Eric Maynor has no interest in D-League assignment

eric maynor

Since falling out of the rotation and becoming a seldom-used third stringer, Eric Maynor has logged just 20 minutes in the past 10 games.

He now enters Friday’s road game against the rival yet reeling Los Angeles Lakers at a crossroad.

Maynor has appeared in only five of the past 10 contests, and the majority of those sparse minutes have come in mop-up duty.

But rather than agreeing to a D-League assignment simply for playing purposes as he continues to regain his rhythm from last year’s devastating knee injury that cost him the final 57 games and the entire playoffs, Maynor said he prefers to remain on the Thunder roster.

“No,” Maynor said emphatically, repeating it two additional times, when asked if he had any desire for a D-League assignment to the Tulsa 66ers. “I get good court work in every day so I’m going to be straight whenever the opportunity comes back around.”

— Reported by Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman

Legal case involving Chris Andersen not yet resolved

Chris Andersen

The legal case involving former Nuggets center Chris Andersen has yet to be resolved, a Douglas County Sheriff’s sergeant said, but Andersen’s attorney went public Thursday, reiterating a claim made last May that his client was duped and then extorted by a woman claiming to be of legal age. The Douglas County investigation involves possible Internet crimes involving a minor.

“What I’d like to communicate is, this had nothing to do with children,” attorney Mark Bryant told The Denver Post on Thursday. “This had to do with an individual who represented herself as legal age and then some, and by the way, is and was at legal age.”

Andersen, meanwhile, has been working out in Denver and in College Station, Texas, as he tries to make a comeback to the NBA. Bryant confirmed that Andersen, 34, could sign a contract with the defending league champion Miami Heat. Andersen worked out Tuesday for Heat president Pat Riley, The Miami Herald reported.

— Reported by Benjamin Hochman and Carlos Illescas of the Denver Post

Grizzlies re-assign Tony Wroten to D-League yet again

tony wroten

The Memphis Grizzlies re-assigned Tony Wroten to the NBA Development League’s Reno Bighorns, Grizzlies General Manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Wallace announced today.  This marks the third D-League assignment this season for the rookie guard.

Wroten (6-6, 208) holds D-League averages of 13.6 points, 2.8 rebounds and 3.8 assists on .411 shooting in 24.5 minutes in eight games (two starts) over two assignments with the Bighorns.  The 19-year-old posted 14.5 points, 2.0 rebounds and 5.0 assists on .545 shooting in 29.5 minutes in two games (both starts) for Reno during his second assignment from Dec. 26-31.

The Seattle native will be with the Bighorns for their next game tonight at Idaho.

Drafted by Memphis in the first round (25th overall) of the 2012 NBA Draft after one season at the University of Washington, Wroten has totaled two points, two rebounds and two assists in 14 minutes in six games during his rookie season.

After sweeping its three-game road trip against Phoenix, Sacramento and Golden State, Memphis returns home to host the San Antonio Spurs tomorrow at 7 p.m. at FedExForum.

Are Knicks interested in Kenyon Martin?

kenyon martin

Woodson denied that the Knicks are pursing free agent forward Kenyon Martin, saying “that’s new news to me. That’s (media) speculation.”

Yahoo! Sports reported that the Knicks are considering signing Martin to a 10-day contract. In order to add Martin, the Knicks would have to release a player because their roster is already at the maximum of 15.

The possibility of signing Martin is not that far-fetched considering he was teammates with Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith and Marcus Camby in Denver and enjoyed his greatest success playing alongside Jason Kidd with the Nets.

— Reported by Frank Isola of the New York Daily News

Maloofs want to sell Kings, but maintain piece of control

The family that owns the Sacramento Kings wants to maintain a say in how the team is run if they sell it to Chris Hansen, creating a possible snag in the sale negotiation, an NBA source told The Seattle Times.

The Maloof family has owned the team since 1998, and brothers Joe and Gavin have been particularly involved and visible presences in the franchise since day one.

An initial Yahoo! Sports report on the sale, since confirmed by others, is that the family would retain a small percentage in the team. But the question now, according to the source, is whether that percentage also would allow the Maloofs some say in how the team is run.

The source said it goes beyond dollars and cents and stressed how important being involved in the NBA has been to the family.

— Reported by Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times

Suns assign guard Diante Garrett to D-League

The Phoenix Suns today assigned rookie guard Diante Garrett to the Bakersfield Jam, Phoenix’s NBA Development League affiliate. The assignment is the record 100th of the 2012-13 NBA and NBA D-League seasons while Garrett becomes the record 49th NBA Player to have been assigned this season.

Garrett (6-4, 190, Iowa State) has appeared in six games for the Suns this season, scoring five points and dishing out seven assists in 30 minutes.

Signed by Phoenix as a free agent in Oct., 2012, Garrett was a member of the Suns’ Las Vegas Summer League team following a season playing overseas in 2011-12. A four-year contributor at Iowa State, he is one of only three players in Big 12 history to amass 1,300 points and 600 assists in his collegiate career.

Garrett is expected to join the Jam today and be available on Friday, Jan. 11, when the team hosts the Los Angeles D-Fenders at 10 p.m. ET.

The Suns are struggling this season, and with a 12-25 record are currently the 14th seed in the Western conference. They are in Brooklyn Friday to face the Nets.

Miami Heat bring back center Josh Harrellson on a 10-day contract

The Miami HEAT announced today that they have brought back center Josh Harrellson, signing him to a 10-day contract.

Harrellson, who was signed by Miami earlier this season on September 17, appeared in five games with the HEAT totaling 10 points, seven rebounds, one steal and a block in 28 minutes of action while shooting 4-of-8 from the field before being waived on January 7.

Harrellson was originally a second-round draft choice (45th overall) by the New Orleans Hornets in the 2011 NBA Draft. His draft rights were then acquired by New York as he appeared in 37 games (four starts) last season with the Knicks and averaged 4.4 points, 3.9 rebounds and 14.6 minutes while shooting 42.3 percent from the field.

The HEAT’s roster now stands at 15.

Anderson Varejao undergoes knee surgery, out 6-8 weeks

Anderson Varejao

Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao underwent successful surgery today at the Cleveland Clinic to repair a small split in his vastus medialis muscle that was part of the  knee contusion he experienced on December 18th during the Cavaliers game against the Toronto Raptors at Quicken Loans Arena. The surgery was performed by Cavaliers Head Team Physician Dr. Richard Parker and  Dr. Jim Rosneck. Varejao is resting comfortably and will be admitted overnight. Rehab guidelines will be established today and he is expected to miss the next six to eight weeks.

Cavs guard Daniel Gibson (concussion) and guard/forward C.J. Miles (low back strain) both practiced today and are listed as PROBABLE for tomorrow night’s game in Denver.

Greg Oden hopes to return to NBA next season

Greg Oden

Nearly a year removed from his latest knee surgery, former No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden has decided to resume his playing career but is not planning to return to the NBA before the 2013-14 season, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that multiple teams have already expressed interest in signing Oden to a multi-year deal before the end of this season that would allow him to continue his rehab until he can get back on the court in training camp next fall.

The Miami Heat are at the front of the line in pursuing Oden, two sources said, and have been keeping tabs as he recovers while also taking classes at Ohio State.

Sources say that the Heat, though, are not alone in their pursuit of the former No. 1 overall pick.

— Reported by Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein of ESPN.com

Seattle investor seeking to buy Kings

Investor Chris Hansen has contacted the Maloof family about buying the Sacramento Kings, setting up the possibility of the NBA’s return to Seattle.

Hansen’s interest was confirmed Wednesday by people with knowledge of the situation. They spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because no deal has been reached.

One person said the Kings could sell for more than $500 million. The Kings’ future in Sacramento has been uncertain because the Maloofs and the city haven’t been able to come up with a long-term arena solution.

Yahoo! Sports first reported the discussions between the Kings and Hansen. Yahoo! reported a possible sale could land the Kings in Seattle for the 2013-14 season where the team would play at KeyArena as a temporary home until a new arena is constructed.

”I know as much as you do,” Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn said when asked about the situation. ”If it’s true, ain’t it cool?”

His counterpart in Sacramento thought the news anything but cool. At an afternoon news conference, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said Wednesday was significant because for the first time Kings fans know the team is for sale. Johnson said he would do all he could to try to find a buyer with a Sacramento connection to possibly purchase the team and keep it in California’s capital city.

— Reported by Tim Booth of the Associated Press