Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 155

Thread: Finance Advice Thread

  1. #121
    Repeal FATCA Hawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,094

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Except that we can't really call bottoms. We aren't all privy to Senate Intelligence hearings.

    You don't even have to call bottoms. Just go by dollar cost average and do a monthly deposit into low cost ETFs and index funds.

    This is attainable by middle class people in America.

  2. #122
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    10,211

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Which ETFs? Spydr? I might buy a few, trying to figure out whether to keep cash in bank or invest small sum..

  3. #123
    Repeal FATCA Hawker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,094

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Which ETFs? Spydr? I might buy a few, trying to figure out whether to keep cash in bank or invest small sum..
    Vanguard S&P 500 Index Fund

  4. #124
    NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,044

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    I have been buying United Airlines stock over the past week at various price points. As low as $18 and as high as $25. I am going to keep loading up on it if it goes below $20, which it likely will. This is a company that was trading at $96 before this crap happened and it is now hovering in the mid 20s. Buy and hold for two years and you will thank me later! Another piece of advice I would give is to buy a bullish leveraged ETF once this is all comfortably over. This will rocket ship your gains once the market gets back on track, which it will! Your welcome.

  5. #125
    Good college starter rawimpact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    You could've said the same about Bear and Lehman's. Granted Boeing is more important to its industry than they were but they were still giants. You might argue that they collapsed not because of external turmoil but because of internal failures but Boeing has had not the same level of internal issues but still had issues for the last year or so. Another point: Airbus still exists.

    You're probably right (and I do think Boeing is a great buy soon but probably not yet) but this uncertainty is reflected in the stock price.

    its at 158 now... 25% return so far

  6. #126
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    10,211

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    its at 158 now... 25% return so far
    I got 1 stock of Boeing at $95

    Kicking myself for not getting more but didn't have the cash since stupid me threw it onto Walmart first

  7. #127
    Good college starter rawimpact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    I got 1 stock of Boeing at $95

    Kicking myself for not getting more but didn't have the cash since stupid me threw it onto Walmart first
    Hindsight man... works both ways.

    I bought 5 shares of BA at 120 and of course it dropped to 90ish making people fear, but i double downed with another 5 effectively making my average cost of 105. When you hit bottom or near bottom, there's only one place to go. This is going to be a fun year, quite happy with my portfolio.

    I mentioned Sach before (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...1#post13947486) -- but I again doubled down when it dropped to 1.40 and purchased another 200. Now it's at 2.30. This is a REIT too, so i'll be enjoying a significant dividend quarterly -- assuming dividend wont change (even though it will), at 12c/share quarterly, that's $12/month or 144/year which can buy another 35 shares annually (assuming it goes back up to ~4/share).

  8. #128
    The Chosen King Raymone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,064

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Worst unemployment numbers in history and market keeps rising.

    I don't really get it, but damn it I'm gonna profit from it.

  9. #129
    Good college starter rawimpact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Hindsight man... works both ways.

    I bought 5 shares of BA at 120 and of course it dropped to 90ish making people fear, but i double downed with another 5 effectively making my average cost of 105. When you hit bottom or near bottom, there's only one place to go. This is going to be a fun year, quite happy with my portfolio.

    I mentioned Sach before (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...1#post13947486) -- but I again doubled down when it dropped to 1.40 and purchased another 200. Now it's at 2.30. This is a REIT too, so i'll be enjoying a significant dividend quarterly -- assuming dividend wont change (even though it will), at 12c/share quarterly, that's $12/month or 144/year which can buy another 35 shares annually (assuming it goes back up to ~4/share).
    Sach is up to 2.73 - nearly doubled from when I advised people to but
    BA is up to 144 up from 120 (my initial purchase) and 95 (second purchase)
    Suncor up to 17.64 from 16 or so i purchased

    These are all obviously long term stocks, but they are dividend paying stocks at higher than inflation rates.
    They're still good buys if anyone else wants to get onboard.

  10. #130
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
    Posts
    24,104

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    my financial advice:

    Take any extra money that you don't need for the next year and spread it out on major airline stocks (United, Delta, etc), major banks (JPMorgan, Wells Fargo, etc), and major credit cards (Visa, American Express, etc)

    leave it there for a year or even two...you'll probably 2x your money, possibly 3x

  11. #131
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    10,211

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Sach is up to 2.73 - nearly doubled from when I advised people to but
    BA is up to 144 up from 120 (my initial purchase) and 95 (second purchase)
    Suncor up to 17.64 from 16 or so i purchased

    These are all obviously long term stocks, but they are dividend paying stocks at higher than inflation rates.
    They're still good buys if anyone else wants to get onboard.
    I don't like risking buying essentially penny stocks. That's why I didn't buy Sach.

  12. #132
    The Renaissance man bladefd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    10,211

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~ View Post
    my financial advice:

    Take any extra money that you don't need for the next year and spread it out on major airline stocks (United, Delta, etc), major banks (JPMorgan, Wells Fargo, etc), and major credit cards (Visa, American Express, etc)

    leave it there for a year or even two...you'll probably 2x your money, possibly 3x
    One of those airlines have a good chance of going down.. They won't all be able to buy enough time to not go under. Just my feeling

  13. #133
    Good college starter rawimpact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    I don't like risking buying essentially penny stocks. That's why I didn't buy Sach.

    Sach has never been a penny stock, it has never been under $3.00 until this outbreak. You can still get in on it... i expect it to settle back to 4 dollars. It has a significant portfolio... the only drop was in dec. i believe when a chairboard member stepped down, Vilano i believe was his name.

    Also as a bonus they've yet to payout their dividend, so you'll get a nice cut before the record date for second quarter.

  14. #134
    Good college starter rawimpact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,335

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    What I don't understand are these people who say this whole thing was planned for investors and wall street to buy up stock and get richer. Well why did you wait and not do the same? Maybe you dont have the liquid assets for a lot, but drop 1 or 2k of your IRA. This is going to be profit anyways. Sitting around being mad at the 1% while being too scared to invest/research gets no one anywhere.

  15. #135
    ~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
    Posts
    24,104

    Default Re: Finance Advice Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    One of those airlines have a good chance of going down.. They won't all be able to buy enough time to not go under. Just my feeling
    That's why you got to spread it around...just in case. My gut feeling is that the Gov will not allow the major airlines to go under. But if you spread around to all major airlines, banks, credit cards...even if one did go under, I still think you'd be way in the positive down the road

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •