Magic seek more Dwight Howard trade bids

Magic seek more Dwight Howard trade bids

The Orlando Magic have re-opened negotiations with teams other than the Brooklyn Nets for Dwight Howard, a league source told ESPN The Magazine’s Ric Bucher.

The Atlanta Hawks are one of the teams but “not the best option,” the source said.

The Nets have been trying to acquire the Magic’s star center but need other teams to help facilitate the blockbuster trade. Sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Nets and Magic were cautiously optimistic that the Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Clippers would help them facilitate a four-way trade to send Howard to Brooklyn.

In that proposed trade, according to sources, the Nets would receive Howard, Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark. The Magic would get Brook Lopez, Luke Walton, Damion James, Shelden Williams, Armon Johnson and three first-round picks — two from the Nets and a lottery-protected first from the Clippers. The Cavs would get Kris Humphries, Quentin Richardson, Sundiata Gaines, a first-round pick from the Nets and $3 million in cash. The Clippers would receive MarShon Brooks.

— Reported by ESPN.com news services

J.R. Smith, Steve Novak staying with Knicks

J.R. Smith, Steve Novak staying with Knicks

The 3-point bombers will be back on Broadway.

Eight hours after shooting ace Steve Novak agreed to return to the Knicks on a four-year, $15 million contract, high-scoring sub J.R. Smith stopped fielding offers and accepted the standing proposal of a two-year deal starting at $2.8 million in the first season with a player option for the second. The deal is the maximum the Knicks were able to offer Smith — who may become the starting shooting guard if the Knicks decide not to match the $19 million offer sheet the Raptors extended to Landry Fields — under the rules of the CBA.

Smith’s agency CAA released a statement late last night on Smith’s behalf: “I just felt that, despite my other options, New York is the best situation for me. Coach Woodson showed a lot of faith and trust in me last season, as did Mr. Dolan and the organization. My teammates are great to play with and the New York fans are the best!”

Novak’s package was made possible by the union’s victory over the NBA in the early-Bird exception rights arbitration case.

— Reported by Marc Berman of the New York Post

Sacramento Kings sign rookie Thomas Robinson

Sacramento Kings sign rookie Thomas Robinson

The Sacramento Kings today signed first-round draft pick Thomas Robinson to a contract, according to Kings’ President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie. Sacramento selected Robinson with the fifth overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft.

All players selected in the first round of the NBA Draft are guaranteed to receive a contract. So, this signing was expected, and is standard.

Robinson, the Big 12 Player of the Year and First Team All-American, led the nation in double-doubles (27) and was second in rebounding in 2011-12.

Deron Williams and Dwight Howard discussed teaming up in past

Deron Williams and Dwight Howard discussed teaming up in past

Deron Williams and Dwight Howard talked about being NBA teammates four years ago during the Olympics. Now Williams knows there’s speculation that it could happen soon.

He’s aware of reports that Orlando and Brooklyn are trying to arrange a trade – possibly involving two other teams – but he’s not paying too much attention to that.

“There’s been a lot of rumors over the last year as far as he’s concerned, so early on I concerned myself with it, but lately just let it play out and whatever happens, happens,” Williams said Monday at training camp for the latest Olympic team. “I think we’ll have a good team without him, I think we’d have an even better team with him.”

— Reported by Philadelphia Inquirer news services

Danny Green will stay with Spurs

Danny Green will stay with Spurs

When word began to leak Monday that Spurs guard Danny Green had agreed to terms of the first guaranteed, long-term contract of his NBA career, his cell phone blew up with calls that interrupted the very reason he was offered such security.

“I’m at the gym, trying to work out,” Green said when another phone call imposed. “Got to get stronger and sharpen my skills.”

Bill Duffy, the agent for the hard-working 25-year-old swingman, confirmed Monday that Green will sign a contract with the Spurs worth $12 million, fully guaranteed, over a three-year span.

His first opportunity to sign the deal will be Wednesday, when the NBA-imposed ban on free-agent signings is lifted.

