Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Tracy Mcgrady BEFORE THE INJURIES was the best PURE SCORER the league has ever seen

Technically, you could make the case that in 2002 he was the most complete ever, but that's just because guys didn't take a lot of threes until this decade. Regardless, MJ was better, look at his efficiency versus TMac's - even in McGrady's career year, MJ was more efficient (and i say this as a huge McGrady fan and someone who hasn't cared much about MJ since 1998).

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Default Re: Tracy Mcgrady BEFORE THE INJURIES was the best PURE SCORER the league has ever se

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Not even of this decade
    He said best scorer, not most overrated.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Tracy Mcgrady BEFORE THE INJURIES was the best PURE SCORER the league has ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    I always thought Tmac's greatest strength was his passing combined with his being 6'8 with length but with agility and handles like a point guard. I think he's a top 5 passer in the league today, still. That he could reel off 30 point nights like it was nothing was just a bonus. If his team hadn't been so bereft of scoring he would have been a triple double every night guy.

He's also one of the most well-spoken NBA players ever. It's a real pleasure to listen to him talk. And I hardly say this about anyone, much less athletes. He's a better speaker than 98% of Congress.
    I don't know whats worse. Current TMac as a top 5 passer in the league today or '03 TMac as the best pure scorer ever? Definitely debatable.

I love tmac and he was right there with A.I and kobe in scoring during the first half of the decade. but him being the best pure scorer isn't true man.

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    One of the best. Prime McGrady was a better scorer then Kobe.
    meh. Prime McGrady was better than 2003 Kobe. Lets not act like McGrady was putting up 35ppg in his prime.

Hell, I'll put that guy on your Avy over prime Tmac

Blazed22
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Can someone tell me what the hell the difference is between a pure scorer and just a scorer? Seriously.

I don't know about the best pure scorer but he made it looks easier than anyone ever imo. Pure silk. He was like Kobe but taller. Kobe didn't get that smooth until the year of his 2nd three-peat. kI remember T-Mac outshining LeBron a lot of the times they played back when he was healthy.

Ya'll musta forgot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNhgbzKkTw
    The dunk @ 27 sec....oh my God....
    Look at the move @ 1:21. He lays it up on the OTHER SIDE of the rim from THERE.

This is my favorite game by T-Mac. You HAVE to be kidding me with that 360 reverse layup!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYnsk...eature=related
    Last edited by lefthook00; 06-23-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Gervin certainly shoots holes in the OP's premise. Best 'pure scorer I ever saw in person in their prime. I watched him drop something like 44 on the Lakers showtime crew. Made it look like he could do it in his sleep.

Another 'pre-injury' scoring machine was Bob McAdoo. Besides Shaq, he is the only other player in the last 35 years to lead the league in scoring and FG% in the same year (30.6ppg @ .547%) and in his spare time on the floor that year averaged 15.1 rebounds.

The next year he averaged 34.5ppg @ .512% (not to mention 14.1 boards). T-Mac never really came close to that, especially the FG%.

Banned

He was pretty amazing. I've never seen a guy hit pull up threes so easily. He was also a very good defender early on. During his Toronto days, he was actually known mostly for his great defensive play.
    I don't know if hes THE best. Hes up there with AI and Kobe though.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    He was pretty amazing. I've never seen a guy hit pull up threes so easily. He was also a very good defender early on. During his Toronto days, he was actually known mostly for his great defensive play.
    I don't know if hes THE best. Hes up there with AI and Kobe though.
    Yeah he was so disrespectful when he was younger. No pump fakes, none of that. Dribble drive, pull up in your face and shoot over you and there wasn't sh*t you could do to block it. He was Kobe with LeBron's height and length(possibly even longer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ueY-JDUUg
    Kobe may be a more prolific scorer, but there isn't ONE MOVE that he could do that T-Mac couldn't just as well.
    Last edited by lefthook00; 06-23-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lefthook00
    Yeah he was so disrespectful. No pump fakes, none of that. Dribble drive, pull up in your face and shoot over you and there wasn't sh*t you could do to block it. He was Kobe with LeBron's height and length(possibly even longer).
    Yeah, he had freakishly long arms, and thats why his jumper was so good, and why he was so good at blocking shots. He was quick, but not terribly fast, and not THAT great of a leaper. He was basically built like the perfect swingman. 6-7 freakishly and freakishly long with huge hands.

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Tracy Mcgrady BEFORE THE INJURIES was the best PURE SCORER the league has ever se

T-Mac in 2003 was definitely a better scorer than Iverson ever was. I mean because of his size and shooting range, he could beat you in more ways than Iverson and he was far more efficient.

I can't compare perimeter scorers and scoring big men so I won't even try. But the only guys on the perimeter I could definitely say were better scorers than 2003 T-Mac were Jordan and Kobe in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 after Kobe was given the green light later in the season. I'd have to see more George Gervin footage before I could judge. Though people forget that for a short stretch T-Mac was the best swingman in the league and his 2003 season is one of the greatest a SG/SF has ever had.

Banned

I'd agree that he was a better scorer, but AI had more ways to beat you, even though he usually had trouble getting his shot off against most players. His FG% is basically just because of his heigth, and even then he still got up to what Kobe has some years.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    I'd agree that he was a better scorer, but AI had more ways to beat you, even though he usually had trouble getting his shot off against most players. His FG% is basically just because of his heigth, and even then he still got up to what Kobe has some years.
    I disagree, T-Mac could finish strong over the top of big men much easier, he was a much better 3 point shooter who could beat you from well beyond the 3 point line when he was hot and he could post up a bit, something Iverson couldn't do. McGrady also had amazing ball handling skills, Iverson was a great ball handler as well, but McGrady's skills and length were extremely rare.

Prime Allen Iverson could create off the dribble or come off screens, people forget that he played off the ball a fair amount during the Larry Brown era and Iverson was a streaky jump shooter who could get hot, more often on mid-range shots, though. He as great at getting to the foul line or finishing with floaters and of course we saw him get up there and dunk on a few guys, but the latter wasn't a regular thing for Iverson like it was for T-Mac.

Again, I'd say T-Mac's shooting range and size made him a more versatile scorer who could beat you in more different ways. Don't forget that T-Mac was an excellent shooter off the dribble from anywhere on the court, but he could also play off the ball and was good at catching and shooting as well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I disagree, T-Mac could finish strong over the top of big men much easier, he was a much better 3 point shooter who could beat you from well beyond the 3 point line when he was hot and he could post up a bit, something Iverson couldn't do. McGrady also had amazing ball handling skills, Iverson was a great ball handler as well, but McGrady's skills and length were extremely rare.

Prime Allen Iverson could create off the dribble or come off screens, people forget that he played off the ball a fair amount during the Larry Brown era and Iverson was a streaky jump shooter who could get hot, more often on mid-range shots, though. He as great at getting to the foul line or finishing with floaters and of course we saw him get up there and dunk on a few guys, but the latter wasn't a regular thing for Iverson like it was for T-Mac.

Again, I'd say T-Mac's shooting range and size made him a more versatile scorer who could beat you in more different ways. Don't forget that T-Mac was an excellent shooter off the dribble from anywhere on the court, but he could also play off the ball and was good at catching and shooting as well.
    Well I was saying if you ignore size, then AI is the more skilled scorer. Like you said, he could come off the ball, he was a good shooter, he was better at getting to the rim because of his handles, and he got out on the break more then almost anyone. TMac could post, and had better 3pt range, and was a much better finisher, just because of his size but I don't think he was more skilled scorer.