Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Are players today just bigger faster stronger or bigger fast stronger better?

??

Tolerant Liberals

Default Re: Are players today just bigger faster stronger or bigger fast stronger better?

TOP END ATHLETICISM has not changed much. The fastest sprinters decades ago are comparable to the fastest sprinters now, with the small differences easily accountable by equipment and track conditions. Wilt would still be a beast today, and I truly believe he may have had a vert in the upper 30s/approaching 40.

However, modern technology and sports science knowledge has enabled a far greater number of athletes to reach or come very close to their athletic ceiling. The result is that as a whole, the basketball playing population, which has increased in orders of magnitude from the russell/wilt era, has noticeably increased in athleticism.

The result is that in the 60s, if you had a 40 inch vert, you would be considered a god. Nowadays, every fuking black kid that plays basketball and does pushups sports a 40 inch vert. However, we had not seen a true 50 inch vert in the 60s, and we still have not seen a 50 inch vert. The ceiling of human athleticism has not budged, but more people are reaching it.
    Last edited by ISHGoat; 09-01-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Local High School Star

Default Re: Are players today just bigger faster stronger or bigger fast stronger better?

compared to the 80s/90s, the nba overall today is a little more athletic but their peak athletes arent much more athletic. i think the bigger gap is between how the game is played. today's game seems to lack a level of fundamentals and team cohesion that the game had a few decades ago.

so while i think todays athletes a bit better, i think they're worse basketball players.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Having watched a lot of NBA Hardwood Classics of 80s/90s games this summer, yes they are. Some of those role players would barely get by in today's league.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Yes but also nowadays players are too focused on athleticism and dunking. This and the fact that they spend less time in college makes them lack fundamentals. Footwork, post moves, defense positioning, shooting and free throws. It's more fun to throw dunks in practice than making your FT% grow by even 5%. And fundamentals > athleticism. That's way Duncan can still play at a high level although he can barely ****ing run. Would you not take 3 inches off Deandre Jordan's vertical if that makes him a 70% free throw shooter?

Made that high school varsity squad

It's balanced out.

pre 2000s - naturally athletic freaks (Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, MJ, many centers)
    post 2000s - manufactured athleticism (westbrook, rose, a lot of PGs)

Very good NBA starter

Whatever minimal changes are due to steroid and hgh use.

The real change in the athleticism of the NBA was from the early 1980s forward.

The rookies back then guys like Hakeem, MJ, Clyde, Barkley, Malone, Wilkins, DRob, Rodman, Isaiah, etc etc.

The NBA was fully 'modern' once the last of the 70s players retired in the late 80s.

You also see this in how players in the 90s all shoot the same way, while in the 80s and 70s everyone seemed to have their own technique.

Quote Originally Posted by f0und
    compared to the 80s/90s, the nba overall today is a little more athletic but their peak athletes arent much more athletic. i think the bigger gap is between how the game is played. today's game seems to lack a level of fundamentals and team cohesion that the game had a few decades ago.

so while i think todays athletes a bit better, i think they're worse basketball players.
    Team basketball has never been better imo.

Fundamentals=/= effectiveness.

90sgoat > Modern players all shoot the same way? Are you saying Dirk Nowitzki, Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant, Shawn Marion, Carlos Boozer, Rashard Lewis, Tony Parker, Michael Kidd Gilchrist have similar shooting forms?

There's a reason why in NBA2K you get to choose between dozens of shooting forms. Or why I or any other basketball fanatic can do an imitation of a certain NBA player shooting and people will recognize it. If I do LeBron shooting, then Durant, no one is going to confuse them.

But more importantly… unorthodox technique doesn't mean you'll be ineffective (well, for MKG, I'm pretty sure it does ). Among the players I mentioned, Shawn Marion used to shoot near 40%. So did Rashard Lewis. In fact it's not at all uncommon for truly great shooters to have a unique form - Peja Stojakovic and Larry Bird come to mind.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 09-01-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Decent college freshman

Haven't seen any spectacular or unique athletes in the last few draft classes

DRob? Shaq? Wilt?

The increase in medical knowledge, technology, health, recovery/training methods, diet, and nutrition have all helped current athletes to maximize their potential and last longer. Doesn't mean that they are necessarily better than previous players. They are better THEM. If previous players had access to what current players do, they would have had longer careers.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

op at the club

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    op at the club

Banned

In the 60's they played in heavy ass Converse. Imagine Wilt in 2015 Nikes. It would add like 4 inches to his vert.

Look at this 6-7 3/4" clod from the 60's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TnbhJr8iY

And to think that he ran away with rpg titles, and had seasons of 26-12.

No way that clown could play in the current NBA.