Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Houston Rockets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Gay for Battier (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3178)

hehehaha 06-28-2006 08:53 PM

Gay for Battier

So what's everyone think about this trade (proposal)?

Personally i was excited when shelden williams was taken #5 as one of the top 7 guys would drop to houston. When Gay was available i was ecstatic with the potential line up we could produce. Like i said on the main board acquiring battier feels more like a bandage solution. Grrrr.... i'm disappointed

RocketzMan 06-28-2006 09:20 PM

Gross, just gross. 29th in the league in scoring last season was not good enough for us. We want to be dead last. :banghead:

SCREWstonRockets 06-28-2006 09:56 PM

I'M PISSED! It's not just Rudy Gay for Shane, it's also going to be Swift in the deal also. WTF?!? There better be some other deals on the table. CD has really F'ed up on this one.

junwin 06-28-2006 09:58 PM

yeh i wanted Rudy to stay aswell. wen boston didnt take him i jumped out of my seat.... but just as quick... houston dont get to have him either

Mordecai11 06-28-2006 10:52 PM

GRRRR I was so happy when we got him but then we trade not only him but Stromile for Battier..

JusBlaze 06-28-2006 11:44 PM

Wait, though. The trade has NOT been officially announced. I believe there is something else included in the trade. We just have to wait and see what else we will receive.

Mordecai11 06-28-2006 11:45 PM

I hope we get something else or this trade doesn't go down or something....

HoustonRockets87 06-28-2006 11:57 PM

this sucks.....

hehehaha 06-29-2006 12:39 AM

hmmm, i haven't heard anything about the stromile thing, so i'll hold my judgement for now i guess.

junwin 06-29-2006 12:42 AM

IF stromile gets traded, do u think that Memphis would send Hakim Warrick to us??

i think that would level it out... cos IMO Hakim's potential > Stromile's potential

fatboy11 06-29-2006 08:21 AM

The deal, as it stands now, is Shane Battier for Stromile Swift and Rudy Gay.

I think we'll end up getting a future 1st rounder of out of the deal though.

ClutchCityReturns 06-29-2006 11:20 AM

There is no reason to believe that anything else will be added. Could it happen? I suppose so, but don't hold your breath.

The only reason this trade wasn't announced just like all the others is because Battier is a BYC (base year compensation) player, which makes him extremely hard to trade for certain reasons. However, after July 12th, he is no longer a BYC player, his restrictions are lifted, and the Gay/Swift for Battier trade gets a green light. It's really that simple. But...

Given the outside chance that the Rockets demand more from the trade, I would actually be extremely HAPPY with the following:

Stromile Swift
Juwan Howard
Rudy Gay

for

Shane Battier
Mike Miller

Memphis gets a solid veteran in Juwan, a potential star in Gay (who they obviously are very high on), and well, Swift is Swift. Houston gets a very solid player in Battier who can start at SF (if Tracy is willing to slide to SG) and Mike Miller can be the 6th man, which is a role he excels at. We could then target a PF (big enough to play C if needed...perhaps Wilcox?) with the MLE, re-sign Bogans for cheap and we're looking much better. Just maybe need to get another PG and SG somehow...maybe a trade exception (very unlikely) or a sign an undrafted player for the minimum (which you can always do, even when over the cap).

Alston / Head / (minimum salary player...Darius Washington?)
McGrady / Bogans / (minimum salary player...Mike Gansey?)
Battier / Miller / Bowen
Wilcox / Hayes / Novak
Yao / Mutombo

I could live with that...

But as this trade stands, we got taken to the cleaners. :banghead:

HoustonRockets87 06-29-2006 11:57 AM

i think gay could be an all-star :(. i don't like this trade.

baller03 06-29-2006 02:37 PM

damn your gm really screwed up for you guys..

hehehaha 06-29-2006 02:43 PM

Well it seems on of the main objectives was to rid ourselves of the Swift contract. although i feel we could have gotten more for Swift since his trade value is at a low right now.

At the end of the day i think we got hosed.

Is JVG influencing these moves by the GM? AFter the first 2 years under JVG i think it was clear that the rockets should have headed in a different direction