Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #31
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: Can Pau play at the 4 beside Bynum?

I think the following concerns are more important: 1)Bynum's health; 2) Bynum's return to form; and 3) Lamar's ability to play the 3 spot effectively. Pau's adjustment to the 4 is a distant fourth, though even that is more about Pau learning a new role than it is playing alongside Bynum.

I forgot who said it, but I agreed then (as I do now) that the rest of this year will likely determine Lamar's future with the Lakers. Unless he can show that he can play the 3 effectively on both ends of the court, he's gone after next season (at the latest).

I say this because Kobe, Bynum and Pau not going anywhere anytime soon (the reasons why are obvious, so I won't elaborate). They're also our 3 best players, so they'll be getting a lot of time on the court together; this in turn translates to limited available playing time at the 2, 4 and 5 spots. Lamar's not a point guard, so the 1 is out as well. Basically all that's left is the 3, so this is where Lamar will have the majority of his minutes.

Dsiclaimer: Yes, I'm an Ariza/UCLA fan. Part of me really wants Trevor to blossom into Bruce Bowen 2.0 (plus an offensive game, minus the spot-up 3's). Not that that's realistic, but if he does become a rangey, lockdown defender at the 3, he's a better fit for this team than LO is.

Disclaimer 2: It's hard to objectively analyze Lamar's game. He's got so much heart, and is by all accounts a great guy, so I sometimes find myself overrating aspects of his game. But then he'll do things that'll really annoy me, and skew my analysis too far the other way.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: