Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   fellow knick fans (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25712)

knickscity 01-12-2007 11:56 AM

fellow knick fans

What's up!!!! been running through the main NBA forum and the topics have generated lots of posters. There was on that has gotten me a little fired up.

Ranking Curry as a center. I do believe he should be in top 5. Most guys occupying that position such as a dwight howard, JO, TD are forwards. There has even been a raised eyebrow to giving the nod to Mehmet Okur>Curry. There aren't that many true center in the league nowadays.

My personal ranking is ...
1) Shaq. Even injured he is better than the rest. To me he will fall out of 1 when he puts up the shoes.
2) Yao. he will eventually get no. 1. His height is what makes him good. He has very little fundamentals, if he were 6'11-7'0 his shot would get blocked every game.
3) Stoudemire actually is a center so he gets number 3. Bad knees keeps him from being no 2.
4) gotta give it to the dude no one knows how old he is. Dikembe. doing it big with Yao being out.
5) Curry is no. 5. Those double teams he is commanding is proof enough to me on that.

cangoods 01-12-2007 07:05 PM

Right now Curry is better the Dikembe and Stoudemire. Curry is teh focus of every defense we play. Neither of those players can say that.

JO and Chris Boash actually do play the 4 so i dont use them in my ranking.

This season curry is better than shaq, number 1 because he is playing :-) .

I would have to say though my ranking would look like this now.

1. Yao
2. Howard
3. Curry

I rank Howard above curry because he is a dominant shot blocker, and rebounder, and he can hold his own offensively.

Curry is a dominant offensively, average rebounder, and below average shot blocker.

- Cangoods

Amigo 01-12-2007 08:01 PM

So Pao is nowhere in the Top 5? Damn. Pao is at least number 3 if Shaq is number one. Specially for the fact that he hits threes, does assists, blocks, free throws, court savvy, runs the floor, fills the lane, helps on d, has good hands, can dribble and can find different ways to score.

bigdaddybluesman 01-12-2007 08:15 PM

Curry is dominate against teams without beef and height.

He has progressed, let's see him start to dominate teams with players his size.

Right now he can bully smaller teams.

Let's see if he has the determination to play the physical type game against equal opponents.

That will be a true measure and I haven't seen it yet.

If they equalize him than he should equalize them. A guy like Yao can't put up the numbers against him anymore like he has for anybody to take Curry seriously.

LouV 01-12-2007 08:44 PM

Mehmet Okur is an antelope.

He sticks on the outside and drains jumpers; looks slow but just when you weren't worrying about him, he barrels inside for a rebound, or sneaks inside for a backdoor play. Quicker than he looks.

Your list of top centers looks good, Knickcity. I think Curry needs another year of playing the way he's playing, and needs to continue to improve on rebounding and man-to-man defense before everyone else starts kosher-stamping him top 5. He'll never be the shot-blocking defender; but he could become a good, Bill-Cartright-esque, man-to-man defender. And as BigDaddy says, he needs to dominate good teams, versus the weak teams that he's been eating up.

Rameek 01-13-2007 06:42 AM

What are these rankings based on? This season?
Dikembe hasnt even started and finished 10 games and he is nominated in the top 5:no:
Shaq hasnt played much...
Mehmet Okur is a center no matter how much you dont like his game..
Dwight Howard and JO are Centers...
TD & Chris Bosh are PF's...

These Rankings are way off IMHO...

Marcus Camby, Ben Wallace, Biedrins, Chandler, Yao, Dalembert, Zydrunas Ilgauskas

joshk 01-13-2007 06:56 PM

Shaq no.1? His numbers this year have been a little low for no.1.

Yao Ming
Dwight Howard
Eddy Curry
Ben Wallace
Shaquille O'Neal

Amigo 01-13-2007 11:06 PM

You guys do know and remember that there is a center in the NBA called Pao Gasol right/???:confusedshrug:

joshk 01-14-2007 07:18 PM

Doesnt he JUST play PF? Im not being a jerk I seriously dont know.:confusedshrug:

ChanningShamgod 01-15-2007 01:43 AM

Gasol plays the five and Alexander Johnson plays the four, though Gasol is a true PF. The way the NBA is becoming, there are no more true centers, just power forwards who are big enough and who are strong enough to guard centers, and most do a good job, i.e. Jermaine O'Neal, Amare Stoudamire, and Chris Bosh. The problem with Eddy Curry is that while these guys need a double team to stop him, a rocket pack wouldn't help him guard them. So teams just let him shoot his 50 % fg pct and his 55 % ft pct and then just run around him on the other side of the court. Centers have to do three things - rebound, block shots, and spread the floor by either commanding a double team or hitting a consistent short jumper. Curry does very little of all of those.

joshk 01-15-2007 12:43 PM

With this newly found info, I would change my top 5.

Yao Ming
Dwight Howard
Pau Gasol
Amare Stoudemire
Eddy Curry
:D

Close 6: Ben Wallace