View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: Top 10 GOAT non-QBs?

It's hard to compare offensive players to defensive players as is comparing anyone to a lineman, and even more difficult to compare players from different eras. Career vs. peak performance is also difficult to evaluate. Any list will have plenty of personal bias in it, and also different criteria and how much value gets placed on each. Personally, I think people put way, way too much value on super bowl rings. If we're talking teams, then fine, put some emphasis there, but individual players?

Jerry Rice would certainly go up there. Don Hutson was probably the most dominate player of any era, but how do I compare him to Rice? Those are the only 2 WRs I'd consider for a high spot, and I wouldn't consider any TEs. OL is difficult to judge. Munoz might have been the GOAT OL, but I wouldn't put him in the top 10. There's 4 or 5 RBs to consider for a fairly high spot: Dickerson, Smith, Sanders, Brown and Payton. Dickerson probably gets cut first since injuries shortened his career and he didn't have 9+ really good seasons like the other 4. As for Brown, I don't think he would have been as good in a later time period than when he played, but that's speculation on my part. Still though, I'd consider him and Payton over the others. My top 10 in no particular order:

Jerry Rice
Don Hutson
Walter Payton
Jim Brown
Reggie White
Alan Page
Bruce Smith
Lawrence Taylor
Ronnie Lott
Rod Woodson

Those '70s Steelers defenses were so stacked I'm not sure I could single out 1 single guy to throw in the top 10.
Dick "Night Train" Lane was another guy to consider, but the passing game and rules were so different back then. You could tackle a guy by his helmet in his day.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote