View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Improving my 2-foot vertical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Thanks for the help. After doing a bit of research I think I found out what was wrong with my 2-footed technique. Apparently there are 2 main techniques for jumping off of 2 feet, the 1-2 step (you dribble, then do a 1-2 first into the foot opposite of your dribbling hand then onto the other foot, then jump immediately after), and the hop step (dribble, then use the foot opposite of your dribbling hand to hop into the air, preferably covering a lot of horizontal distance and little vertical distance in order to transfer your energy properly, land on on both feet at the same time and jump immediately after). I have bad footwork, so I think when dribbling the ball I use the 1-2 step, but when going for the rim without the ball I use the second technique, which might explain the discrepancy between me jumping with and without the ball. I haven't put this theory into work yet as it's been raining today and the gym closed early, but does this sound plausible to you? Also, which technique do you use for jumping off of 2 feet while dribbling the ball, and if you have tried both, do you notice any difference in how high you get?
I'm a 1-2 step two foot jumper. Just as you said, I plant my left foot then lead with my right and explode. Terrence Ross and Desmond Mason both jump in this fashion. A lot of two-foot leapers actually go the opposite, planting their right foot first and leading with their left, making their body crook sideways in mid-air (like Vince Carter). Then, as you mentioned, there's the hop step leapers, like Michael Finley. As Burgz mentioned, they all make their own styles work, it just seems to be a matter of repetition and comfort.

Mason, right foot forward example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZWaEBMFVRw#t=0m15s

Carter, left foot forward example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bra0iEoq70

Finley, hop step example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBQ7cwpHL8

My trick for my right foot forward explosion off the dribble is to remind myself to stay low and to lead my last dribble in front of my body a little bit (which you can see Mason do in his example). Oftentimes my issue with two foot explosion with a ball vs. without is the fact that the live dribble keeps my body a little too upright at times, especially if my dribble doesn't happen to be incredibly low. As such, placing that last dribble low and in front of me gives me a split second to properly build up my spring and explode.

Through all of this, the good news is if I had to pick between being a one-foot dunker or two-foot dunker, I'd take the one foot, which seems to be your preference as well. I switched over to being strictly a two-foot dunk my senior year in high school and as someone of guard size (6'4'') my only dunk opportunities were fast breaks and needing to plant both feet usually led to slipping, bad plants, or being fouled from behind.

When I switched back to being a primary one-foot guy, dunk opportunities abounded. It's much better to be able to attack and elevate immediately as opposed to worrying about setting one's feet. I still have two-foot dunking in my back pocket and still jump off two very frequently depending on the situation, it's just not my primary means of dunking anymore.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote