Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I usually hit open layups Spec5ial5k5's Avatar

Default Re: Becoming A Single Leg Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    I'm think your thigh muscles are more important than your calf muscles. I remember reading somewhere that your calf muscles give 30% while your thighs give 60-65% or something like that.
    yea the aritcles right here
    http://www.verticalleapsecrets.net/m...ical-jump.html
    and OP doing 10 sets of 30 is training jumping endurance not explosion its like a sprinter training by running 5 miles a day. Do about 8 reps and heavy weights. but remeber ballhandling and shooting come first without them jumping high does nothing
    Last edited by Spec5ial5k5; 10-06-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec5ial5k5
    yea the aritcles right here
    http://www.verticalleapsecrets.net/m...ical-jump.html
    and OP doing 10 sets of 30 is training jumping endurance not explosion its like a sprinter training by running 5 miles a day. Do about 8 reps and heavy weights. but remeber ballhandling and shooting come first without them jumping high does nothing
    Yea I started going to the weight room again today. I did leg press, calve raises and hamstring curls. Really my workout is to just JUMP daily. 3 sets of 25 jumps without arm swing another 3 sets of 25 with arm swing and tucking knees in, then ankle jumps and im trying to figure out how to do backflips without seriously injuring myself. Add this with weight training and I hopefully should be dunking soon.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    Yea I started going to the weight room again today. I did leg press, calve raises and hamstring curls. Really my workout is to just JUMP daily. 3 sets of 25 jumps without arm swing another 3 sets of 25 with arm swing and tucking knees in, then ankle jumps and im trying to figure out how to do backflips without seriously injuring myself. Add this with weight training and I hopefully should be dunking soon.
    Also don't forget trying to dunk daily. I promise I'm not being facitious when I say that one of the secrets to dunking is trying to dunk. A lot.

2day I went to the foot doctor and I was diagnosed with foot tendonitis. I had lost the arch in my left foot and became flat footed there. So the doctor wrapped it up and said I would get arch support if the wrap does its job. So far the wrap is doing good and I get up higher off 2 feet. I could have sworn I almost dunked 2 hands 2day.

Hey fellas I thought this might help out:

Whether you are a strong 1 or 2 leg jumper you can practice focusing on specific aspects to improve one type or the other. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. If you are a 2 foot jumper you may want to try doing many of the exercises off one foot. Even the resistance training can be done with one foot. The great thing about training with one foot is that the gains will still transfer to 2 foot jumping.
    2. Most people favor a jumping style (1 or 2 foot) and because they practice that specific type of jumping form they are strengthening and improving it always while the other type of jumping suffers. The same happens when we are better at jumping off left or right foot. The increased coordination and strengthened neural paths play a huge role in power development of your vertical. I would practice jumping in the type of form you want to improve very often. Doing the act repetitively (daily) induces what is called

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

[QUOTE=jacobwh]Hey fellas I thought this might help out:

Whether you are a strong 1 or 2 leg jumper you can practice focusing on specific aspects to improve one type or the other. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. If you are a 2 foot jumper you may want to try doing many of the exercises off one foot. Even the resistance training can be done with one foot. The great thing about training with one foot is that the gains will still transfer to 2 foot jumping.
    2. Most people favor a jumping style (1 or 2 foot) and because they practice that specific type of jumping form they are strengthening and improving it always while the other type of jumping suffers. The same happens when we are better at jumping off left or right foot. The increased coordination and strengthened neural paths play a huge role in power development of your vertical. I would practice jumping in the type of form you want to improve very often. Doing the act repetitively (daily) induces what is called

Hey great to hear from you! Glad you are making progress, keep me updated!

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Oh my gosh! It's Jacob! Subscribed to you on YouTube, and I emailed you a few months back (also subscribed to the JumpManual newsletter). Thanks to your vids, I'm just a few inches away from grabbing rim! Well, just grabbing rim. Actually dunking it will take some more...
    Yes, I think you pointed me toward his videos as well. They were very educational and exactly what I was looking for (a technical approach to how I could specifically improve my dunking skills). I'm thankful for all the time and effort put in to spread this knowledge.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacobwh
    Hey great to hear from you! Glad you are making progress, keep me updated!
    Sure thing.

[QUOTE=jacobwh]Hey fellas I thought this might help out:

right now my problem is my knees and shins. I used to be a 1 footed jumper before I started to do strength training, then became a 2 foot jumper. I never used to have any pain when I jumped off 1 foot, but now after a couple reps my knees feel sore, shins might start hurting... it sucks. From my experience I could stretch further when I jumped off 1 so now with my vertical quite a bit higher than it used to be it would be really helpful. I have been doing 1 legged exercises via the VJB for the past 6 weeks... but at the same time my knees haven't felt that great since I've started so I don't think I am going to see any gains until I finish the program and my knees heal up completely.