Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just How Tall?

Default Re: Just How Tall?

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I care.

Anyway, I was looking up D'angelo Russell and found this page with his height listed with and without shoes. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Russell-7175/
    That's good height for a point guard, that's a fairly tall point guard actually.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Having a couple inches at the shoulders = / = having a couple inches at the top of your head.

Dwight Howard's shoulders sit higher on his body than Chris Bosh's yet Chris Bosh measured almost an inch and a half taller to the top of his head.

IIRC Duncan has admitted to being about 6-10. Look very close to 70+ year old Bill Russell in height I can't see him being much taller than him, and as pointed out Russell in his early 20's allegedly measured 6-9 and 5/8ths

I know I know "hat/shoes/posture" I agree pic analysis is usually a bad way to go about judging player size but they still look roughly similar in height and you can at least see them head to toe.
    Based on those pics, looks like if you took off Bill's hat, Duncan would still hold a couple of inches.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Based on those pics, looks like if you took off Bill's hat, Duncan would still hold a couple of inches.
    I disagree, I think they are almost imperceptably different in height, even though I assume Duncan is taller by at least a half inch or so. But your free to have your own interpretation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Anyone with a strong gif game has that shit bookmarked, takes 15 seconds tops to get a post ready. Zoom has a strong gif game.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

There is no quicker way of saying, "Hey, look, I'm an idiot!" than by measuring players with the eyeball method.

That's good height for a point guard, that's a fairly tall point guard actually.
    It is. Just that most people think he's 6'5", rather than 6'3.25"

I disagree, I think they are almost imperceptably different in height, even though I assume Duncan is taller by at least a half inch or so. But your free to have your own interpretation.
    If you look at the chin and eye level and compare, it does look like a couple of inches. You have to remember, these guys are tall to begin with so differences in height aren't as exagerrated as normal people. But like you said, everyone has their own interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    There is no quicker way of saying, "Hey, look, I'm an idiot!" than by measuring players with the eyeball method.

He has no other way to measure them, than to speculate with pictures of players standing next to each other. He can't just grab the players and force them to stand straight and then measure them.

Duncan... what are those clothes man.

If you look at the chin and eye level and compare, it does look like a couple of inches. You have to remember, these guys are tall to begin with so differences in height aren't as exagerrated as normal people. But like you said, everyone has their own interpretation.
    Chin level?

Dude, one thing I can tell you that might lead you astray here and in any future attempts you might make to evaluate someone's height is assuming everyone's proportions are similar.

Their chin level, nor their shoulder level, nor leg length, nor torso size or anything in between is going to be any sort of indicator how tall the top of their heads will be when they stand straight up. Everyone is shaped differently. You can still believe what you will with those pics but just keep that in mind.

Shaq measured officially at 7 foot without shoes at the NBA pre draft camp, so there goes any nonsense that he is under.

Chin level?

Dude, one thing I can tell you that might lead you astray here and in any future attempts you might make to evaluate someone's height is assuming everyone's proportions are similar.

Their chin level, nor their shoulder level, nor leg length, nor torso size or anything in between is going to be any sort of indicator how tall the top of their heads will be when they stand straight up. Everyone is shaped differently. You can still believe what you will with those pics but just keep that in mind.
    Well, Russell is wearing a hat so you can only go by stuff like eye level, chin, etc. I'm done with this, it's not that important. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Shaq measured officially at 7 foot without shoes at the NBA pre draft camp, so there goes any nonsense that he is under.
    Admitted on Howard Stern to being 6-11 and 1/2, and those old pre-draft measurements used rounded numbers. Measured 7-0.88 with shoes. Shoes today at least vary from an inch to an inch and a quarter in thickness. Which is exactly why he could be a little under 7 foot. It isn't "nonsense" what would be nonsense would be to dismiss everything you hear if Laz says it. Shaq being 7 foot, or perhaps a little under, is plausible, especially considering he's the one who said he was 6-11 and 1/2. And it's made plausible by the fact that most 7 footers, and bigs in general, are not quite 7 foot either. Him being potentially 6-11.5, would still make him incredibly tall when you account for the barefoot heights of other players.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Height = overrated
    Wingspan = underrated

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Dirk and Duncan for example are about 6'10". Pau Gasol might be 7' or close.

Roy Hibbert is the only notable player who is clearly north of 7'.
    Dirk has been quoted saying to the Dallas radio that he is a hair over 7 feet. (Not talking about "in shoes.") I will believe him because why would he lie about it?
    Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight; 07-13-2015 at 12:28 AM.