Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Good High School Starter

Default Re: Micheal Jordan in todays league

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    We're not assuming that he's playing in the triangle, where his apg numbers were depressed, or playing alongside another 6+ apg player (Pippen) like he did. Also, the reality of today's defenses and star-centric offenses is that many times the defense forces you to create for others. Lastly, regarding rebounding, there are far fewer elite rebounders today than there were in MJ's day, and less size/skill inside the lane at the PF and especially the C positions. Jordan also played with far more rebounding talent than Lebron did, and still regularly put up ~6.5 rpg. I should also note that, despite my post here, I only originally claimed 6.5 reb/6+ ast for MJ, not 7+/7+ (however, see below for a caveat).

I'm also assuming that he plays the same style he did back then (i.e., is no more ball dominant than he was). If he played a Lebron/Wade style ball dominant role, his numbers would be astronomical (32 pts/7 reb/9 ast minimum).
    his rebounds would increase with a more ball dominant role?
    what the phuck are you smoking?

+5 ppg min.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
    his rebounds would increase with a more ball dominant role?
    what the phuck are you smoking?
    No, as I said:

Lastly, regarding rebounding, there are far fewer elite rebounders today than there were in MJ's day, and less size/skill inside the lane at the PF and especially the C positions. Jordan also played with far more rebounding talent than Lebron did, and still regularly put up ~6.5 rpg
    Learn to read.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

I watched like 50+ regular season games a season of the Wizards when Jordan was on that team. It was so amazing watching a 37-40 year old Jordan school people like that. I love how he carried a scrub team to the playoffs and made everyone around him even better. I loved his squad with Popeye, Laettner, Rip Hamilton, Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, Tyrone Lue and Stack. Very memorable group. Plus those 40 and 50 point games at that age were . It was also awesome because players would try to take it easy on him out of respect of his legend.. and he would talk trash and go hard at them anyways and drop 30. There will never be another Jordan.

The thing that REALLY separates Jordan from every other player in NBA history if you look closely is WHEN he dominated. All of Jordan's best games were against rivals, in important games (playoffs for example) or in statement games. They were never out of the blue against bad teams like Kobe's 81 against the Raptors. I mean even look at Jordan's return to Cleveland when he played for the Wizards. He burns that team up and then hits the game winner?? How vintage is that?

Michael was special because his best moments were the most important ones. The most dramatic ones. This is why when people try to say Wilt>Jordan etc... I shake my head. Jordan not only had sustained dominance but he always came through when it mattered most. On intangibles he's got every player in league history beat by a good margin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjo06...eature=related

Look at how pissed Marbury is after Michael hits the last game winner of his career .

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I watched like 50+ regular season games a season of the Wizards when Jordan was on that team. It was so amazing watching a 37-40 year old Jordan school people like that. I love how he carried a scrub team to the playoffs and made everyone around him even better. I loved his squad with Popeye, Laettner, Rip Hamilton, Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, Tyrone Lue and Stack. Very memorable group. Plus those 40 and 50 point games at that age were . It was also awesome because players would try to take it easy on him out of respect of his legend.. and he would talk trash and go hard at them anyways and drop 30. There will never be another Jordan.
    He didn't make the playoffs with that team. I agree wholeheartedly though, he was playing like he was as good as most of these stars are when they reach 33 or 34 years old. I suppose a huge advantage of it though was taking seasons off.
    Last edited by Dave3; 09-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    He didn't make the playoffs with that team. I agree wholeheartedly though, he was playing like he was as good as most of these stars are when they reach 33 or 34 years old. I suppose a huge advantage of it though was taking seasons off.
    Ah damnit. I could of sworn they made it once, but you are right. Either way the rest of what I said stands true. The awesome thing was him getting a standing ovation at the end of every last visit to an opposing teams arena in his final season. Doubt another player will ever again effect opposing fans/teams like that. I mean his game winner in Cleveland "The shot 3" the entire Cleveland crowd burst into cheers as if it was their own player. Funny thing is a few opposing players got mad like Allen Iverson because of how much attention Jordan got in their arena. Did you know in his first season back he was one of 2 players averaging 25, 5 and 5 in the NBA before the all star game? I find that really amazing for a 38 year old!

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Ah damnit. I could of sworn they made it once, but you are right. Either way the rest of what I said stands true. The awesome thing was him getting a standing ovation at the end of every last visit to an opposing teams arena in his final season. Doubt another player will ever again effect opposing fans/teams like that. I mean his game winner in Cleveland "The shot 3" the entire Cleveland crowd burst into cheers as if it was their own player. Funny thing is a few opposing players got mad like Allen Iverson because of how much attention Jordan got in their arena. Did you know in his first season back he was one of 2 players averaging 25, 5 and 5 in the NBA before the all star game? I find that really amazing for a 38 year old!
    38-39 years old version schooled prime Garnett, so its scary what would happen if a prime Jordan in today's league.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmngcHYnfN0

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    38-39 years old version schooled prime Garnett, so its scary what would happen if a prime Jordan in today's league.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmngcHYnfN0

Jordan would be shitting on the league the same as he did back then. Maybe worse.

36.8 ppg
    6.7 rpg
    5.8 apg
    2.3 spg
    1.2 bpg
    3.1 tov
    2.8 pf
    51.8 fg%
    85.1 ft%
    31.1 3pt%
    59.2 TS%
    53.5 eFG%
    39.5 mpg

NBA rookie of the year

Jordan (circa 1996) on the current Bulls would be interesting.

C- Noah
    PF- Boozer
    SF- Deng
    SG- Jordan
    PG- Rose

That's a championship team. Might even be slightly better offensively than the actual '96 Bulls (not defensively though Noah > Longley, and while Deng is no Pippen, he's no slouch either, Boozer is the weak link).

I don't think he'd aim for 36 ppg or anything crazy like that though.

Keep it steady at 31-32 ppg, Rose would probably have to distribute more though.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 09-22-2011 at 06:30 AM.