National High School Star

Default Thought on the Lakers

They are in an interesting position.

Julius has lost around 18 pounds and looks to be an absolute beast - at least for a re-rookie season. Dray has paved the way for that sort of play and if Julius can become a rebounding + push the ball ahead type sf/pf hybrid there is a lot to be said for what he can bring to the table.

Jordan Clarkson may have had the best ending 3 month span of any rookie last year. He averaged 13.8 ppg in February, 15.8 in March and an outstanding 19.4 in April (all months at above 45% shooting as well). Also, increased assists each of those months from 4.0, to 5.2 to 6.8 a game.

Then, there are proven/known assets in Jordan Hill, Wayne Ellington, Boozer, Ed Davis, Jeremy Lin, and Ronnie Price (and some other scrubs like Sacre).

Personally, I think that Boozer, Wesley Johnson, and Jeremy Lin are useless. I'd rather have Clarkson playing a lot of minutes and Ronnie Price as the backup. Lin is simply too turnover prone and combing that with Kobe, another turnover prone guy, is not the right template for a team that needs to build competence. If they could somehow get rid of those 3 to 5 guys on their team it'd go a long way toward their success.

I really liked Okafur's ability to be an apex player in an offense. He is calm and generally knows what to do. However, his defense was surprisingly poor. I was actually floored by how bad I thought he was defensively. It could just be a flaw of the tournament style and what he had to do but I thought his lateral reaction speed and intensity on the defensive end were pathetic.

From the looks of it, it seems almost a certainty they will take him though.

A starting lineup of:

Clarkson
    Kobe
    Randle
    Hill
    Okafur

would actually be pretty tough to stop. Kobe has shown his ability to work with centers and get them enough touches and let them score if they have the ability. Dwight was an anomaly because he was injured and just kept turning it over a ton.

It depends a lot on Randle's ability to play the three. Hill is pretty good at stretching the floor as a 4. From what I've seen the Lakers have very poor wing players and though this lineup may "seem clunky" it is a much better time investment than any other lineup they could put out there. At least size and athletic wise they should be able to out compete almost every team.

Defensively, Clarkson and Hill are pretty decent defenders. The backups of Johnson, Ellington, and Ed Davis are also pretty decently good defenders. For their sake, hopefully Booz cruise is not on their team because he is death to changing a culture. He talks a lot and influences teams because of his personality as much as his play.

On a semi related sidenote - Justise Winslow should be a top 4 pick. He is going to be a beast. If he gets enough touches he'll be ridiculously good anywhere he goes.

In summary, not making a trade would be in their best interest this summer. The draft is a rare level of good this upcoming year and they have 4 solid pieces (Clarkson, Randle, Hill, Davis) + Kobe to build upon for at least a year or two.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Thought on the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz

Julius has lost around 18 pounds and looks to be an absolute beast - at least for a re-rookie season. Dray has paved the way for that sort of play and if Julius can become a rebounding + push the ball ahead type sf/pf hybrid there is a lot to be said for what he can bring to the table.

Jordan Clarkson may have had the best ending 3 month span of any rookie last year. He averaged 13.8 ppg in February, 15.8 in March and an outstanding 19.4 in April (all months at above 45% shooting as well). Also, increased assists each of those months from 4.0, to 5.2 to 6.8 a game.

Then, there are proven/known assets in Jordan Hill, Wayne Ellington, Boozer, Ed Davis, Jeremy Lin, and Ronnie Price (and some other scrubs like Sacre).

Personally, I think that Boozer, Wesley Johnson, and Jeremy Lin are useless. I'd rather have Clarkson playing a lot of minutes and Ronnie Price as the backup. Lin is simply too turnover prone and combing that with Kobe, another turnover prone guy, is not the right template for a team that needs to build competence. If they could somehow get rid of those 3 to 5 guys on their team it'd go a long way toward their success.

I really liked Okafur's ability to be an apex player in an offense. He is calm and generally knows what to do. However, his defense was surprisingly poor. I was actually floored by how bad I thought he was defensively. It could just be a flaw of the tournament style and what he had to do but I thought his lateral reaction speed and intensity on the defensive end were pathetic.

A starting lineup of:

Clarkson
    Kobe
    Randle
    Hill
    Okafur

would actually be pretty tough to stop. Kobe has shown his ability to work with centers and get them enough touches and let them score if they have the ability. Dwight was an anomaly because he was injured and just kept turning it over a ton.

It depends a lot on Randle's ability to play the three. Hill is pretty good at stretching the floor as a 4. From what I've seen the Lakers have very poor wing players and though this lineup may "seem clunky" it is a much better time investment than any other lineup they could put out there. At least size and athletic wise they should be able to out compete almost every team.

Defensively, Clarkson and Hill are pretty decent defenders. The backups of Johnson, Ellington, and Ed Davis are also pretty decently good defenders. For their sake, hopefully Booz cruise is not on their team because he is death to changing a culture. He talks a lot and influences teams because of his personality as much as his play.

On a semi related sidenote - Justise Winslow should be a top 4 pick. He is going to be a beast. If he gets enough touches he'll be ridiculously good anywhere he goes.

In summary, not making a trade would be in their best interest this summer. The draft is a rare level of good this upcoming year and they have 4 solid pieces (Clarkson, Randle, Hill, Davis) + Kobe to build upon for at least a year or two.
    Lakers are not picking up Jordan Hill's option. Not if they intend to draft Okafor. I don't want Wesley Johnson back. Dude was so inconsistent. Lakers need to focus on offering Jimmy Butler a max contract and hoping the Bulls don't match. Then pick up a solid PG on a 1-2 year contract like George Hill from the Pacers.

PG: Hill | Clarkson
    SG: Bryant | Ellington
    SF: Butler | Young
    PF: Randle | Davis
    C: Okafor | Black

rank sentamentalist

For their sake, hopefully Booz cruise is not on their team because he is death to changing a culture. He talks a lot and influences teams because of his personality as much as his play.
    what makes you say that?

Cali Love

Randle can't play the 3 and no way LA picks up Hill's option who will make 9 mill.

If I'm Mitch I'm taking my PG in this draft (Russell) and I go after my big in free agency Gasol/DJ/LMA hoping we land one of them.

Lakers will have 25 mill in capspace this summer so we still have the (mini-)MLE to spend on a small forward after giving out a max contract. Also move Young with that #27 or #34 and resign Davis (said he'd settle for a 6-8 mill/3 year type of deal).

This team desperately needs 3&D guys so they should go after guys like Corey Brewer, KJ McDaniels, Arron Afflalo and maybe Wilson Chandler ? Drafting RJ Hunter would certainly help with the 3 part. I read Mitch also wants to keep Wes Johnson as a back up for the vet min.

Russell/Clarkson
    Kobe/Clarkson/Russell
    3&D guy/Johnson
    Randle/Davis
    Gasol or DJ/T.Black

if Randle is what we think he is, this is a playoff team.
    Last edited by brownmamba00; 06-23-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Okafor will be a bust, I been hearing so much about this dude I decided to actually google him today. Guy is flat out overweight and has a generally lackluster physique

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I see no value in the Lakers for at least 2 or more years.
    /

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I think Randle will not be a beast. This isn't college. He's undersized and has a lot of work to do to be anywhere near the best at his position. If he works extremely hard he could be a 2nd tier PF. Being with a horrible team like the lakers should give him minutes and help him develop.
    Clarkson is a back up guard with any legit team, but with the lakers he's a starter and will get minutes. He could develop into a player.
    Kobe is washed up.
    Hill is a back up on any real team.
    Okafur is unproven. We'll just have to wait and see.
    The lakers will stay losing for a long while, but the good thing is that they will give their young players lots of minutes.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz

A starting lineup of:

Clarkson
    Kobe
    Randle
    Hill
    Okafur

Well I agree with you regarding not making a trade because I rather stay put and see if that number 2 pick (Okafor most likely or Russell) can be that player you can build around. If he turn out to be promising with load of potential then rebuilding would be less challenging.

On regard of picking up Hill option, hell to the no for that. I rather have Randle or Okafor get a lot of minutes. Not picking up Hill option means we have a cap for a max player. The bad news is most of the top 10 free agents are expected to stay put except for Aldridge and Love. Don't really care for Aldridge because he's older but I'm quite intrigue with Love. If we get struck out again then another option would be taking Lee's contract from the Warriors as long Harrison Barnes is included on the package. The Warriors are desperate to get rid of Lee to avoid paying hefty luxury taxes so it's more realistic.

So we gonna have Okafor, Randle, Clarkson and Barnes as the cornerstones. That's not enough to even challenge for the playoff but keep in mind that We gonna be off the hook with Kobe contract next year so we gonna have another shot on free agency again. Then when the salary skyrocket as expected in 2 years, we will also have a chance to add another max player. The Lakers should maintain that flexibility. If they can't get a max player then might as well set the foundation with their young player.