Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   OT: Do you let Bernie go? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27508)

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-25-2007 10:21 AM

OT: Do you let Bernie go?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252007...man.htm?page=2

i'd say as long as there is a roster spot, keep him on. remember how valuable he was last season with all the injuries? but sooner or later, Yankees gotta simply retire Bernie and give him an office job with the team

knickscity 01-25-2007 10:45 AM

Hes has earned it. I agree 100%

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 01-25-2007 11:58 AM

I agree if theres a spot then keep him, he's going to go soon though. Melky will do just fine now.

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-25-2007 12:06 PM

re

however, what role does Bernie play if we keep em? (i'm abig Yankees fan)

he is a fifth outfielder who does like to pinch run.

of course, we could rest the starters on nights against weak competition and start Bernie, but other than that, Bernie may feel unused.

good thing he's a consummate professional and would never complain

bigdaddybluesman 01-25-2007 12:57 PM

A dilemma most teams would be lucky to have.

It's really up to Bernie.

He should say I'll do what you need and pinch run, hit and even grab a first baseman's glove.

You never know, it's a long season and injuries do happen.

I would try and find a way to keep him.

Amigo 01-25-2007 06:56 PM

I'm not a Yankee fan but I am a fan of Bernie's team in the Winter League In Puerto Rico. I think he's done alot for the Yanks and he should fill in a roster spot if available. I mean if they can't find anyone better. He's done good for himself and for the team.

Rameek 01-25-2007 08:20 PM

He should retire and work in the front office or assist the coaching staff in some capacity...
Frankly speaking... If you dont hit with a lot of pop or have superior defense at his age there is no reason for him to take a roster spot because of nostalgia.
I think he is a real class act.:cheers: :rockon: A Yankee Icon.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk 01-25-2007 08:43 PM

It's up to Bernie to me, If he wants to stay then he's more then welcome. I don't see why we wouldn't keep him.

shafir 01-25-2007 10:23 PM

We've got to keep him regardless of who we would have to keep out of the roster(Melky, Phillips) This guy is a legend, and as long as he wants to play, he has to be a Yankee.

LouV 01-25-2007 10:34 PM

They should keep him one more year. He hit well last year!

They shouldn't play him over Cabrera though -- not playing Melky in the playoffs hurt the team. They became a lineup that was waiting for the homerun again.

Melky should be #1 reserve outfielder, and Bernie should be the backup DH. No doubt they'll have injuries as the year progresses. Giambi is 35. Most hitters are done at 34, and for sure Giambi will experience injuries this year.

Why can't Bernie play some first base? Back 30 years ago it was typical for an aging outfielder to learn first late in his career.

It's not like the Yanks are spending a lot for Bernie. They overspend everywhere else..

Bring back Bernie!!!!

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 01-26-2007 07:46 PM

Re: OT: Do you let Bernie go?

what do you think of the rotation of Petitte, Mussina, Clemens (if signed, that's 3 pitches from 2002-2003 again) Wang, Igawa?

Derek 01-26-2007 09:45 PM

If Giambi is going to hit .250, then they need Bernie. At least with Bernie, you're guaranteed at least .270.

shafir 01-27-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
what do you think of the rotation of Petitte, Mussina, Clemens (if signed, that's 3 pitches from 2002-2003 again) Wang, Igawa?

I think its great, especially with the fact that Mussina, Petitte, and Clemens will just be warming the seats until Hughes, Ohlendorf, and Sanchez are ready to enter the MLB. Then the Yanks will have one of the best young rotations in the league.