Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Will Rondo ever be exposed?

I will first say you can't deny what Rondo has accomplished. He has put up some all time great playoff game performances, and he has a really good IQ. He is also pretty flashy and exciting to watch and plays hardnosed D.

What he can't do is shoot to save his life. Even Austin Rivers in 9th grade beat him in shooting competitions.

I have always been under the impression that Rondo's game benefits immensley from playing with 3 HOFers, 2 of them are all time great long distance shooters, Kevin Garnett has one of the best midrange shots of all time too.

Rondo's performances for Team USA prove this to me, quite frankly he isn't very good for team USA, apart from Durant there aren't alot of pure knockdown shooters on the team and Rondo seems to suffer from it.

It is my belief that when KG and Pierce retire, and Rondo is left leading the team, he will suddenly start to look very average. The key will be clogged and Rondo will not have the space he is used to. Because he has the worst jumpshot in the league for a player of his position, I don't think Rondo will be able to adjust.

So do you think Rondo has been capitolizing off of his elite teammates, or will he look like the same elite allstar PG able to penetrate at will even after his teammates go?

Local High School Star cavsfanatic's Avatar

Default Re: Will Rondo ever be exposed?

Rondo was beating The Lebron Cavs by himself in some games. Rondo is unstoppable getting to the rim. you seen the game against Miami when his jumper was on and he dropped what? 44? Pierce, Allen, and KG did not show up that game so Rondo had to do it himself. Rondo is a monster and I love watching him play

When you do everything else so well, shooting becomes a small part of basketball, especially when you can make a high percentage of your shots regardless.

Rondo is currently better than Steve Nash and Steph Curry and Austin Rivers.

You suck as a basketball analyst.

Good High School Starter Miller for 3's Avatar

Yes Rondo will have so flukey scoring games because no one guards him. Is scoring 44 points( with two fluke 3s in the last seconds that were meaningless) with no one guarding you really something to brag about? 48 minutes of open gym and you only get 44 is pathetic.

Rondo has gotten exposed by the non casual fans. He is the Celtics 3rd best player at best, maybe 4th now that Terry is there. He leads the Celtics to crap offenses, and they dont miss a beat when he is off the court. KG is far and away their MVP. When he retires it will be the end of Celtics basketball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3
    Yes Rondo will have so flukey scoring games because no one guards him. Is scoring 44 points( with two fluke 3s in the last seconds that were meaningless) with no one guarding you really something to brag about? 48 minutes of open gym and you only get 44 is pathetic.

Rondo has gotten exposed by the non casual fans. He is the Celtics 3rd best player at best, maybe 4th now that Terry is there. He leads the Celtics to crap offenses, and they dont miss a beat when he is off the court. KG is far and away their MVP. When he retires it will be the end of Celtics basketball
    Exactly, the way I see it, no one even guards him so he should be able to get to the rim at will. Unlike Tony Parker who is an elite finisher, Rondo is just a slightly above average finisher so sagging massively off Rondo isn't that bad.

I lost alot of respect for Rondo after seeing Kobe shut him down by giving him 15 feet of space. If you can't punish a player when he gives you 15 feet of space, you aren't the star you are made out to be. The games where Rondo goes off, from what I've seen are mostly when defenses focus everything on shutting down the big 3.

He is smart, so is able to exploit bad that against bad coaches and dumb defenders. But he is playing with 3 of the best shooters in the league, one of whom is top 3 alltime great shooter ATLEAST. I think even Mario Chalmers would be able to become an allstar playing with those 3.

If you get shut down when players give you 15 feet of space, you aren't elite in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller for 3

You might need to revisit his playoff performances if you think that game was flukey.

He shoots a percentage that guys like Steph Curry will NEVER see.

Your Rondo hate is apparently clear here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Exactly, the way I see it, no one even guards him so he should be able to get to the rim at will. Unlike Tony Parker who is an elite finisher, Rondo is just a slightly above average finisher so sagging massively off Rondo isn't that bad.

I lost alot of respect for Rondo after seeing Kobe shut him down by giving him 15 feet of space. If you can't punish a player when he gives you 15 feet of space, you aren't the star you are made out to be. The games where Rondo goes off, from what I've seen are mostly when defenses focus everything on shutting down the big 3.

If you get shut down when players give you 15 feet of space, you aren't elite in my book.
    If people sag off you it is Harder to get to the rim not easier, you moron. You obviously have never played ball....youre too enamored with shooting. Rondo is a champion, plain and simple. Terry is his superior? Now you're reall hating.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

yeah by jrue holiday tonight.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    You might need to revisit his playoff performances if you think that game was flukey.

He shoots a percentage that guys like Steph Curry will NEVER see.

Your Rondo hate is apparently clear here.
    Stop looking at stats. He shoots a percentage of wideopen shots that guys like Steph Curry will never see because the defense actually has to guard them.

When the game is on the line and defenses focus up, unlike Nash, unlike Rose, unlike Westbrook, unlike Curry, unlike Brandon Jennings, unlike guys like Monta Ellis even, Rondo will not be able to get himself a good shot.

Discussing Rondo seems to be a good way to find out who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about in terms of basketball.

Rondo is a top 10 player in this league. It is not arguable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    If people sag off you it is Harder to get to the rim not easier, you moron. You obviously have never played ball....youre too enamored with shooting. Rondo is a champion, plain and simple. Terry is his superior? Now you're reall hating.
    EXACTLY-and when Kobe sagged off him, Rondo could not get to the rim and didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL besides pass sideways to a heavily guarded KG, Ray or Pierce. I have seen other guards expose Rondo like this. He usually goes off against dumb guards like Jameer Nelson and dumb coaches like Stan Van Gundy who seemingly tell their players :"Double KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce every time they get the ball"

Rondo is so below average on Team USA when not surrounded by 3 all time great shooters, that's why I'm under the impression that his whole reputation is owed to them.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

He's going to be much better this year.

He's going to get to play at a higher tempo with guys like Lee,Terry,Green, KG at Center, and the rest of that ridiculous guard rotation.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

going by the 'plays with 3 all stars' logic, shouldn't chalmers be looking like MJ of late.

As long as he has his speed his shooting ability won't be taken advantage of.

I love how "non casual" fans think they know his game.

Here are some statements that are more likely true than a lot stated above.
    1. Aside from the 08 team, he hasn't extensively played with a lineup that suits him. Having good jumpshooters help his stats, but he works better with a balance of athletic guys who can cut and a couple of shooters. The Celtics have been terrible on fast breaks because Rondo has almost no one to run with him.
    2. His midrange is average, but he's still terrible at the line and he doesn't shoot 3s.
    3. He isn't aggressive as he should be, there are many instances were he runs a play for a teammate when he should just penetrate.
    4. Kobe did a good job on Rondo because he had two 7 footers deterring Rondo.