View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ot: small town to ban the n-word

Small Town Considers Banning N Word

POSTED: 4:29 pm CST January 23, 2007
UPDATED: 4:44 pm CST January 23, 2007
E-mail this story | Print this story
BRAZORIA, Texas -- The mayor of Brazoria is considering banning a racial slur, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Even though the mayor's proposed city ordinance is still in the exploratory phase, the issue has received a lot of attention.

Mayor Ken Corley wants to ban the "n" word from the small community. He said it is a quality of life issue.

"This is a melting pot -- this country is, OK? There is no room for any racial slurs, whatever," Corley said. "When you're in town and you're riding around and somebody pulls up next to you and they have their radio on and they have some gangsta rap, I don't want my children or my grandchildren -- I don't want anybody in this town -- to be subject to that language."

The idea is receiving mixed reviews from Corley's constituents.

"I think it's a pretty good idea, you know. I don't hear it that much," a resident said.

"How can they enforce it? I don't see why a law like this would be necessary," another resident said.

Bishop Ricky Jones, of Brazoria's Living Word Fellowship and Christian Center, said the word carries a history of bigotry and hate, even when used within the black community.

"I applaud him for what he's doing," Jones said. "It's time for we, as African-Americans, to go to the next level and demonstrate that we do have self respect for ourselves. And, I think if we show self-respect for ourselves, the rest of the world is going to do the same."

A public hearing will be held Thursday at the town's civic center. City leaders will then decide if a third hearing is necessary or if it should be sent to city council for a vote.

If passed, the mayor said offenders would receive a citation for a misdemeanor punishable by up to $500.

is this really a good idea? tramps all over free speech, and how will they enforce it? the mayor's heart is in the right place, but this won't ever work imo. besides, i bet ya more black people use the word then white people. p.s. the mayor is white.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote