Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Utah Jazz Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Matt Harpring staying in utah (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4044)

New Jazzy Nets 07-04-2006 01:51 PM

Matt Harpring staying in utah

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640192167,00.html

Deal is believed to be around $25 million over 4 years

I like it but I would of liked us to maybe try for butler. But it's better then not getting a SF or ending up with a very shotty one.

greglove777 07-04-2006 02:18 PM

I'm really glad the jazz resigned him. First and foremost b/c he is one of the, if not the only, leaders the Jazz have. His on court game really doesn't comand an enourmous amount of respect, but on and off the court all the players listen to him. Secondly, he plays harder than most players in the NBA and is a perfect example of what Solan likes in his players. This is big for the Jazz for those two main reasons. I do agree though that I would have liked to see, and still do, a real outside threat. No doubt Matt can shoot, especially when he's 100%, but he has been a lot streakier in the last two years. I'm hoping that was just his health and, praise Allah, he can be healthy the for an entire season. So here is my BOLD prediction. Not only will the Harpring stay healthly all season, but the Jazz wil make the playoffs and then..........get killed. But hey...one step at a time. This is also tied to the hope that they don't trade Boozer for far below his worth which is all they can get for him right now. But I can still see them doing it.

insidehoops 07-04-2006 03:13 PM

Harpring puts his heart out there in regular season games probably more than almost anyone in the league

Heretik32 07-04-2006 03:40 PM

Good signing. Harpring might not be the most talented guy, but as ISH said, he puts his heart in it. And he's a decent shooter, so as said, good signing.

BTW, ISH: Black on purple is a bit hard on my old eyes. I know it's the team colours and all, but this just hurts ;)

cyco127 07-04-2006 04:39 PM

Yeah this cool. Matt's a solid back up. It's too bad the Jazz had to overpay him a bit, but he has been the heart and hustle of this team recently...:cheers:

Bricklayer 07-04-2006 05:20 PM

Harp's the man. I remember watching a game and during time out, it showed Stockton and Harp sitting next to each other on the bench. Stockton was clearly clowning on Harpring, who clearly didn't like it, which made Stockton crack up laughing. I've never seen Stock like that. Harp actually makes Stockton look like a goofball. And if that doesn't embody Sloan, I don't know what does. Kudos to the Jazz for recognizing he's a keeper. I also think Harp's gonna have a much healthier season and get closer to his 17 point average he had a couple years back. 17 points!! He's worth the money.

ak47smohawk 07-04-2006 06:16 PM

I think thats too long and way too much for Harpring. I don't think his knees have another 4 years left in them. He is worth the MLE, not much more. Would have been nice to have the Jazz go after some other guys before signing him so quick.

hardfoul 07-04-2006 09:12 PM

Good move, IMHO. He's one of the guys that ALWAYS hustles. That's worth something if for no other reason to make the talented younger guys earn any playing time they get.

lowblok 07-04-2006 09:20 PM

The best thing about this deal is that the Jazz know exactly what their getting. Alot of heart, hustle, leadership and double figures off the bench.

Maybe even the occasional start......

They know his medical condition better than anyone so giving him 4 yrs must say what they think of his knees.

SJellen 07-05-2006 12:00 PM

not bad. you know what your getting and if he gets hurt the contract wont kill you.

Summit42 07-06-2006 09:15 AM

Matt is all hustle, he reminds me of Jerry Sloan back in the day. I think i would count on both hands the combined total of smiles I have seen the both of them bust out while on the court.

Pre777 07-06-2006 11:08 AM

I agree, Matt is a keeper. A gritty veteran on a team that has very little experience.