Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
       

Default What is your ethnicity? (and two bonus questions)

for some reason i'm kind of fascinated by the origins of people. feel like sharing?

1) what are your roots?

2) if you could have any particular extra roots in a culture / ethnicity of your choice, what would it be?

3) any particular comments about being the species that you are? like, positive or negative?

myself, i'm half peruvian (born there), one quarter german, one quarter english. but if i could add another influence, it would be celtic (like irish / scottish / welsh / old french) or asian (chinese or japanese). and yes, i'm proud to be peruvian, but still embarrassed that my spanish is so primitive (after age four i grew up in the USA).

you?

National High School Star

Default Re: What is your ethnicity? (and two bonus questions)

Black and white; mom is white and dad is black.

Banned

Mexican is my ancestry from both sides of my family. My parents come from the same city and state (Culiacan, Sinaloa) From mine and my fathers pale skin tone and family color of past generations and the information I've received, most of my ancestors were of Spanish origin and indigenous native Mexicans. I know of no specifics.

I was born in Los Angeles and have lived here in California all my life but have traveled to Mexico quite frequently throughout my life. I have always been content with being Mexican, although I would have hated to be dark in skin color. Since im not, the race and origin of where I come from doesn't really bother me in the least. Ive always leaned towards being what some people would consider 'acting white' but wouldn't really wish to be Caucasian or anything. Most Mexicans that describe with that phrase are usually ignorant people anyway.

1/2 Mexican, 1/4 Italian (my grandpa on dad's side), 1/4 Spaniard (my great grandparents on Mom's side.

Wish I had some Japanese blood so I can go Ninja/Samurai on my haters

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Caucasian, German/Irish/Dutch/Scottish/other ancestry. If I could add something, maybe a bit of black. Not too much though ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Mexican is my ancestry from both sides of my family. My parents come from the same city and state (Culiacan, Sinaloa) From mine and my fathers pale skin tone and family color of past generations and the information I've received, most of my ancestors were of Spanish origin and indigenous native Mexicans. I know of no specifics.

I was born in Los Angeles and have lived here in California all my life but have traveled to Mexico quite frequently throughout my life. I have always been content with being Mexican, although I would have hated to be dark in skin color. Since im not, the race and origin of where I come from doesn't really bother me in the least. Ive always leaned towards being what some people would consider 'acting white' but wouldn't really wish to be Caucasian or anything. Most Mexicans that describe with that phrase are usually ignorant people anyway.
    That's the racial make up of like 75-80% of the Mexican population.

my ethnicity is Jazz, but my race is rock and roll.

1) what are your roots?

pure bred chinese

2) if you could have any particular extra roots in a culture / ethnicity of your choice, what would it be?

Brazilian

3) any particular comments about being the species that you are? like, positive or negative?

we're ignorant, proud and ambitious, we play it safe but a few of us fall into pit holes without ever climbing out because of our big egos

Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrian aka ex. Yugoslavian ethnicity/ancestry... have different type of religions in me/my family/relatives aswell, muslim (Father is Bosnian) Christian/Orthodox (Mother is from Croatia/Montenegro)... not so religious myself, but yea i love my ancestry/culture, wouldnt want any change and there has been only positives...
    Last edited by pauk; 01-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Banned

1. White American, roots back to 1700s
    2. Wouldn't change... maybe a German in the early twentieth century. [COLOR="White"]Just kidding.[/COLOR]
    3. The human species has only positives.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    That's the racial make up of like 75-80% of the Mexican population.
    Not entirely correct.

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

1/2 Bosnian, 1/2 Austrian

wish I had some Italian blood, i fcking love that country!

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrian aka ex. Yugoslavian ethnicity/ancestry... have different type of religions in me/my family/relatives aswell, muslim (Father is Bosnian) Christian/Orthodox (Mother is from Croatia/Montenegro)... not so religious myself, but yea i love my ancestry/culture, wouldnt want any change and there has been only positives...
    May I ask you where you live?

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

I'm Filipino, but around 1/10-1/8 Spanish. Both my parents came from families which had pure Spanish roots, with a little Chinese blood thrown in from my grandpa on my mom's side. Wouldn't really wanna change a thing as our culture's so diverse and the history, however point of view it may come from, will always provide a great blend of information, philosophy, and narrative. Regarding the last question, well, I think we tend to bring the wrong people into office. Oftentimes, the elections really just becomes a popularity contest, which explains the number of former and current celebrities and media personalities who are now politicians. Then again, everyone accusses everyone of corruption here. Will think of other comments later (but probably due to our "manana" habit, I'll probably put that off til much later on )

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Mexican. Both of my parents were born in Mexico (Jalisco), my great grandfather from my dad side was born in Spain, my grandma from my mom side is light skinned with blue eyes, I'm guessing she has some french in her blood and I'm also guessing I have some native american blood since I saw alot of Native American writings on rocks when I visited my Dad's hometown in Mexico. Both of my parents look Mexican, although there are times when my Dad's brown eyes do look hazel. I have black hair & brown eyes and for the most part look like your average Mexican born in America (Born in the Bay Area).

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

yeah I thought of the Louis CK bit right away too when reading this thread...

being Caucasian just looks too good on a resume...I don't think I would add anything but more caucasianess ;)

I would love to be black for a week or two though...I would just go around jumping in front of old white people screaming at the top of my lungs...