Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Krust Kingz

Default Re: NY Knicks Duo isnt that SUPER

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I took the article differently than some of you. I see it as what Melo and Stat must do to be superstars. Are they willing to do what it takes to lead a team in all facets of the game to the championship. I dont see the same effort or drive to be a champion. I dont think they leave everything on the court to be considered super stars. I think they are all stars but not LEET at the moment. They show flashes of greatness and moments... had they exhibited the intensity/effort at both ends of the floor along with the dirty things then sure they would get little argument from me about how bad the talent is around them because they do all they can a large percentage of the time.

No one wins championships without smart or solid NBA talent.[/COLOR]

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

The article is as obvious as it could be, and I'm speaking personally from having met him.

He is a very contradictory guy, he literally talks out the side of his mouth.

He calls LeBron and Wade superstars because they compete on both sides of the ball.

Yet brings up Durant and Dirk as if they do that as well.

Durant doesn't play a lick of defense yet has the build to be an excellent defender.

Dirk is only in the league because he is 7-0 with a lethal fadeaway.

If Berman really think Durant is a superstar, then he needs to stop shitting on Melo, because he does it just as well, if not better.

Amar'e is the best PF in the league, and I still don't think he is a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]I took the article differently than some of you. I see it as what Melo and Stat must do to be superstars. Are they willing to do what it takes to lead a team in all facets of the game to the championship. I dont see the same effort or drive to be a champion. I dont think they leave everything on the court to be considered super stars. I think they are all stars but not LEET at the moment. They show flashes of greatness and moments... had they exhibited the intensity/effort at both ends of the floor along with the dirty things then sure they would get little argument from me about how bad the talent is around them because they do all they can a large percentage of the time.

No one wins championships without smart or solid NBA talent.[/COLOR]
    You could have just quoted the article, you said the same thing.

I disagree with the latter though, just about every championship had a certified idiot on the team, or controversial player in their main rotation.

Those type wind up being x-factors which is integral to the team.

Artest
    Baby or Nate
    Odom or Vujacic
    Sheed

It goes on and on.

But there must be an alpha-male on the team that all the players submit to.

I don't mean leader.

That guy for us has to be Melo.

To make it clear.

Pierce is Boston's leader, but KG is that Alpha male.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    The article is as obvious as it could be, and I'm speaking personally from having met him.

He calls LeBron and Wade superstars because they compete on both sides of the ball.

Durant doesn't play a lick of defense yet has the build to be an excellent defender.

If Berman really think Durant is a superstar, then he needs to stop shitting on Melo, because he does it just as well, if not better.

You're way off base on Dirk. He's a good defender and defensive rebounder. Not as incredible defensively as he is offensively, but quite solid. And there's a lot more to his game than just an unguardable fadeaway. He's one of only, like four guys to have career playoff averages of 23 and 11 or something. And that's over a 13 year career.

Guy's a bona fide HOFer. I wish the Knicks had drafted him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    You're way off base on Dirk. He's a good defender and defensive rebounder. Not as incredible defensively as he is offensively, but quite solid. And there's a lot more to his game than just an unguardable fadeaway. He's one of only, like four guys to have career playoff averages of 23 and 11 or something. And that's over a 13 year career.

Guy's a bona fide HOFer. I wish the Knicks had drafted him.
    How was I way off base?

I said he's in the league because he's 7'0 and has an unstoppable fadeaway.

That is why he is still in the league.

He isn't in the League because of his defense, everyone would agree with that.

Dirk doesn't even have to win a ring to make the hall, it's a "Basketball HOF".

He's int'l, he'd make it even if average in the NBA.

I mentioned Dirk because Berman did in his article, and from personally talking in depth with him about it.

NBA rookie of the year

How was I way off base?

I said he's in the league because he's 7'0 and has an unstoppable fadeaway.
    As if that's all there is to his game. And all Amar'e can do is jump high.

That is why he is still in the league.
    He's still in the league because he's a franchise player who is better at basketball than pretty much everyone else on the planet.

He isn't in the League because of his defense, everyone would agree with that.
    Neither is Melo. Or Amar'e. Or even Wade or LeBron or Kobe. The majority of superstars out there. I don't see the point.
    Dirk doesn't even have to win a ring to make the hall, it's a "Basketball HOF".

He's int'l, he'd make it even if average in the NBA.
    And if Muggsy Bogues were taller, he'd be a center. Even if he's average in the NBA? You're talking about Dirk like he's a prospect or something, and not one of the consistently best players in the league for the past decade.

I mentioned Dirk because Berman did in his article, and from personally talking in depth with him about it.
    I should probably read the article.

NBA rookie of the year

I have now read the article. There's nothing controversial in there. Dirk's better defensively than Melo, Amar'e, and Durant though. He's better period. He'd be a bigger superstar if he was an American. Or seemed more American, like Nash.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Navy"]I read where you spoke to him a few years ago and had a similar conversation. People arent allowed to change their opinion or thought processes?

I think Dirk and Durant does more on the court than Melo and Anthony IHO. [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Navy"]I read where you spoke to him a few years ago and had a similar conversation. People arent allowed to change their opinion or thought processes?

I think Dirk and Durant does more on the court than Melo and Anthony IHO. [/COLOR]
    And that's your opinion, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    I have now read the article. There's nothing controversial in there. Dirk's better defensively than Melo, Amar'e, and Durant though. He's better period. He'd be a bigger superstar if he was an American. Or seemed more American, like Nash.
    Come on son, I know you don't believe that.

All of them are bad defenders including Dirk, especially Nash.

No one watching Nash would even put defense in the same word as him.

People rip Amar'e all day, every day about being a poor defender, but since Dirk is a foreign player he gets props for being average?

Melo defends when he wants to, we've all seen that.

I never said Dirk didn't play defense at all, he is average at best.

Berman article when comparing LeBron/Wade to Amar'e/Melo is that you always see the former locked in on defense.

Then there is no way Durant and Dirk can be in that category because they aren't always locked in on defense.

I think Kobe is though, but he clearly is on the decline.

But point is Dirk is not a superstar based on what Berman himself has said.

I pretty much agree with knickscity.

Also Melo > Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    I pretty much agree with knickscity.

Also Melo > Durant.
    Had Melo won that scoring title, he would be in that spot, I truly feel based on how it's awarded.

My thing with Dirk, and I respect his offense, the guy is lights out.

But to prop his defense up because he is an int'l player, I can't do that.

His defense for his position as a 7 footer is not noteworthy.

It's the same stunt people use to boost up Manu, which I actually think is a solid player on both sides of the ball.

Bottom line to me, Berman flip flops his stance constantly.

I noted that when I met him and I still see it now.

Had Melo won that scoring title, he would be in that spot, I truly feel based on how it's awarded.
    Melo actually had more points per minute than Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    Melo actually had more points per minute than Durant.
    True, but I'm not knocking Durant for being there.

My issue is that Melo isn't there at all, when the only legit separation was Durant winning the scoring title.

I did go back and look and one season A.I. won the scoring title but was 2nd team all-nba.

But hard to give the nod over two NBA finalists I guess.

True, but I'm not knocking Durant for being there.

My issue is that Melo isn't there at all, when the only legit separation was Durant winning the scoring title.

I did go back and look and one season A.I. won the scoring title but was 2nd team all-nba.

But hard to give the nod over two NBA finalists I guess.
    I totally agree with this.

I don't have anything against Durant being in the 1st team.
    But if Durant is in the 1st team and Melo isn't even on the list then it's something really wrong there.