Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man The Real JW's Avatar

Default Re: Which Criterion Collection films on Blu-Ray would you recommend?

Being John Malkovich
    Bottle Rocket
    Che
    Dazed and Confused
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Rushmore
    Seven Samurai
    Traffic

bolded: personal all-time favorites

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Jurassic Park
    Die Hard
    There are mock Criterion Collection cover arts out there for these two films if they were included.

*Spielberg

'Clue' fake cover is cool

'The Hudsucker Proxy'

'The Wizard'

'Drive'

Criterion's I got from the B&N sale:

Badlands
    Belle de Jour
    Blow-Out
    Rashomon
    Repo Man
    The Wages of Fear

Criterions bought at a great discount with $30 in Best Buy Reward Zone certificates:

Amarcord
    Naked

Can't wait 'til November. Criterion gets better and better with the quality of their product.

I bought these from the sale:

The Game
    Tokyo Drifter
    The Samurai Trilogy
    Yojimbo & Sanjuro set

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    I bought these from the sale:

The Game
    Tokyo Drifter
    The Samurai Trilogy
    Yojimbo & Sanjuro set
    You interested in that Zatoichi boxset releasing in November?

All 25 films on 27 discs. I wonder what B&N's original price listing will be. They tend to start out $10 lower than the Criterion website, so it might originally be $169 and then go for $85 at the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    You interested in that Zatoichi boxset releasing in November?

All 25 films on 27 discs. I wonder what B&N's original price listing will be. They tend to start out $10 lower than the Criterion website, so it might originally be $169 and then go for $85 at the sale.
    Wow, hell yes, love Zatoichi, although I've probably only seen 2 or 3 of the movies.

Does the set include the Beat Takeshi Zatoichi movie too, or just the classics?

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Wow, hell yes, love Zatoichi, although I've probably only seen 2 or 3 of the movies.

Does the set include the Beat Takeshi Zatoichi movie too, or just the classics?
    Just the classics.

I had no idea 25 films were made or I had forgotten over the years. I think I have around 5 or 6 of the Animeigo releases on DVD.

If I'm right on my prediction for the B&N pricing, that comes out to $3.40 per film. Niceee.

I worry about picture quality of the transfers when it comes to that many discs though.

Barnes & Noble is doing a Buy 2, Get 1 Free Criterion Sale!

If the titles you buy are $29 and less, it's basically like doing another 50% off sale.

Don't know how long this sale will last... just found out about it today in case you're interested.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Barnes & Noble is doing a Buy 2, Get 1 Free Criterion Sale!

If the titles you buy are $29 and less, it's basically like doing another 50% off sale.

Don't know how long this sale will last... just found out about it today in case you're interested.
    They had the exact same sale right before the 50% off one. It's a solid deal, even with shipping + duties to me in Canada. I still end up saving a little bit of money.

I think all the Criterions I like I already have or are out of print though. I'm just waiting for City Lights to come out in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    They had the exact same sale right before the 50% off one. It's a solid deal, even with shipping + duties to me in Canada. I still end up saving a little bit of money.

I think all the Criterions I like I already have or are out of print though. I'm just waiting for City Lights to come out in November.
    If you're really diving into Criterions, I highly recommend Quadrophenia.

I wish some of the better domestic noir stuff was Criterion. There aren't many of my favorites besides Kiss Me Deadly and the Killing right now

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

I wonder if this sale will extend all the way 'til the November 50% off.

Before the July sale, I hadn't purchased a Criterion since waaay back on DeepDiscountDVD when they used to do their sales. I think my last purchase was even before the advent of Blu-Ray.

How often have you done blind buys with Criterion? I think it's worth the risk with the quality of films they put out.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    If you're really diving into Criterions, I highly recommend Quadrophenia.
    Ehhh, I collect movies but I'm not to the point where I'll blind buy simply due to the Criterion label. I've watched a few that I found were merely ok and that I'd probably never watch again. So not worth $20-40 for me. Download first, buy later for the ones I don't have.

How often have you done blind buys with Criterion? I think it's worth the risk with the quality of films they put out.
    8 1/2 was the only blind buy simply because I love those types of reality-bending movies. Then again, I own only 13 Criterion releases.
    Last edited by Qwyjibo; 08-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.