this month worth nearly $90 million over five years. Pau Gasol has nearly $50 million over three years left on his massive contract – also new money being spent by Jerry Buss when you consider the Lakers acquired Gasol for Kwame Brown’s contract that expired at the end of last season. With the Lakers paying Bynum and Gasol that kind of coin into the future behind one Kobe Bryant, it’s just not in the budget to keep paying Lamar Odom his current wage – $14.3 million this season – or more. There were no talks over the summer about a contract extension for Odom for good reason: The Lakers can’t possibly do it. If the Lakers win the title this season, the only way to keep the team intact figures to be Odom accepting a massive pay cut. And the only way that even becomes a realistic possibility is if Odom has a bad year – at least in the statistical sense, which fewer minutes as a sixth man might trigger.
No contract extension for Hedo Turkoglu
The Orlando Sentinel (Brian Schmitz) reports: Magic General Manager Otis Smith reiterated Wednesday that the club doesn’t have any plans to give forward Hedo Turkoglu a contract extension before this season plays out. Some teams offer star players extensions before they can become free agents. “You can do an extension, but wouldn’t I be negotiating against myself right now?” Smith said. “I like Turk. I like what he does for our team. It’s way too early, way premature, for this.”
InsideHoops.com editor says: No big deal. Turkoglu had a breakout season last year. If he keeps playing on that level, he’ll probably get the deal he wants.
Pat Burke signs in Poland
The East Valley Tribune (Jerry Brown) reports: Suns fan favorite Pat Burke will be continuing his basketball career. The 34-year-old signed with Polish champion Asseco Prokam this week, continuing his tour of European basketball to yet another outpost. Burke hooked on with Khimky in the Russian League last season, where he played in 11 games, after some bad luck in October.
InsideHoops.com editor says: He came. He saw. He hit some jumpers or something.
Joel Anthony playing well in camp
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel (Ira Winderman) reports: A year after entering Miami Heat training camp as a longshot prospect, Joel Anthony has moved into the mix for significant minutes this season at center. Asked to name someone who has stood out over the first five days of training camp, first-year coach Erik Spoelstra today cited the 6-foot-9 undrafted shot-blocker out of UNLV. “I don’t know why I would be surprised about Joel, because he’s been such an incredible hard worker for the last year,” Spoelstra said. “But he’s had a terrific camp so far and his energy has been incredible, with his athleticism. “He’s probably in the best shape of anybody in the camp, and he’s really got an idea of what we’re trying to do. He’s really made strides offensively, even.”
InsideHoops.com editor says: In training camp and preseason, coaches have a habit of tossing praise at deep bench players who are “working extra hard.” Hard work is great and all, but 9 times out of 10 the player remains glued to the bench once the regular season rolls around.
Yao Ming says foot is healthy
The Houston Chronicle (Jonathan Feigen) reports: Yao Ming again declared the condition of his foot at 100 percent, showing the familiar sense of humor that had abandoned him when a third consecutive season was interrupted by a major injury. “I feel good,” he said. “I can’t say it’s like brand new, but it’s like my foot.” Yao has looked forward to a chance to start over since he blamed himself for the Rockets’ first-round exit last spring in Salt Lake City. As much as he cherished his experiences in the Beijing Olympics, he said Tuesday that in many ways it was valuable as preparation for the Rockets’ season to come, forcing him to prepare early and then pushing his conditioning to the point he reported 13 pounds lighter than last season and feeling far more fit than a month ago.
Boozer and Okur extension talk
The Deseret News (Tim Buckley) reports: The Jazz have discussed contract extensions with the camps of both starting power forward Carlos Boozer and starting center Mehmet Okur, general manager Kevin O’Connor said during the team’s opening session of training camp here Tuesday morning. But Boozer doesn’t plan to decide anything until next offseason, including whether to extend or pursue opportunities in the free-agency market, he said before the Jazz’s evening workout. “We’re going to enjoy this season and play basketball,” Boozer said. “I look forward to having an opportunity to win, and hopefully win a championship… Boozer, an All-Star the past two seasons, currently is in the fifth year of a six-year, $68 million deal.
InsideHoops.com editor says: Boozer is obviously more important to keep than Okur, but both guys are key to the team’s success. Okur is the third most important Jazz player, behind Boozer and Deron Williams, with Andrei Kirilenko 4th. Boozer and Deron are the two building-block stars and they’re both safe to commit to long-term.
Ginobili out 20-25 games
The San Antonio Express-News (Jeff McDonald) reports: Manu Ginobili, the Spurs’ leading scorer last season, will miss at least all of November while recuperating, coach Gregg Popovich said. “Manu will be out 20 to 25 games – until mid-December at the latest,” Popovich said on the eve of Spurs training camp. Doctors initially gave Ginobili a timetable of 8-12 weeks for recovery. The most optimistic end of that spectrum would put him back in uniform for the start of the regular-season. For now, it appears the Spurs will approach Ginobili’s return more cautiously. When training camp begins today, Ginobili, 31, will be a non-participant. He has been able to walk without crutches and without pain for some time but has not been cleared to participate in any activities other than swimming and weightlifting.
InsideHoops.com editor says: For the good of the Spurs and his NBA career, Manu needs to stop playing international basketball. Or else he should just start paying money back to the Spurs for all the times he’s not 100 percent because he keeps playing for Argentina in the summer.
Roger Mason has shot to show his stuff
The San Antonio Express-News (Jeff McDonald) reports: Even before Manu Ginobili went under the knife, Roger Mason Jr. expected to find himself under the preseason microscope. The former Washington Wizards swingman rates as the Spurs’ most notable free-agent acquisition of the offseason. With Ginobili out, Mason — who averaged a career-high 9.1 points last season — will get plenty of time in the preseason to show his stuff. How quickly he can grasp the Spurs’ system will go a long way toward determining how the Spurs fare without Ginobili.
Warrick the lone Grizzlies playoff vet
The Memphis Commercial Appeal (Ronald Tillery) reports: Something rather amusing popped into Hakim Warrick’s head while he looked around the gym as the Grizzlies’ conducted their media day. Warrick, who is entering his fourth NBA season, is the only remaining player from the Grizzlies’ playoff era… “It’s strange,” Warrick said. “None of the coaching staff is here. It’s just funny to see how much this has changed.” … After all, 10 of the 15 players on the training camp roster are indeed younger than Warrick. “It’s crazy,” Warrick said. “I’m like one of the grandpas of the team right now.”
Flip Saunders had lost Pistons veteran respect
The Detroit News reports: Rasheed Wallace said that he didn’t really have a disconnect with former coach Flip Saunders, though it was clear that Saunders had lost the respect of the older players. “It was just with us as vets and he really didn’t want to listen to us,” Wallace said. “That’s what really hurt him.” Speaking on radio station WDFN, Wallace used this analogy: “If you mess up a guy’s desk and throw coffee on it every day and he doesn’t do anything to stop you, are you going to respect him?” Wallace, though, didn’t blame Saunders for the team’s failures against the Celtics. “Basically, it was just not our time,” he said. “That’s just the way the ball bounces sometimes. I think we were all positive and thought that we would beat Boston. But we can’t cry over spilled milk now. We just have to go out and prove to all the naysayers that are saying we’re too old and our window is closed and all this and that — we have to prove them wrong.”