Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease carpevicis's Avatar

Default Some advice for basketball players

Whats up everyone, I just got back from my second session at Point Guard College and this time the director was a women's college player who led the country in assists, was an All-American and was drafted into the WNBA. Like my first session, I learned a lot about basketball but also a lot about life and how it relates to basketball. I figured I'd post about practice and motivation so people like MannyO and others who want to play at the collegiate level can get some insight. Here goes:

Almost everyone already knows how to play basketball. Everyone looking to play at the next level, which for me and many others, already knows to a certain extent how to shoot, dribble, pass and run an offense. But what I didn't know was that skills only take you so far. Here's the statistic I want to share:

About 3.1% of high school basketball players will play at the college level for an NCAA school. Many of you want to get a scholarship to a D1 or D2 school. That number is even lower.

I'm not throwing this stat out to discourage anyone. I'm throwing this out to motivate all of you. The truth is that it is so hard to make it that you really have to spent a good amount of time working on your game. How many of you have ever skipped a workout or went easy on the court? I know I did, but I didn't understand that when people tell you others are working hard, they're not lying.

Now here's the second part of this. All of us basketball players will eventually stop playing basketball. It can be for physical, mental or personal reasons, but the point is that we're not going to play forever. This is why I wanted to share with you all about urgency.

Our windows of opportunity for basketball are short. For those of us who want to play in college it's even shorter. For some we might stop when we're 18 and leave high school, for others 21, and for even others a later date. I'm not sure about you, but I have 2 years left to make my dream come true. People have told me I could always play college ball when I'm in my 20s or 30s but that's not what I want, I want to play it when I leave HS because I feel like returning to college just to play is a waste of time. So if I have so little time left, why waste it by doing pointless things like playing video games and chilling when I should be practicing and lifting?

Let me share why I'm doing this, why I'm sharing this. I want to start a thread where anyone can come and get motivated. I'm 16 and for my whole life people told me I was garbage at basketball. That hurt me but looking back at it I can see where it was coming from, because I didn't care until about 8 months ago. I'd eat so much garbage, waste so much time and play when I felt like it.

I talked to a D3 coach about my aspirations. They told me anything was possible but it would be harder because I was a late bloomer: a person who didn't know their goals until later on in life. But now I know what I want, so I'm going to get it.

Last night was the last night at my Point Guard College session. It was 4 days of the most exhausting basketball activities I'd ever done in my life. Everyday I felt so sore and tired it was a struggle to keep going. Then, this happened in the final tournament we played in.

15 players were chosen as captains to pick players from a group of 63 other athletes to form a team of 5. I sat on the bleachers until there were about 5 players left. 5 players. I was disappointed and angry because I honestly thought I deserved to go higher. So I went out with a chip on my shoulder and I played the worst basketball of my life.

I'm not going to get into details but I shot 0/2. The last shot I took was a 2 on 1 breakaway layup for my team to win. I missed.

That's my motivation.

Please post if you have anything to add.

Default Re: Some advice for basketball players

I only have 2 years also, but I'm hoping to make it 3 if I can repeat or take a postgraduate year at a prepschool.

I'm 5'8 right now, my dad is 6'2" and I'm supposed to be anywhere from 5'11 to 6'1. I've been growing 4 inches a year for the past 2 years so I really hope I can get there.

I think one of the keys is for basketball to be fun. Its just a game, and it should be fun.

At the same time, I love playing with a chip on my shoulder. People telling me I won't make it because I'm too small, makes me go a little harder.

This has inspired me. My season starts november 20 and I truly need a breakout year. I was my teams starting point guard last year but did not do enough in my opinion.

My goal is to average 20-25 ppg this season, with a good amount of assits/steals and rebounds too.

I have around 80 days before my season. Everyday I'm going to post what I did in the day to keep me going, starting tommorow. Join in if you want.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Hmm a very nice thread. Must use a WOW OMG I MUST LOOK AT THIS THREAD title though.

I'm going in 9th grade this year, so I guess I have 4 years.

I'm 5'6 right now, but I'm trying out for point guard.

People always said I sucked. They always said I had no passion. They always said I would always be a watcher standing by while the world goes in a spiral. Now, I'm going to prove them wrong.

I always loved basketball. I loved all games, but the brilliance of basketball is just too great.

I never actually understood the rules of basketball until 3 months ago. I have been playing basketball even though I was 5 though. When I showed them my basketball skills, they said I was naturally talented. I don't know how to take this advice though, because I practiced 5 hours a day from the age of 5 to 8 and 1-3 hours from 11 to now.

I improved my skills 3x more this year than all those years from correct practice techniques.

Alot of people say I can't make it though. They say I would get dominated in a game. They say I can't break through the barrier of limitation, but everyone has no limits.

^^^^ I hope you do man. Also, it would be good if you could post some videos. I need alot of videos to learn(hoping to make JV in 9th grade).

Yeah good luck to both of you, I'll definitely try to keep a daily update on my training starting tomorrow.

I'm 5'7" and I hope I can be around 5'10" without shoes but I've seen in my eyes that height and size doesn't matter. I played with this kid who was 5'8" and 130, but you'd never have known by the way he played. He drove in the lane hard and banged with players 10 inches taller while still managing to finish. He wasn't the most athletic but he was fearless.

I need a strong year also. I haven't played legit basketball on a team/in a league before. I was cut year after year after year and there's a possibility I might be moving to the Los Angeles area where I know they're serious about ball there.

And yeah, there's been a lot of negativity. I can count all the people who believed in me on 2 hands. Some of those people I saw once and haven't seen them since, others I still keep in touch with. These are the people I fight for. Other than that, it's always "he's too small, he's too slow, he's too weak or he's too bad". For me, combining the negative aspects with the positive parts really helps push you through.

Damn, Carpevicius when i read something about you, you're always negging you, always saying that you did bad things. You have to stop that bro, it's not good for you :s

NBA Superstar

A college basketball spot will be there for you guys if you want it. There are a lot more college roster spots than you think, if you're willing to put in the work. You can look at the 3.2% number (percentage of high school players who play college ball) from a couple of different perspectives. I liked to break it down logically.

3.2% is 3.2% of all high school players. That includes each teams' best player, the last guy on the bench who plays every three games, and everyone in between. If you commit and work hard enough to get to the point of being the best or one of the best players on your team, your chances of playing college ball are actually greatly higher than 3.2%.

In fact, just off the top of my head (completely unsophisticated here) I'd bet the chances of a high school teams' first or second best player playing college ball could be at least 80% (if they were to pursue such an option, many do not). Coaching at an admitted non-powerhouse class B school (the 2nd largest of four state classifications) I've seen some of my best players leave basketball behind at high school while other times I've seen the fourth or fifth guy take advantage and carve out a college basketball career themselves. Therefore, I never felt that 3.2% number did anything but scare people. If you're a great player, you can play college ball. You're not fighting insurmountable odds.

In terms of what keeps me going though, my basketball motivation is to use my skill while I still have it. I've worked under this mindset since I turned 19 or 20. Post high school I assumed my best basketball days were behind me. I realized though, my prime had not yet arrived. Since that realization, I've spent my freetime taking advantage of what I have, enjoying every day on the basketball court, maximizing my ability, dunking like I might blow out my ACL tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Yeah good luck to both of you, I'll definitely try to keep a daily update on my training starting tomorrow.

I'm 5'7" and I hope I can be around 5'10" without shoes but I've seen in my eyes that height and size doesn't matter. I played with this kid who was 5'8" and 130, but you'd never have known by the way he played. He drove in the lane hard and banged with players 10 inches taller while still managing to finish. He wasn't the most athletic but he was fearless.

I need a strong year also. I haven't played legit basketball on a team/in a league before. I was cut year after year after year and there's a possibility I might be moving to the Los Angeles area where I know they're serious about ball there.

And yeah, there's been a lot of negativity. I can count all the people who believed in me on 2 hands. Some of those people I saw once and haven't seen them since, others I still keep in touch with. These are the people I fight for. Other than that, it's always "he's too small, he's too slow, he's too weak or he's too bad". For me, combining the negative aspects with the positive parts really helps push you through.
    Its true it really doesnt matter. But for someone like me the extra inches would really help me look more legit as a baller, and would help my ability to dunk and get shots off. I've always thought that those that could dunk have a much better chance at playing on the next level.

First day down... just lifted legs and then went to the rec center and got up shots with my friend for 2 hours. Not a bad day but I need to keep up the hard work if I want to go anywhere.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

I'm sort of in the same position as you. I haven't played organized ball since 7th grade and I'm going to be a sophomore this year. I've been cut since 8th grade and I've tried to shrug it off and keep trying. I've drilled and lifted this summer and if I don't make the team this year, I'm giving up. I love basketball, but not enough to dedicate my entire life to it. I'm probably going to switch sports to body building which I have always wanted to do but couldn't because it would negatively effect my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I'm sort of in the same position as you. I haven't played organized ball since 7th grade and I'm going to be a sophomore this year. I've been cut since 8th grade and I've tried to shrug it off and keep trying. I've drilled and lifted this summer and if I don't make the team this year, I'm giving up. I love basketball, but not enough to dedicate my entire life to it. I'm probably going to switch sports to body building which I have always wanted to do but couldn't because it would negatively effect my game.
    Bodybuilding will negatively effect your health if you really get into it. Be careful with that if that's what you end up doing.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Bodybuilding will negatively effect your health if you really get into it. Be careful with that if that's what you end up doing.
    I'm not going to try to be on of those heavy-weight hulk-like guys. I might just make it a hobby and try to be bigger and more cut up than the average guy.

Edit: To be honest, I'm talking out my ass. I'm probably not going to quit basketball no matter how many times I get cut. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to be good at something.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

Edit: To be honest, I'm talking out my ass. I'm probably not going to quit basketball no matter how many times I get cut. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to be good at something.

Worked on my 3 point shot for the first time in a long time today. Was airballing quite a bit at first but once I got warmed up and started using my legs I started to hit them.

I'm just going to practice 3s and driving to the rim now. My mid range game is decent but I'm not going to work on it so I can improve on other aspects of my game. My goal is to become a PG with a nasty shot. Steve Nash style.

Learning to shoot layups

I'm a 14 year old freshmen this season and all the talk is that I'll be playing both JV and Varsity, heres my basketball profile

- 6'1" tall
    - 141 pounds(need a weight lifting program)
    - Combo Guard(played mostly point my whole life)
    - Pretty long with a 6'5" or so wingspan
    - Can dunk with ease
    - Played varsity and JV all summer league long and played pretty well
    - Strengths: Ball Handling, Quickness, Finishing, Athleticism, Length, Rebounding
    - Weaknesses: Outside Shot, Midrange Shooting, TURNOVERS(biggest point my coaches have made, Controlling Tempo, Forcing Passes, Streaky Shooting
    - I've never came of a the bench for any game till this varsity summer league
    - Been playing organized ball since I was 7
    - Attending a high school that is all about basketball with a coach who has been there for close to 30 years, always a top 5 team in basketball but no state championship, play in the top class

I'm 99.9% sure I'll be starting at PG on JV this league and coming off the bench as a combo guard and getting a couple minutes here and there on varsity. We're a consensus top 3 team in the state led by 3 seniors who have all been JV/Varsity since freshmen year. This includes an all-state PG.

I've got a little bit of local hype as I've usually been the best player on the court thus far. I've gotten nothing as far as colleges go though but I've played in a couple big name tournaments and camps and did fairly well, I'm hoping this year I can push into 6th man type minutes for our team and help us win a state championship. For my sophomore year I'm hoping I can make a push for all-district as the keys will be handed over to me and Junior and Senior year my goal is to make all-state. I know I'm gifted to be given this size and length. Thus far everything has seemed easy getting by based on pure athletic ability but I know I have to get out there and earn it now.

My coach is kinda old school and in the summer league I got in the doghouse a little bit after committing a good bit of turnovers. My style is basically full speed all the time and I know I gotta control that to not just get to the next level but the division 1 level

Quote Originally Posted by carpevicis
    Worked on my 3 point shot for the first time in a long time today. Was airballing quite a bit at first but once I got warmed up and started using my legs I started to hit them.

I'm just going to practice 3s and driving to the rim now. My mid range game is decent but I'm not going to work on it so I can improve on other aspects of my game. My goal is to become a PG with a nasty shot. Steve Nash style.
    Why are you airballing? Not enough power? Different form?