— Reported by Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News

Monty Williams helped sell Ryan Anderson on trade to Hornets

Monty Williams helped sell Ryan Anderson on trade to Hornets

As New Orleans Hornets General Manager Dell Demps pushed to work out the specifics of a contract offer last week, Coach Monty Williams talked extensively with Orlando Magic restricted free-agent power forward Ryan Anderson to convince him to join New Orleans. Impressed with Williams’ plans, Anderson initially accepted the Hornets’ four-year, $36 million offer sheet before the Magic stepped in to facilitate a sign-and-trade agreement with New Orleans on Sunday.

As part of the deal, the Hornets agreed to trade forward Gustavo Ayon to Orlando. The trade will be finalized Wednesday, when the league’s trade moratorium on player transactions ends.

“What he likes about New Orleans, I say first and foremost is Monty,” Anderson’s agent, Chris Emens, said Monday. “He thinks Monty is a great basketball mind, really a great communicator, and I think they have a common bond. They talked extensively during this process.

“I think one of the things that certainly helps make Monty a standout among NBA coaches is that he’s very invested in his players, not just professionally but personally. I think players feel that.”

— Reported by John Reid of the New Orleans Times-Picayune

Nenad Krstic continues playing in Russia

Nenad Krstic continues playing in Russia

One of the best big men in the 2011-12 Turkish Airlines Euroleague is set to stay put, as CSKA Moscow announced a new agreement with center Nenad Krstic, who extended his contract until the end of the 2013-14 season. CSKA keeps an option to keep Krstic for one more year, through 2014-15. Krstic (2.12 meters, 28 years old) was chosen to the All-Euroleague first team last season, averaging 14.2 points and 5.5 rebounds in 22 games. He named the 2011-12 Euroleague bwin MVP for November and earned weekly bwin MVP honors twice – in regular season Game 9 and in Top 16 Game 3. Krstic was second in accumulated performance index ranking (405) and points (312) and third in rebounds (121) and fouls drawn (104), leading the 2011-12 Euroleague in two-pointers made (178) with a 62.9% shooting percentage, in which was his first Euroleague season in seven years.

— Reported by Euroleague.net

Ben Wallace might keep playing for Pistons

Big Ben will ride again for one more season.

A source close to the situation tells the Detroit News that “it’s a pretty good chance” Ben Wallace will return to the Pistons for another season.

Wallace, who will turn 38 in September, has been wanted back by the organization since the drafting of Andre Drummond.

“Me and Ben talk every other day,” Pistons President Joe Dumars said recently, while intimating he would give Wallace until the opening of training camp to make a decision.

— Reported by Vincent Goodwill of the Detroit News

Pacers expected to keep Roy Hibbert

Pacers expected to keep Roy Hibbert

The starting five will return intact. Now the Indiana Pacers turn their attention to upgrading the bench.

The suspense surrounding Roy Hibbert’s future ended Monday when the Pacers decided they wouldn’t let the center get away to Portland, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Trail Blazers made a four-year, $58-million offer to Hibbert soon after the free agency period began July 1.

The Pacers aren’t technically matching Portland’s offer. Instead, they’re giving Hibbert the same four-year, $58-million deal to avoid going through the process of having him sign the Trail Blazers’ offer sheet, submitting it to the NBA and then having to match it.

— Reported by Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star

Miami Heat meet with Rashard Lewis

Miami Heat meet with Rashard Lewis

The Heat, meanwhile, continued to await a decision from Rashard Lewis, who met with team officials Sunday in Miami. Lewis also plans to meet with Atlanta (which could offer him more money) and potentially the Knicks before deciding.

“It went well,” agent Tony Dutt said of Lewis’ meeting with the Heat. “We’re talking to a couple more teams and will make a decision later in the week.”

Lewis is making $13.7 million in a buyout next season, which makes the Heat cautiously optimistic that he would be willing to take a deal for the $1.3 million minimum.

The Heat remains alive in the competition for Marcus Camby, but only if Miami and Houston can work out a sign-and-trade. Discussions are ongoing. Camby has made no firm plans to visit but has spoken with Heat president Pat Riley. The Knicks, Nets and Clippers also remain in the mix.

— Reported by Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald