Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 AM   #46
Lakers Legend#32
College superstar

Default Re: NPR: Pelosi announces formal impeachment inquiry into Trump

Thanks to Nancy Pelosi, Trump is finally getting f#cked by a woman his own age.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:05 AM   #47
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE
How did Trump use his position to pressure them? Trump is a wealthy guy who’s had international connections all his life. If he wants to ask international friends to dig dirt on Biden then he’s free to use his own resources to do it as far as I care.

Did he actually offer any political favors in exchange? I legit have not followed this closely. If he did I would 100% disapprove. I havent heard anything about the political side of the specifics.

He is the President of the United States. He can single-handedly withhold financial aid to the Ukraine, for instance. He actually did single-handedly withhold $250 million in aid to the Ukraine out of "concern for corruption" in the country... all while he and his personal lawyer pressuring them to open a "corruption" probe into Joe Biden and his son.... a probe that was already conducted and during which they found no wrongdoing perpetrated by either Biden. Trump is saying that the hold on the aid and his pressure to have them open a probe of Biden are unrelated, however, the President of Ukraine is on record saying that he was concerned that aid was being held up because he demurred in forcing his prosecutors to open up a Biden investigation at Trump's and his personal lawyer's repeated request

This impeachment inquiry intends to get the relevant facts of the case. Currently, Trump is blocking Congress from the whistle-blower complaint, and administration officials, after initially dismissing the complaint and the concern of the intelligence Inspector General, are slow-rolling access to the whistle blower him/herself. An impeachment inquiry tends to be the last tool of resort Congress has in it's arsenal to get the Executive Branch to comply with subpoenas and requests for information about matters being investigated.

This is the problem with not bothering to know or care about the details of these sorts of controversies; there's all kinds of context those who are above it all are sure to miss out on.

Quote:
This to me is like Clinton’s perjury and Obama’s birth certificate. Technicalities which, in an ideal world, would be investigated thoroughly and adjudicated reasonably; but not priority issues for national prosecution in practical America.

But, we can agree to disagree.

You think the birther conspiracy should have been investigated thoroughly in an ideal world? Let's back up a bit. You think the birther conspiracy is equivalent to the President of the United States putting pressure on a foreign country to open an investigation into a political rival to benefit himself politically, and possibly using foreign aid appropriated by Congress to amplify that pressure? Not to mention the whistle-blower complaint and the concern of the Inspector General who looked into the matter? I'm going to take a wild guess here... you are unaware of what Trump said about the birther conspiracy he pushed for months after he became President, correct?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:21 AM   #48
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Do the dems realize this is going to destroy Bidens presidential campaign? Either way, this is gonna be fun!

Unlikely, given that the facts have come out regarding the Biden situation and it looks like there was no wrong doing on his part. I responded to you about it in the other thread. I'll re-post it here.

Quote:
The whole Obama administration, not just Joe Biden who was acting as a liaison to Eastern European governments in contention was Russia, was in agreement that the Ukrainian prosecutor in question needed to be fired because he had been sitting on and opted not to investigate and prosecute a host of corruption cases, just as Ukrainian prosecutors before him had done. In fact, Ukrainians and international organizations were also calling for Viktor Shokin's ouster and saw him as an obstacle to reform.

Quote:
His appointment under President Petro Poroshenko disappointed reformers hopeful that the country would abandon a corrupt past in which prosecutors didn’t so much prosecute as gather evidence with which to extort their fellow citizens. “Shokin’s appointment was probably the earliest sign that Poroshenko was not interested in fundamental reform. He was interested in maintaining the old system,” said Edward Chow, a senior associate in the Energy and National Security Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) “If anything, Biden was not tough enough on Poroshenko on firing Shokin.”

And if it hurts Biden, fine. Props up Warren and likely guarantees her the nomination.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:30 AM   #49
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
can't wait to see how this backfires for the dems. these idiots factually cockblocked bernie when he had a shot and now they are going to prop up elizabeth warren the integrity-free diet soda version of bernie.

Hillary Clinton received 3.6 million more votes from American voters than Bernie Sanders during the Democratic primary in 2016. She also won 11 more contests than him across the country during the primary. By what means was Sanders prevented from winning, exactly?

Quote:
there's very little likelihood of this going well for them IMO - the ploy is probably just to try and damage trump's 2020 campaign which will be irrelevant because his voters won't give a fuck.

Serious question. Do you believe it is appropriate for the President of the United States to pressure foreign countries to open up investigations into his political rivals once his political rivals announce that they are running against him? Would you advocate that all Presidents, including future Democrats, be allowed do use the office of President to carry out such actions as well, unharassed?
Old 09-25-2019, 04:35 AM   #50
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
rudy: "i was sent on an official secret mission sanctioned by the state department to investigate crooked hillary and sleepy joe and to stop george soros."

Quote:
When reached for comment, a State Department spokesperson said, "Mr. Giuliani is a private citizen and acts in a personal capacity as a lawyer for President Trump. He does not speak on behalf of the U.S. Government."

It took longer than I expected, but yeah... I... I don't know what he was thinking, knowing full well they would refute it in short order.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 AM   #51
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
rudy to maga (the state department): if i go down, i'm taking all of you with me

I hope he has backed up the contents of that phone. It belongs to Congress now.

It's infuriating how bad he is at this. You want your villains to be Mission Impossible tier baddies... not Austin Powers tier dopes. Goodness gracious...
Old 09-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #52
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm
Trump remains defiant and just claimed he's leading in the polls

haha. Y'know the 4d chess thing is a meme to most people (cept people on like theDonald, but they may be trolling, too), but a lot of the time I do get the feeling Trump is getting people to do exactly what he wants them to and trolling them after they do.

We live in a crazy world. I'd say probably 80% chance nothing comes of this or the whistleblower. Of course, it could have value in the election, but I'm talking about actual results. They probably will not full on impeach. Maybe the inquiry allows them more judicial power to subpoena more shit? I dunno.

Like I said, I more or less like Trump. This stuff will drive you crazy if you don't take two full steps back. If you do, it's kind of fascinating. All you can do is say... we'll see what happens, and realize no matter what happens nothing is really gonna change. It's not some big war for the integrity of our country, it's just political theater.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #53
dude77
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facepalm
Trump remains defiant and just claimed he's leading in the polls

twilight zone indeed .. when I saw this quoted, for a second I thought it was from 2016
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #54
oh the horror
NBA Legend

Soooo they released the “transcript”...

However, this is not a transcript. It's a reconstruction based on officials' recollections of what was said. There is no recording. It makes absolutely no sense to do it this way, but that’s how this administration operates.
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #55
SomeBlackDude
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh the horror
Soooo they released the “transcript”...

However, this is not a transcript. It's a reconstruction based on officials' recollections of what was said. There is no recording. It makes absolutely no sense to do it this way, but that’s how this administration operates.

they did themselves no favors here. but it's irrelevant really.

all they accomplished was a) prove maga was pressuring a foreign gov to investigate their political rival, holding funds hostage in return for 'favors' [implicated the attorney general in the process] b) set the precedent for the release of more transcripts with other leaders.

the whistleblower made it clear it was a pattern of actions, not one phone call.
SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #56
RRR3
L3gacy

Quote:
they did themselves no favors here. but it's irrelevant really.

all they accomplished was a) prove maga was pressuring a foreign gov to investigate their political rival, holding funds hostage in return for 'favors' [implicated the attorney general in the process] b) set the precedent for the release of more transcripts with other leaders.

the whistleblower made it clear it was a pattern of actions, not one phone call.
Like someone on reddit said, this is the BEST they could make it look.

Poor chewing, his hero is gonna end up rotting in prison. Maybe he can visit him
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #57
SomeBlackDude
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Like someone on reddit said, this is the BEST they could make it look.

the emperor directly and unambiguously asks a foreign gov to investigate his political rival.

the emperor incriminates both his personal lawyer/fixer (like his 3rd this year ) and the attorney general of the united states.

the emperor makes it clear the 'favor' he wants from a foreign gov is tied to the support the U.S. gives to ukraine.

and that's just one phone call.

off to a great start.

SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #58
RRR3
L3gacy

Quote:
the emperor directly and unambiguously asks a foreign gov to investigate his political rival.

the emperor incriminates both his personal lawyer/fixer (like his 3rd this year ) and the attorney general of the united states.

the emperor makes it clear the 'favor' he wants from a foreign gov is tied to the support the U.S. gives to ukraine.

and that's just one phone call.

off to a great start.

Are they tired of winning yet?
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #59
DukeDelonte13
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
Do the dems realize this is going to destroy Bidens presidential campaign? Either way, this is gonna be fun!

I haven't met one Dem that said he/she is gonna vote for Biden. I've said it before on here a million times. His time to run was this last election. The base is moving further left than ever and Biden is too politically conservative.

Last edited by DukeDelonte13 : 09-25-2019 at 12:29 PM.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #60
DukeDelonte13
NBA All-star

All this sh*t about trump and asking foreign countries for political meddling help...

Hillary had emails on her computer that we retroactively reclassified as "classified" or whatever and the whole right wants her imprisoned for life; meanwhile trump if literally having secretive dealings with a mafia-run state, but that's somehow totally acceptable.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: