Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Crooked basket (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303098)

Element 06-09-2013 09:24 AM

Crooked basket

Does it mess up my shot if I practice on a crooked basket?

It's the only one available atm

Pushxx 06-10-2013 12:19 AM

Re: Crooked basket

Growing up I played basketball at a lot of shitty-ass hoops.

I didn't realize until my late teens how much it was fucking up my jump shot.

Jameerthefear 06-10-2013 06:42 AM

Yes. Muscle memory will be off.

Rake2204 06-10-2013 10:06 AM

I support it. If it's the only basket you have, working on that one is certainly better than working on no basket at all. Yes, a part of muscle memory is accustoming oneself to the proper amount of force it may take to knock down, say, a 15 foot jumper and that force could differ from playing on a 10 foot rim in comparison to playing on a rim bent down to 9'8'', but that's only part of the equation.

A bent rim can still provide ample opportunity to work on just about every other part of your game. As mentioned, the strength memory may be thrown slightly askew, but making that adjustment (once you're back on a true 10ft. bucket) will likely be easier than many like to think it'd be. Also, a bent rim would still allow you to work and practice the correct shooting form.

In truth, most outdoor rims out there (and even many indoor rims) are not precisely 10ft. The outdoor buckets I play on vary from being a bit below 10ft. to being a little bit above 10ft. And in the end, once I get back into a gym (with a true 10 foot goal) there's a bit of an adjustment I have to make at first, but everything seems to fall in line pretty well once I warm up.

Element 06-10-2013 04:48 PM

Thanks, I see. The rim I'm talking about is bent downwards. It's easier to shoot from straightawa on it than with other rims, on the other hand shots from sideways are much tougher to hit because if you don't swish them they'll pretty much bounce out half the time due to the weird angle.

JMT 06-10-2013 05:55 PM

Shoot. Everywhere, anywhere, every chance you get. Learning to unconsciously adjust for a bent rim is the same as adjusting to a shot blocker or any other impediment or distraction.

imdaman99 06-10-2013 11:51 PM

im pretty sure larry bird's peach basket was not a regulation sized hoop. and look how he turned out

Pushxx 06-11-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imdaman99
im pretty sure larry bird's peach basket was not a regulation sized hoop. and look how he turned out

That was fucking Larry Bird, man.

Bandito 06-11-2013 12:24 PM

It is going to make up your shot but it is the only basket you have, it is better than nothing.

UtahJazzFan88 06-11-2013 08:26 PM

Not to derail the thread, but the first time I seen this from the main page, I thought it said cooked brisket. :oldlol:

360crazy 06-12-2013 01:27 AM

Practice? We're talking about practice?

Practice doesn't do anything.

Crystallas 06-12-2013 04:09 AM

Don't sit on your hands and worry about your shot. Fix the damn basket. That's what I always do, and did when I was a kid. It doesn't take long, especially if you have a few friends helping you out.