The Dallas Mavericks announced today that guard/forward Josh Howard will continue to treat and rehab his left ankle. He will receive a cortisone injection this week and will attempt to practice with the team later next week. Arthroscopic surgery will be planned to address chronic issues regarding his ankle at a later date.
Howard (6-7, 210) has missed the last five games due to a sore left ankle. In 45 games this season, Howard has averaged 18.0 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 32.3 minutes per game.
The New York Post (Mark Hale and Marc Berman) reports (via blog): Knicks rookie Danilo Gallinari’s season could be over. Gallinari left the team today for Italy and is again exploring whether to undergo back surgery, the Knicks announced this morning before practice. Gallinari returned to the club in late January after resting for more than eight weeks as the club opted again surgery for the bulging disc in his back. Gallinari, who had a disappointing road trip, punctuated by going scoreless in Cleveland, saw a back surgeon in New York yesterday and is off to Italy to seek more opinions.
The New York Knickerbockers President of Basketball Operations Donnie Walsh announced today that free agent guard Demetris Nichols has been signed to a second consecutive 10-day contract.
The New York Daily News (Frank Isola) reports: Isiah Thomas is slowly making the transition back into public life, first resurfacing with his successor and current boss, Donnie Walsh, at last week’s Pac-10 Tournament in Los Angeles and then appearing on an NCAA Tournament show in Las Vegas with his college coach Bobby Knight on Sunday. When reached by the Daily News Monday, Thomas politely declined an interview request. He would only say that he’s “feeling good” and that the last few weeks have been emotionally draining, referring to his former Pistons coach and long-time friend, Chuck Daly, being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and the death of Detroit Pistons owner William Davidson last week.
The Arizona Republic (Paul Coro) reports: “I’m going to be putting up big numbers until I’m 40,” Shaquille O’Neal, 37, said. “I can play at any pace. It’s just that no one my age has done what I’ve done. Because of what went on last year (in Miami), they thought I was done. But I’m the type of player I don’t really harp on my injuries. I say it once, ‘I was injured,’ and that’s it. But people want to be the unauthorized author of my book. Last year, I was messed up. Then Nellie (Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson) and them fixed me up. Now, I’m loose again and ready.” O’Neal continues to say he can deliver big games nightly if he gets enough shots. With the Suns’ increased pace, there are shots for everyone.
The Oklahoman reports: Playing with a broken left thumb the past two months, the Thunder’s Nick Collison suffered a chipped fracture in his middle finger on his right (shooting) hand Monday vs. San Antonio. He sustained the injury while blocking a shot and slapped the backboard. The injury occurred during the fourth quarter. Team officials said Collison will play Wednesday night against the Chicago Bulls unless the pain is too severe.
The Houston Chronicle reports: Houston Rockets forward Carl Landry suffered a gunshot wound to his lower leg early this morning in a possible drive-by shooting or failed robbery near downtown, police said. Landry, 25, was released after treatment at Memorial Hermann Hospital. A team spokesman said he suffered a flesh wound and is expected to be out of the lineup for one to two weeks. The incident happened in the 3100 block of Leeland, a short distance southeast of downtown, about 4:20 a.m., Houston police said in a preliminary report.