Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Da Mavs

Default Re: Allen Iverson Retires

Man this hurts and I was never even the biggest AI fan....slowly as my childhood stars retire (Shaq, Duncan, KG, McGrady, Carter, Nash, Dirk, Kobe, etc) it's going to hurt...

farewell AI

An all time great who didn't deserve all the hate he received in the final years of his career there will never be a player of A.I's height to be of the skill level he achieved.

Default Re: Iverson Retiring...

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    That article is spot on. I challenge anyone to point out an untruth. He's absolutely correct when he said that Iverson flatlined in his early 20s. Name me one skill that Iverson picked up after his first 3 years in the league. One.
    For real, you dont have anything better to do?

Now that might seem like I dont have a real rebuttal, but I am just puzzled. Why would you just come into a retirement thread and start being negative. Saying good riddance and stuff like that. Iverson had an impact on basketball that everyone other than Jordan/Magic/Bird/Yao could only dream of.

McCants is Available!!

I love Iverson but he's a quitter. Yes, we all know he can still get 20 a game yet he feels the need to prove it to us. All he had to was agree to come off the bench. Look at guys like Jason Terry, Ginobli and Brad Miller and how they are making great contributions to their teams. I hate he had to end his career this way. It's really a shame.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

My only regret is that this ended in retirement and not blackball. I wanted him to try and come back, but be rejected by every team.
    Isn't that what happened?

Good High School Starter

A sad day indeed.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Why do people act like it's in bad taste to insult somebody when he retires?

Quote Originally Posted by Knicks101
    Why do people act like it's in bad taste to insult somebody when he retires?
    Insult is one thing. Constantly chirpin is another. Did you read that article? I have never..... ever.... seen another article with so much contempt and disgust on Yahoo sports.

So this is how it ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
    It started with a bang. The brawl in Virginia. The breathless reports of this two-star athlete dominating the football fields and basketball courts in high school. This amazing scoring guard that nobody — not even John Thompson — could slow down.
    A first overall selection. First "point guard" taken that high since Magic Johnson. Shortest taken first overall since John Lucas(notes). Quickest, ever. Ever, ever.
    Pissed off Jordan. Crossed over Jordan. Took over for Jordan as the league's most popular player, when the NBA was in its darkest era since the drug daze of the late 1970s. Won the MVP. Took home-court advantage from a swaggering, dominant Lakers team in the 2001 Finals. Made it, nearly, to the top. On his terms.
    And, because things stayed on Allen Iverson's(notes) terms, it all fell apart from there.
    Marc Spears just confirmed the news that Allen Iverson is set to retire. This follows an ignominious attempt at shopping himself on the open free-agent market, with the season having already started. That followed an ignominious three-game turn with the Memphis Grizzlies, which followed an ignominious season with the Detroit Pistons, which followed a ... you see where I'm going here.
    Every step of the way, Iverson stayed true to himself. And, in a game and a culture that had grown up around him, that steadfast refusal to do anything but stay true to himself resulted in this early, unnecessary retirement.
    It's what made him what he was, you know. It's what made him the MVP in 2001, even if he wasn't anywhere near the best player in basketball that season. It's what brought his 76ers to the Finals in 2001, even though they were the class of the watered-down East and several other Western teams were superior. It's what won him the All-Star Game MVP in 2001, even though Dikembe Mutombo(notes) and Stephon Marbury(notes) likely had more to do with the East winning that game than Iverson.
    It was that personality that won him those awards, that personality that inspired Larry Brown to build a team around a shoot-first 5-foot-11 guard, and that personality that made him so, so popular. He should have been popular. The man had the heart of a giant.
    And in the end, it did him in. Iverson never adapted. His game never grew, it hardly changed, and everybody knew. He could still get his — A.I. was still averaging over 26 points and seven assists for the Nuggets two seasons ago — but at what cost?
    He needed the ball, quite a bit, to get those numbers. It took others out of their games. He *****ed and moaned every time he was asked to leave the game, even though he averaged over 41 minutes per game in his career. He never tried to help, he never tried to lead, he never tried to learn.
    He stayed true to who he was. It's what got him a nice house, huge contracts, out of poverty, into working at the game he loved. Good for him. But at some point, you have to stop working at things as if you're a week removed from the breadline.
    I can't possibly criticize that line of thinking, because I'll never (hopefully) know the pressure of that situation, least of all knowing it as a child. But others in this league have come from poverty. Others have been betrayed by people in positions of authority as children or teenagers. Others have had it rough. They stayed strong, made it out, and most of them adapted to a change in context.
    A.I. never adapted. And while "me against the world" is admirable when it truly is you against the world, at some point you have to realize that you have four other guys with you, on your side, against the world. And they're not interested in fighting your fight. They're interested in winning the game.
    And that hurts. Iverson accomplished quite a bit, but I'll never shake the feeling that so much was left unaccomplished. That he could have learned so much and contributed so much to this game had he not decided to essentially flatline in his early 20s.
    I take no great pleasure in pointing this out, but the man quit on the 76ers (who traded him a few weeks later), his presence stifled the Nuggets, he quit on the Pistons, he quit on the Grizzlies (complaining about playing time after sitting out of practice for weeks and playing one whole game), and he just quit on this league. Way too early. With so much left to do.
    And all I feel is sad. Not because I'm not used to the idea of the NBA without Allen Iverson — I haven't really enjoyed watching him play for most of his career, every sweet crossover came packaged with five ill-conceived jumpers — but because the man who got so much out of all that talent also got so little. And every half-empty assumption we made about him ended up coming true. Yes, you made it to the top while standing 5-11 and with critics at every turn, but so what? That was 1996. What comes next?
    For Allen Iverson, nothing came next. Just huge strides toward irrelevance and, frankly, embarrassment.
    It might not be over. For all we know, this could just be a temporary hissy fit, pitched to the point of filing retirement papers just because no team with a starting gig wants to know. He could be back next season. He could be back in February. We don't know.
    What we do know is that this is a shame. For a man with his talent, his vision, his will, and his heart; to go out like this? To never, really, "get it?" It's a shame.
    And, saddest of all, it's typical A.I.

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    i didnt read the article but by retiring i now see how selfish he really is. all he had to do was be a 6th man and he couldnt even do that
    retirement=selfishness? when has that ever been brought up i thought everyone wanted him to retire before he tarnished his image anymore. magic was selflish cause he left for personal reasons? larry bird was selfish cause he could barely run without his back killing him. i think some people really need to take a second to think about what they would do in allen's position. one of the greatest players ever from georgetown to now, im not surprised that he doesn't want to come off the bench. calling it quits and enjoying life for the first time in 15 years is not selfish...it's a personal decision that all players must make at some point.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Good choice for him to retire... I think he finally realized that he ego does not match his ability to play as a star starter any longer and that he would not be a starter on any contending NBA team... too bad he cannot have a bit of humility to come off the bench and be a role player for a team to try and earn a ring with a team.

Speaks volumes....

Knicks 2010 Champs

Knicks really screwed up by not signing him. How the hell would he hinder the young guys' development any more than the great blackhole Al Harrington? I mean Iverson's definitely a cancer. But he would've been fun to watch in D'Antoni's system. Bad decision by the FO. The risk was so small compared to the potential benefits. I think LOSING is hurting our young guys' development right now. They've been thrust into a situation where they just aren't ready. We don't have one player worthy of being a 3rd option on a playoff team. And that's being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by BallersTalk
    Knicks really screwed up by not signing him. How the hell would he hinder the young guys' development any more than the great blackhole Al Harrington? I mean Iverson's definitely a cancer. But he would've been fun to watch in D'Antoni's system. Bad decision by the FO. The risk was so small compared to the potential benefits. I think LOSING is hurting our young guys' development right now. They've been thrust into a situation where they just aren't ready. We don't have one player worthy of being a 3rd option on a playoff team. And that's being generous.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    For real, you dont have anything better to do?

Now that might seem like I dont have a real rebuttal, but I am just puzzled. Why would you just come into a retirement thread and start being negative. Saying good riddance and stuff like that. Iverson had an impact on basketball that everyone other than Jordan/Magic/Bird/Yao could only dream of.
    Why are you defending a horrible teammate? He quit on his last two teams. Quit on them. That's not just a slap in the face to the teams, it's a slap in the face to his teammates.

Have you ever worked with someone who flat-out refused to help in any way, and would only do what is most narrowly in his/her job description? Because I have.

i don't understand the hate for iverson. dude's one of the most skilled basketball player to ever step on the court. he's that guy you watched on playground and hoped one day you'd grow up to be as good as him.. the fact he hasn't won a ring in his career don't mean jack sh!t. dude's a former mvp, how many 6 footers can you say that about? you can't deny his love and passion for the game. except for mj, i've never seen anyone come into every single game with intsensity. even in the few games he played as a grizzly, he came with intensity. the same people hating on him are the same people who used to wear his jersey to school years ago.

Why are you defending a horrible teammate? He quit on his last two teams. Quit on them. That's not just a slap in the face to the teams, it's a slap in the face to his teammates.

Have you ever worked with someone who flat-out refused to help in any way, and would only do what is most narrowly in his/her job description? Because I have.
    I am not going to name the long illustrious list of players who have Quit on their teams. Its too hard. He messed up. I dont see how two years unravels everything else he has done. You dont see me hanging Kobe's trade demands and that suspect game 7 against the Suns over his head. You dont see countless articles and posters slamming him for that? I think ISH is just a little immature. If you are a basketball fan, you appreciated Iverson. There is no way one could discredit how much he has done for the game. He left his mark.
    Last edited by phoenix18; 11-25-2009 at 08:20 PM.