Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio Spurs Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Name the Spurs team needs (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181)

insidehoops 06-11-2006 07:22 PM

Name the Spurs team needs

Name your team's TEAM NEEDS, in order of importance.

What positions need to be filled the most?
What specific skills should the players at that position have to best compliment the players already there?

Post the top few most important needs the team has to fill this summer, via the draft/free agency/trades/etc.

Spacific 06-12-2006 12:20 AM

spurs need...

being a spurs fan ever since i met David Robinson in annapolis where im from , ive been watching the spurs since i could remember. the spurs had a great run...and are probably going to be an elite team for a good 2 or 3 more years. but why not acquire some youth while were waiting for timmy to age and parker to take that next step into superstar status. i think were either the oldest or 2nd oldest team (either us or the rockets i donno). we have a deep bench and all but why not get some youth or young prospects for like brent berry or oberto. or even horry (dont get me wrong i love horry but hes too old now). trade one of them for a player like: dorrell wright, gerald green, trevor ariza, travis outlaw....just an athletic body at the 2 or 3, or even some 4 in a small lineup with td at the 5. bowens gettin up there so why not get some players like those and pop well teach them how to play D. and we have one the best shooting coaches in the league. we lack athletisism and youth. we got to think about the future now...we got the rings and want more but lets remember were not getting any younger while we go through all these long series deep in the season. lets get somebody...hey i think freddie jones is a free agent.

Lightemup43 06-12-2006 02:30 PM

I dont think the Spurs are that bad off... Parker is on star level now and is very young... Manu is also farely young and Duncan still has years left if he can stay healthy... With the Spurs system under Pop, I think its easy to find role players to fit.

Spacific 06-12-2006 05:21 PM

i def agree but...the way manu plays...plus the fact hes almost 3...we need some more athletic players. we shouldve never got rid of stephen jackson!

Voratian 06-14-2006 02:11 PM

Bring over that athletic Greek PF that we saw during the Olympics. (Jaktokias? I dunno, i'm bad with the dude's name)

robingirl80 06-15-2006 08:47 AM

An athletic big man who can play defense.

Robin

timmyD 06-18-2006 11:15 PM

DJ mbenga

if the spurs staff was smart, theyd sign the unrestricted free agent DJ mbenga, a center that is in the same situation rasho was in before he came to san antonio, but clearly more atheltic and overall just better. if u go to nba.com and filter it to his per 48 minute stats, its pretty rediculous how good of a robounder and blocker he is, not only can he allow duncan to operate, he can flush it, unlike rasho, when the double comes and he is left open under the basket. i like DJ a lot, the only thing is he good friends with fellow congo native desagana diop. if the spurs gave him a semi decent bloated contract, in the range of 7 mil, we could hopefully bait him. he is on a minimum contract now so him seeing anything over 5 million will probably have him jumping for joy. thats seriously like the most important guy we need, besides jr smith

insidehoops 06-18-2006 11:37 PM

mbenga has to be better than rasho.

As for nazr, not sure why he regressed. He was better two years ago

MadeFromDust 06-21-2006 01:26 AM

First and foremost...a new coach!! Can we coax Riley to give the reigns back to Van Gumby and come to SA? Or can we rip Bob Hill back from Seattle? Bob Hill would have given SA 2 back-to-back championships by now.

Tank 06-21-2006 01:29 AM

Get J.R. Smith.

Or Rudy Gay :)

Spurs00 06-21-2006 09:48 PM

We need a nice athletic small from foward like Hakeem Warick...6'9' that can take people off the dribble and shoot form the outside...noy saying that Hakeem can but he's athletic and can take people off the dribble and is a very nice defender....

Then we could use a big guard that could defend,coming off the bench.

Sign Nazi...or a sign and trade for another center or power forward.

SpursFan..82-83

Spurs00 06-21-2006 09:51 PM

He might be soft....

Spurs 82-83...

JRICH23 06-22-2006 01:12 AM

Yes i agree that the spurs should get J.R. Smith and probably DJ Mbenga, but get rid of Poppovich? you got to be kidding me. And it is Van Gundy not Van Gumby. Coaches arent like players you cant just lure one away from a team especially after they have just won the championship (Pat Riley). Also why would we want to get Bob Hill? What did he ever do besides have underachieving playoff runs, Poppovich is the best coach in spurs history we should keep him as long as possible.