Default Three Year Deal For Coach Casey

@SmithRaps: Raptors have agreement in principle with Dwane Casey on a three-year deal, according to sources

Default Re: Three Year Deal For Coach Casey

Such a strange move, I wouldn't keep him. But I guess if you factor his relationship with lowry and the 48 win season with lots of franchise records being broken it makes some sense.
    Last edited by Himan12; 05-05-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Not surprised that he was brought back all things considered, but man only a day after ?

I thought 2 with an option would be what the Raps would offer and Casey would eventually accept.

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Not surprised that he was brought back all things considered, but man only a day after ?

This deal was undoubtedly agreed upon awhile ago and just not reported until now as not to distract from on the on court product.

Who Dat? Geaux Saints! Pistol Pete's Avatar

I'd also prefer 2 years + an option year. After this season, I didn't think there would be any chance they'd let him go, he's a very average coach, I'd prefer another person, but if he takes them through the rebuild, then whatever, not a huge deal, the team is still a few years from winning anything and if the players like him, I'm good with it.

He's not a championship level coach though, doubt Masai believes it either.

Firing is not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
    He's not a championship level coach though, doubt Masai believes it either.
    He was as an assistant. I believe that's one of the reasons he was brought back.

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

A re-up was inevitable and with how rich MLSE is the length of term is irrelevant. If he sucks, he'll still get canned.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Casey has improved as a coach. Is he a strong defensive coach yes. Did he have the personel to match up well with pierce and Johnson no. I don't think we can blame him for that. I was a bit surprised he never went back with fields, who was the only guy the whole series that had any semblance of success against him. Casey is stability, which this franchise needs. Multiple years in a row going to the playoffs. With young guys on their roster, one could realistically expect improvements still from Derozen and then huge upsides in Ross and Val. Lets be honest, raps nearly beat the nets with a struggling ross, an inconsistent Val and a hobbled Amir. Plus two bad matchups with JJ and Pierce.

Coach Casey needs to spend alot of team on end game situations. coming up with play designs that utilize the strengths of the players, but is not too predictable. Hiring an expert in this area, and/ or studying tape could go along way. If Masai can add a piece or two, a big. physical wing that can shut scorers down ie.tucker. I think Masai would have his defence set. Just needs to work on becoming a better offensive coach. Especially at the end of games.

I don't think term will be a probably, because as others have said you can just fire him if you ever need a new coach.