Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What percentage of ''great shooting'' is due to genetics/mental?

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    yes u can, the reason they arent in the nba is because they can only shoot while nba players can shoot rebound pass defend, and have size quickness etc

if u put them in an empty gym or what not their numbers are probably comparable
    Agreed.

Serious playground baller

I will break down shooting "genetics"

We see a lot of sports families. Great example is the Curry family.

A super experienced pro level shooter teaches his son at such a young age how to shoot. So by the time Steph is in 6th grade, he is already at a much higher level than other kids because he has learned the complex and subtle fundamentals that makes the difference between a good and great shooter.

When a person learns an ability, they absorb the information learned and perfect it on their own time. Another good example is the Mayweather family, Uncle and Pops taught young Floyd defensive techniques at such a young age, he had already mastered a 20 year boxer's knowledge on defense at a young age, so he had all that time to add onto that 20 year experience further and take it to the next level.

Genetics play a part in physical structure to a certain degree, but I don't think fundamentals such as passing shooting or handling the ball is so much genetics.

I think a lot of it has to do with genetics because if you aren't as big when you are younger, then developing an outside shot is helpful... or maybe you can't dribble all that well... or maybe you aren't comfortable driving or it takes too much effort, etc., etc. Or maybe you just really like to see the ball go in from distance. It's like with anything... why do we decide to put in the time specific work that we do on things?

I think circumstance is a more applicable term than genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    exactly 33.544 percent
    Wow I was thinking more like 1/3rd. Source?

-Smak