Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Scottie Pippen's modern day equivelent?

Round you still didn't prove how pip is better then Durant.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

The amazing thing is he did all that while playing legendary defense. He became the only perimeter player in history to lead the league in defensive rating that year. The Bulls had the #2 defense in the league that year--even after losing Horace Grant. This was because Pippen had one of the best defensive seasons ever in 95'. It isn't as if Will Perdue and Kukoc were intimidating in the paint. It was Pip's perimeter havoc that was the main reason for it.

Yeah, I think the two players most like him today are Lebron and Iggy. Great point on his scoring. People compare it at face value while ignoring that he played the de facto PG role on his Chicago teams (and actual PG in Portland in 2002 and 2003). His primary job was to pass, not shoot. People take this into account for official PG's so why not with Pippen?

I'll check it out. He did develop a solid three point shot from 94' onward. He was never great but he was good enough to be a threat from there. There was nothing that he could not do. Add to this his perfect height, which allowed him to play and guard 4 positions and his speed which allowed him to keep up with speedy guards and you have an amazing player. This stuff does not show up on the stat sheet.

How do you know Harper would have scored those additional two points?
    He wouldn't have to. He was more of a threat than Myers. That could have led to someone else scoring 2 more.

You are claiming that a man who averages numbers similar to a D-Leaguer and who apparently cannot make an impact in a playoff game was going to be the last piece for a second round team to make the Finals and win a championship?
    Since when does 11=7? Harper averaged 11 ppg in the 94' playoffs. You are cherry picking a bad series for him. There you go. 11 ppg in the playoffs (that means something like 13 outside the Bulls series). That sure would help against Indiana and Houston!

If Harper was out for the entire series you would have somewhat of a point (although Harper screwing himself is hardly the same as one of the worst foul calls ever--and according to ESPN viewers the worst call in NBA history) but @ him being the difference in Game 4 and in Game 3 the Knicks played better without him.

All we know is New York won.
    Obviously but it was not a normal situation with the freak call as MJ fans make it out to be. They were not a run-of-the-mill second round team. That series has an asterik around it.

No one is talking about KD in this thread other than you?

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Top 3-4 all-time is "not very good"? In what world? I agree, though, Kareem, Wilt, and Russell have NO cases over Jordan. I heard it on ESPn.
    ESPN slobs EVERY great player. They don't make an exception for Jordan's case. You act like they have an agenda to make MJ the GOAT ... Why? He doesn't make a case for himself anyway? Jordan's perfect storm of individual dominance as a GUARD (both ends of the floor), team success, individual achievments, influence on the league I think makes the case for itself that he's a top two player by virtually ANYONE's standards. And in terms of actual players, I wouldn't take any one of those players over Jordan when building a team. I think Jordan has a resume that's more impressive than those three CENTERS in terms of his case for GOAT.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Durant is a better scorer, but from an overall standpoint? Pip is just as good of a rebounder, in his prime (when healthy), just as an efficient scorer, better passer and 5x the defender KD is. Durant is still young man.

Very good NBA starter

The amazing thing is he did all that while playing legendary defense. He became the only perimeter player in history to lead the league in defensive rating that year. The Bulls had the #2 defense in the league that year--even after losing Horace Grant. This was because Pippen had one of the best defensive seasons ever in 95'. It isn't as if Will Perdue and Kukoc were intimidating in the paint. It was Pip's perimeter havoc that was the main reason for it.

Yeah, I think the two players most like him today are Lebron and Iggy. Great point on his scoring. People compare it at face value while ignoring that he played the de facto PG role on his Chicago teams (and actual PG in Portland in 2002 and 2003). His primary job was to pass, not shoot. People take this into account for official PG's so why not with Pippen?

I'll check it out. He did develop a solid three point shot from 94' onward. He was never great but he was good enough to be a threat from there. There was nothing that he could not do. Add to this his perfect height, which allowed him to play and guard 4 positions and his speed which allowed him to keep up with speedy guards and you have an amazing player. This stuff does not show up on the stat sheet.

He wouldn't have to. He was more of a threat than Myers. That could have led to someone else scoring 2 more.

Since when does 11=7? Harper averaged 11 ppg in the 94' playoffs. You are cherry picking a bad series for him. There you go. 11 ppg in the playoffs (that means something like 13 outside the Bulls series). That sure would help against Indiana and Houston!

If Harper was out for the entire series you would have somewhat of a point (although Harper screwing himself is hardly the same as one of the worst foul calls ever--and according to ESPN viewers the worst call in NBA history) but @ him being the difference in Game 4 and in Game 3 the Knicks played better without him.

Obviously but it was not a normal situation with the freak call as MJ fans make it out to be. They were not a run-of-the-mill second round team. That series has an asterik around it.

No one is talking about KD in this thread other than you?
    You can;t prove shit thats why you not respondng. Like i said before He isn't top 5 owned.

Anyways Alot of series has asterik. Magic was injured in 89. Does that mean the pistons cheated??Isiah was injured in 88?? GTFO with this BS. U don't want to count it because of a fight??? Your a dumb troll who overrates Pippen and drops MJ every few months. Pippen is robin and nting more. Mj,Hakeem,Shaq,KAJ, etc.. are batman

ESPN slobs EVERY great player.
    Timing matters. When is the last time you heard Wilt or Russell mentioned on ESPn? Kareem only gets mentioned when he gets cancer. Jordan was recent; he lives on in our memories. The others are historical figures.

think makes the case for itself that he's a top two player by virtually ANYONE's standards.
    Why are you quibbling over top 2 or top 3-4?

And in terms of actual players, I wouldn't take any one of those players over Jordan when building a team.
    I would take Jordan over Wilt and Jordan over Russell. The only guy I would draft over MJ is Kareem.

The Russell thing is hard to assess because he doesn't have the flash or scoring that other top-tier greats have but the guy won everywhere he went--even with teams that did nothing before him and did nothing after he left. Jordan is the better player but Russell's can't be summarily dismissed. He had something special about him.

Look at who I am comparing MJ to. I am in the ballpark with him. It isn't as if I am saying David Robinson>>>Jordan and Chris Webber=Jordan.

Durant is a better scorer, but from an overall standpoint? Pip is just as good of a rebounder, in his prime (when healthy), just as an efficient scorer, better passer and 5x the defender KD is. Durant is still young man.
    Good points. I would say Pippen was a better rebounder than Durant at this point. Pippen was vying for top 20 in rebounding at his peak. How many SF's do that? The other top Sf's actually averaged 5-6 boards in 94' (Wilkins, Mullin, Schrempf, Mashburn) to Pip's 9. Durant may wind up being better--he probably will--but peak Pippen>third year Durant. For some reason juju is obsessed with this because I once said peak Pippen would be a top 5 player if he played today.

Pippen is robin and nting more.
    Call me up when KD leads a team to the playoffs. What a "superman" he has been thus far!
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 02-10-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Banned

scottie pippen stirs up the most sh*t on this site i swear, pretty funny

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Durant is the way better scorer. Durant defense has improved which is why the Thunder defensive stats have increase arcoss the board. LOL He said if Pip was playing now he would be better then Durant. He might be better at being 2nd fiddle

Decent college freshman

I would take Jordan over Wilt and Jordan over Russell. The only guy I would draft over MJ is Kareem.

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Durant is the way better scorer. Durant defense has improved which is why the Thunder defensive stats have increase arcoss the board. LOL He said if Pip was playing now he would be better then Durant. He might be better at being 2nd fiddle
    Pippen was a top 10 player during the 90's. During that particular decade, do you believe Durant would of been "top 10"?

Very good NBA starter

Timing matters. When is the last time you heard Wilt or Russell mentioned on ESPn? Kareem only gets mentioned when he gets cancer. Jordan was recent; he lives on in our memories. The others are historical figures.

Why are you quibbling over top 2 or top 3-4?

The Russell thing is hard to assess because he doesn't have the flash or scoring that other top-tier greats have but the guy won everywhere he went--even with teams that did nothing before him and did nothing after he left. Jordan is the better player but Russell's can't be summarily dismissed. He had something special about him.

Look at who I am comparing MJ to. I am in the ballpark with him. It isn't as if I am saying David Robinson>>>Jordan and Chris Webber=Jordan.

Good points. I would say Pippen was a better rebounder than Durant at this point. Pippen was vying for top 20 in rebounding at his peak. How many SF's do that? The other top Sf's actually averaged 5-6 boards in 94' (Wilkins, Mullin, Schrempf, Mashburn) to Pip's 9
    LOL Your a tool round. MJ is the clear Goat imo. The combination of everything he has can't be matched.

Root Of All Evil

The only guy I would draft over MJ is Kareem.
    Why?

What makes Kareem significantly the easier choice over Jordan?

Because Jordan won as MUCH, while being the CLEAR cut best player on his team EVERY season ... where as Kareem doesn't even have that leg to stand on in terms of all of his team success.

I even think Jordan brings more to the game individually than what you can do with Kareem.

Jordan can do ANYTHING on the court. The same can't be said for Kareem.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Pippen was a top 10 player during the 90's. During that particular decade, do you believe Durant would of been "top 10"?
    yeah, why not. I am sure you think KB would be a top 10 player playing back then in his prime right??Durant is not even close to his prime either. He is a 6'10 dirk who can dribble good and get to the basket.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Wilt Chamberlain the amazing herculean alien from outer space who can bench 550+ lbs with one arm, could jump and dunk off one step from the top of the key!!! and bang 25,000 women, score 100 points against midgets, average 50 ppg for a season and only win 2 championship rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    ?

The combination of everything he has can't be matched.
    I said that. He clearly has the best resume.

What makes Kareem significantly the easier choice over Jordan?
    He isn't a significantly easy choice. I would just take him simply because when in doubt you always go with the dominant center over the dominant wing.

Yeah, Kareem's team success as "the man" pales in comparisons to Jordan's but he didn't have the teams behind him that Jordan did in his prime. Kareem played with 0 all-stars from 1973-1979 and he never played with a PF who grabbed 10 boards a game.

Jordan can do ANYTHING on the court. The same can't be said for Kareem.
    That is a legit point.

yeah, why not. I am sure you think KB would be a top 10 player playing back then in his prime right??
    Why are you comparing KD to KB now? Durant is not top 5 today according to most people. He surely will be next season barring injury but we are talkjing about today. Durant is 6th or 7th this year. You are talking as if he were Wade.

1) Lebron

2) Wade
    3) Kobe

4) Carmelo
    5) Paul

Dirk and Durant are about the same right now imo for 6th-7th. Be patient. Durant has a chance to be WAY up there when he retires.