Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #316
BlakFrankWhite
ISH Thunder GM

Default Re: MAD MEN series discussion

watching this series from the beginning

season 1 and 2 are awesome
BlakFrankWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #317
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Spoilers I suppose, as I'm talking about last night's episode, and some people in here are just starting:

There have been plenty of things I've liked about these two episodes so far. I love the sets. The seventies thing is a very distinct boost. I like the time jump that allowed them to throw Don back into being Don so quickly. And it's been it's typically hysterical self. And it's somehow still incredibly hot without showing any nudity. First episode I actually liked a ton.

But man I'm I disappointed in this waitress storyline so far. The first episode I was ok with it. She sort of served as this stand in for Don's past, hard working blue collar woman. Sort of a call back to the cathouse of his youth.
But last night throwing in this backstory with her kids and her infinite sorrow. I'm sure there's something to be said about Don's sort of running from his responsibilities, regardless of his being more successful at it. But there's four episodes left, and introducing a character this late, with this much baggage, and then have her sort of occupy the majority of the time of what I thought would be the point of this last half dozen episodes, that being Don's conclusion with all these already great characters that have orbited him, and already have such rich relationships with him. It just seems weird.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #318
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Spoilers I suppose, as I'm talking about last night's episode, and some people in here are just starting:

Peggy blowing Don was over the top.

Yeah I agree. It worked okay in the the first episode but last night was just a slow moving drag.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #319
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

I recently watched the show all seasons and I find it one of the best Tv SHow of All Time.

However in season 7 when Don comes back to work and they all treat him like some stray dog ( except for Roger and Cambell) almost made me want to stop watching it until the end.

It absolutely disgusted me how Joan was all acting like " he cannot be here", setting rules for Don, acting like she is in charge and all while they all know she got her partnership by being the resident hooker. Her saying " I am tired of Don costing us money" made me wanna vomit. She already had more money from being a partner than she could have ever achieved anywhere else. And the only way she achieved it was by sucking some fat dude's cawk from Jaguar because she was not worthy of a partnership otherwise .

Secondly, all of them looking to fire Don behind his back while the one true alpha is the reason why that damn Sterling Cooper was still alive and not some basement division at another company.

Anyway, those episodes made me want to stop watching. It actually took my girlfriend convincing me to watch the last episodes of season 7.

The rest ,however, season 1 to season 6, is absolute class and some of the best drama I have ever seen on TV after Sopranos.
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #320
ScalsFan21
Atkinson Fam Head

I kind of agree Andrei. I mean for the most part I didn't like Don, but I thought the way they turned him into the "ultimate pariah" and completely disowning him was a little overdone. Joan especially.

Great show for sure. The Sopranos and Mad Men were the only shows that pulled off being really long shows (in terms of the series' lifespan) while never really missing a beat or suffering from a major, horrendous dropoff. Other 6-8 season shows like Dexter, I guess Lost etc. all managed to tail off in ways that were truly incomprehensible.

More shows need to learn to go out strong in four or five seasons like Breaking Bad and others did.
ScalsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: