Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Anyone good at making thesis statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    I always thought quoting someone was very typical. It always felt like the easy way out since you couldn't think of anything yourself.
    It is like saying: this quote really reflect what I want to express better than I can write it myself.

While typical, it's much better than writing a corny line or a bad one. It's safe for non writers, you cannot go wrong with it provided it's a good and relevant quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Odomize
    how about quoting someone?

Mandela's life can be summed up perhaps by what a young South African girl told Mandela on his 90th birthday: "Dear Madiba, on your happy day, we thank you for uniting the people of our country, so that all children can grow up together, never mind what language they speak or color they may be. Happy 90th birthday."
    im pretty sure you're not supposed to use quotes in thesis statements.

I had to write a Persuasive piece on Abortion. I had a little trouble with the beginning so I decided to use a quote. This was the quote I used:

Russian born American Novelist Ayn Rand eloquently states my contention.
    “I cannot project the degree of hatred required to make those women run around in crusades against abortion. Hatred is what they certainly project, not love for the embryo, which is a piece of nonsense no one could experience, but hatred, a virulent hatred for an unnamed object. Their hatred is directed against human beings as such, against the mind, against reason, against ambition, against success, against love, against any value that brings happiness to human life. In compliance with the dishonesty that dominates today's intellectual field, they call themselves 'pro-life’.

It really helped me on my way to state my contention.

This was a fair few years ago when I was in the 11th grade in High School, it got me an A. This sh*t wouldn't fly in University though. (I assume you're in College?)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Ya, if you're in HS use a quote. Those english HS teachers go apesh!t for quotes.

I took english at a cc with an awesome prof and she told us NEVER to use a quote in your introduction b/c it's one of the corniest things you can do.

Exactly - Use it if you're in High School.

Otherwise in University it's as original as stating you want to become a doctor so you can 'help' people. It just feels like you were stuck and you needed a filler.

Btw, how long is your thesis supposed to be? I had a 22,000 word thesis on the Russian revolution last year. Sh*t nearly killed.

Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo Magic
    Exactly - Use it if you're in High School.

Otherwise in University it's as original as stating you want to become a doctor so you can 'help' people. It just feels like you were stuck and you needed a filler.

Btw, how long is your thesis supposed to be? I had a 22,000 word thesis on the Russian revolution last year. Sh*t nearly killed.
    It's a 4 page paper so I need a good thesis to base my paper off of.