Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Default Re: Just forced myself to watch Casablanca...

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Sorry, not trying to argue. I meant favorite as well. Have you seen both?
    No apologies needed. I have seen Vertigo, and I know it's good. I just named one of my favorite oldies off the top of my head.

I would also list Paths of Glory (1957) as one of my top pre-1960 films.

Also can't forget All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).
    Last edited by FatComputerNerd; 04-09-2012 at 10:03 PM.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Hmm, lol. Maybe I remember it being better than it actually was. Guilty pleasure from my childhood I guess.
    LOl it's cool.

I remember it vividly cause I just saw it 4 years ago. My fianc

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    but I'm not going to pretend like it would be an Oscar winner if it were released today...lol
    Are you fu[color=black]cking[/color] retarded?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    Are you fu[color=black]cking[/color] retarded?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    No apologies needed. I have seen Vertigo, and I know it's good. I just named one of my favorite oldies off the top of my head.

I would also list Paths of Glory (1957) as one of my top pre-1960 films.

Also can't forget All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).
    If you haven't seen them, From Here To Eternity, Double Indemnity, All About Eve, North By Northwest, Anastasia and Grand Hotel are some other really good oldies.

You have to look at Casablancas influence...and its a far better film than anything the OP's country has likely produced

NBA Superstar

I was okay with Casablanca. I watched that and Gone With the Wind for the first time within a week of each other last year. I much preferred the former.

rank sentamentalist

i just saw Gone With the Wind a few weeks ago for the first time and i was blown away. i expected to be entertained but a bit disappointed. it went way beyond that. one of the best movies i've ever seen... though i doubt i'll be sitting through it again any time soon.

Casablanca doesn't even hold a candle to it imo

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i just saw Gone With the Wind a few weeks ago for the first time and i was blown away. i expected to be entertained but a bit disappointed. it went way beyond that. one of the best movies i've ever seen... though i doubt i'll be sitting through it again any time soon.

Casablanca doesn't even hold a candle to it imo
    In the interest of full disclosure, I watched Gone With the Wind on double VHS, in small increments over the course of an entire week or more. I'm thinking that could have severely affected my feelings on the film.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    In the interest of full disclosure, I watched Gone With the Wind on double VHS, in small increments over the course of an entire week or more. I'm thinking that could have severely affected my feelings on the film.
    err... yeah. definitely. lol

though i don't blame you, i probably still wouldn't have finished it had i started it at home. i caught it at a theater with just a wee intermission in the middle... patience is always easier in the presence of a whole host of people. and if you pay i suppose.

splitting it up like that, you still get to witness all the epic scenes and civil war events, and there's some great dialogue sprinkled throughout. but it makes it a lot harder to key in on the real strengths, the intertwined character narratives and the ups and downs of their relationships with one another, always in relation to the war. the journey of scarlett o'hara is one of the greatest ever told on screen imo.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    This movie is so good that I went out and bought the 4k release last week. The 70th anniversary edition is worth the money.

The great thing about movies like Casablanca is the dialogue and the music. There are no throw away lines. All the dialogue is excellent. The lines you have to wait to hear in most modern movies are lines a person with a bit part gets in this movie.

It's kind of sad to me when someone can watch Casablanca and not understand why it is considered one of the best movies ever made.
    Yeah, this is it. It's written like a short story where you have to listen to every line. It's glamour is that the movie has a style in delivering the lines and has that musical backdrop to make them work. The movie had a lot of catch lines that was popular for the next 50 years. I imagine it was the first movie to really use irony, sarcasm and wit to move its plot and create tension - tho this is guess work - talking movies were still in its baby stages at this time. The movie has style and grace which is not easy to pull off. The Matrix stood out in part because it had this quality.

The director knew how to transition from soft shots to a new cold reality. When the movie didn't move thru the lines of its characters it used facial expressions and stories to guide you. It was a well concieved movie. Too dated in the style of yesteryear but a great study of film making and early American culture.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Casablanca and Citizen Kane are the two most overrated movies ever.

I've never seen "Gone with the Wind", but Jesus Christ, is that flick really four hours? What the hell? Am I supposed to dedicated a whole day to watching that? Psh.

If a movie is genuinely good, it stays good, Hitchcock, Bunuel, Kubrick's films are masterpieces forever cause they are products of an original approach to film making and were carefully created by brilliant minds.

I'm not really a fan of older older movies (I haven't watched many), but Gone With the Wind was/is an amazing film.

I have seen Casablanca as well, and I didn't enjoy it much. But like I said, I'm far from a movie critic.