Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will Marbury's injury sink the Knicks again? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26959)

oldknickfan 01-21-2007 02:30 AM

Will Marbury's injury sink the Knicks again?

Hi folks! I have been too busy for a while to post here, but I thought that I would say hello and post this question. Thanks to those who have been PM'ing me. And yes I am still fine.

If you saw tonight's game against Indy, you saw that Stephon was playing very hurt and holding on as long as he could. His detirmined play proved enough for the knicks to coast to a win - even if it was with some difficulty.

For the past few weeks, Marbury has been playing the best ball of his career -- at both ends of the court.

If you recall, last year when he got injured after the six-game win streak, his injury put the finishing touch on the Knick's season.

A lot is different this year - but a lot is similar.

The Knicks have 3 more wins than at this time last year. Not much of a difference.

Curry is playing much better -- but he is only averaging a few more points than last year. 19+ now as opposed to 16+ PPG then.

Lee is playing much better.

Q who was playing D well last year is also playing much better on offence this season. No more shooting slump.

Crawford's shooting is inconsistent except when the game is on the line.

The Knicks fight harder to come back this year. However, shots taken too soon and a lack of timeouts cost them two games at the buzzers by one point each.

But as is evident by the Knick's difficulty holding their lead after Marbury left tonight's game -- if Marbury has a serious injury the Knicks could go down the tubes again.

So how serious do you think his injury is?

knickscity 01-21-2007 06:30 AM

Welcome back oldknickfan. Q is a decent passer. Don't know if he can run the point though. Can Mardy get some run if Marbs is hurt? This is twice now though that Marbs gets into a good groove then gets hurt. Hopefully not serious. We need the Captain.

JMEWLS 01-21-2007 07:29 AM

Marbury has been playing great these last few games, it looked like he was playing like he did a few seasons back. Hopefully this injury doesnt take affect on his great play

shafir 01-21-2007 10:47 AM

Hopefully it doesnt affect him much. If it does, Crawford, not Nate should run the point, with Q manning the 2. Welcome back OldKnicksFan.

Amigo 01-21-2007 11:41 AM

If he's out for too long, like five games, this injury will snuff any spark of hope they had for contending in the Atlantic division. Deja vu. Just like last year. They Knicks need a pure PG back up. Not Nate, not Mardy and definitely not Crawford.

Now, if they step up and play hard enough to compensate the loss of Marbs that will show that they are NOT the same joke of a team as last years incaration of the Knicks.

brooklynchild155 01-21-2007 12:25 PM

i hope his injury isnt serious because we playin wade next. marbury is better suited to gaurd wade.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 01-21-2007 12:26 PM

Hopefully starbury is fine. I hate when nate comes in a runs the one.

Give it to Jamal at the 1 because Q can't run one.

I'd bring Francis back just incase. We need a true back up point.

Don Che 01-21-2007 08:08 PM

Marbury can take some time off.

OK. Am I the only one that wants Marbury to be out for some time...
I want to see Nate and Mardy play to truly know how good they are running an offense...And remember when the knicks play well and make the playoffs , Marbury wont be on the team we need a general thats younger and we must check out who we have...

Crawford might be the right guy for the job you never know...He was a pg in college and beat out jay williams(when a lottery pick) at that spot in chicago.. I think he feels more uncomfortable when he's at the 2...His turnovers are not bringin up the ball..its off curls and going one on one with the defenders...If u tell Crawford to pass he will pass and at a high rate.

Marbury is playin his best ball..it would be best now to actually trade him for a younger and better fit pg.He has gained value durin this time...Marbury is talented but lets face it...hes seen his better days he wont be playin if/when the knicks make it to the ship.

Zeke says that we are rebuilding...we should actually do so by developing our younger talent and getting rid of our older ones.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 01-21-2007 08:17 PM

I don't want marbury to miss any time, i don't want to see nate and mardy run the gaurd. I want starbury.

Starbury was playing like an all-star, he's doing fine. Running the point and hitting 3 and penetrating like always and finishing. I'm a big fan of starbury.

Mardy and Nate will have there turn, not while starburys here though.

knickscity 01-21-2007 08:58 PM

Francis hasn't been the same since orlando when they trade Mobley from him. I thought they were lovers for a minute the way he was clowning after that went down.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 01-21-2007 10:36 PM

We need a true backup, Mardy's a rookie and i don't trust him some times. Nate isn't a true point gaurd and Francis is Trash.

oldknickfan 01-22-2007 02:58 AM

Marbury is playing better now than he ever did. In the past it was all scoring for him. Now, he is running the team better than he ever has. Lots of coaches have tried to teach him and it finally sunk in. First time in his career that he is making his players better by finally learning when to pass and when to score.

In addition, he is playing tough defence on the premier players.

Losing him for any length of time could hurt the Knicks progress and chances of a playoff berth.

But, it might help the progress of Nate and Mardy.

As was evident when Indy applied pressure when he left the game -- nobody on the knicks can handle the ball as well as Marbury.

Crawford can play PG in a pinch if Marbury is injured. But nobody on the Knicks is playing as well as Marbury.

Steve Francis is rehabbing and may get bought out.

------------------------------------------------
Thanks to all for welcoming me back.

Congrats to Handle the Rock on being appointed the Knicks Mod.

Why the Kidd icon? Are you also the Nets mod?

shafir 01-22-2007 07:15 AM

No, it was because of an avatar bet at the Nets game.

cangoods 01-22-2007 09:40 AM

My feeling is that i dont want marbury to be out, but i think he is playing too many minutes. He is going to break down playing this many minutes.

He shoudl be playing about 30 minutes a game. And to me that comes down to How crawford and nate are playing. Nate has to give you better minutes than he has. He needs to be giving you a good 25 minutes a game or so.

But what i notice about nate, is that if he isnt scoring he isnt into the game.
He really needs to score to be effective. I am just concerened w/ marbury and q having to play so mahy minutes.

ALso teh key to this whole thing is crawford. Whoever told him that he could take off the first 3 quarters of a game, and start playing real basketball in the 4th needs to be slapped. For teh knicks to be effective crawford needs to be a work horse playing 45 or so minutes a game at a high level. He is teh youngest vet we have in the back court.

- Cangoods

oldknickfan 01-22-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shafir
No, it was because of an avatar bet at the Nets game.

Thanks for the info.