Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: All-Time NBA Champions by seeding

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    This is actually a very good point. If the best team wins a great majority of the time and there are rarely underdog champions, is it easier or harder to win the ship?
    It's not easier or harder. It just means that the best teams usually win and that a vastly inferior team has little chance of an upset because the truth will play itself out on the court and the better team prevails almost every team. Meaning the NBA is fair.

This is why the NBA is superior to MLB or NFL. In the NFL, there is only 1 playoff game so the hot team has a good shot at beating the superior team. In baseball, it's a complete crap shoot and any team can beat any other team. Just depends on who is pitching well and what bats get hot at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    At the risk of derailing this thread, the 1969 Celtics were underdogs in all of it's series that season and didn't have homecourt in either. A prime Willis Reed should probably feel worse than Wilt after being outplayed by an old, arthritic Russell in the EDF.
    Adding insult to injury, Russell was the head coach in 1968 and 1969, which were his last 2 years in the league and both years upsetting the heavily favored Wilt led teams. Wilt really hurt his legacy in those two years. He should've had 2 more chips and taken 2 more away from Russell. But dude choked away two game 7's, at home. Just shameful choke job.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Adding insult to injury, Russell was the head coach in 1968 and 1969, which were his last 2 years in the league and both years upsetting the heavily favored Wilt led teams. Wilt really hurt his legacy in those two years. He should've had 2 more chips and taken 2 more away from Russell. But dude choked away two game 7's, at home. Just shameful choke job.

This has been SHREDDED many time here.

Do some RESEARCH before posting NONSENSE.

Anm injured Wilt, with a team, that was so badly injured that it wasn't even favored in the first round against the Knicks in the '68 playoffs, wiped the floor with BOTH Bellamy and Russell in those two playoff series. Of course, with over HALF of his roster DECIMATED by injuries, and and he himself playing on one leg the entire series...his team lost a game seven by four points.

And in game seven of the '69 Finals, Wilt crushed a defenseless Russell, who completely disappeared in the 4th quarter.

Of course, and as always, Russell's TEAMMATES badly outplayed Wilt's in BOTH series. Baylor was a complete joke in the '69 Finals, and personally lost THREE games on his own (including a miserable game seven in which he did nothing.)

Banned

i think it just proves that homecourt advantage is the most valued in basketball

refs play into it a big deal

probably because theres more infractions in basketball than any other sport

if we cut down fouls/free throws thered be more upsets

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    They would still be facing tough competition. All great champions have faced a great team.
    Well thanks, but its definitely not the hardest winning one in the NBA..

Simple look at MJ's 6 in 7 years should do enough, or Russell..

Other equally dominant greats cant win that much elsewhere..

How open and guaranteed was the 2008-2010 West for the Lakers?

Who was gonna challenge them, Paul Hornets? Melo Nuggets?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS

This has been SHREDDED many time here.

Do some RESEARCH before posting NONSENSE.

Anm injured Wilt, with a team, that was so badly injured that it wasn't even favored in the first round against the Knicks in the '68 playoffs, wiped the floor with BOTH Bellamy and Russell in those two playoff series. Of course, with over HALF of his roster DECIMATED by injuries, and and he himself playing on one leg the entire series...his team lost a game seven by four points.

And in game seven of the '69 Finals, Wilt crushed a defenseless Russell, who completely disappeared in the 4th quarter.

Of course, and as always, Russell's TEAMMATES badly outplayed Wilt's in BOTH series. Baylor was a complete joke in the '69 Finals, and personally lost THREE games on his own (including a miserable game seven in which he did nothing.)
    Translation: It's never his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Not compared to the other big 4 sports leagues in North America.

Banned

Simple look at MJ's 6 in 7 years should do enough, or Russell..

Other equally dominant greats cant win that much elsewhere..

How open and guaranteed was the 2008-2010 West for the Lakers?

Who was gonna challenge them, Paul Hornets? Melo Nuggets?
    It is the hardest winning in the NBA compared to the other 3 sports.

Longest season out of the 4. Best of 7 every playoff series.

There's hardly any luck involved between opponents, only draft
    Other dominant greats in other sports can't impact the game as much compared to the NBA.

NFL has 1 game per playoff match
    MLB switches its pitchers and not best of 7
    NHL has the penalty box, so it can be a 5 on 4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    What ?

The teams with the best talent will usually win. It's hard to gather that talent and sustain it, though.
    And in NBA terms, "the teams with the best talent" usually means teams with the best players.

Every team since 1991 besides the 2004 Pistons and 2008 Celtics (and 2014 Spurs) had a top 3 player on their team. And when you have the absolute best, you usually get at least 3 titles. MJ, Shaq, Duncan.

I think that's what AW meant.

NBA = if you have a superstar/top 3 guy, you''ll win. and deep rosters don't always win. 2002 King, 2000 Blazers, Drexler's Blazers, 1993 Suns etc...they'll lose to the best player.

NFL, MLB = you actually need the best talents on your roster.
    Last edited by DMV2; 10-01-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Banned

If the NBA is the hardest to win, then why is it the easiest to predict?

Like, we all know who the best player is, or the top 3 players are.

Besides 2004 Pistons and 2008 Celtics (and 2014 Spurs), every champion at least since 1991 have had a top 3 player. Bird and Magic, top 2 in the 80's combined for 8 championships out of 10 years.

And have the best player/top 3 usually gets you a top 4 seeding. Name a season where a LeBron wasn't ion the top 3? His rookie and sophomore season. Every playoff appearance his teams have been #1 or #2 seeding.

And when LeBron lost, he lost to an MVP player/top 3 in Curry and top 3 player in Dirk.

2014 Spurs beating LeBron's Heat is an example of a team with the most talent beating the best player's team. I'd add 2014 Spurs along with 2004 Pistons and 2008 Celtics has teams with the best talents without the best player/top 3 player.
    Last edited by DMV2; 10-01-2015 at 08:40 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    This is actually a very good point. If the best team wins a great majority of the time and there are rarely underdog champions, is it easier or harder to win the ship?
    Harder, it means the best wins and being the best is aways harder. If random luck is a larger factor it diminishes the titles. A reason why I hate the college tourney with a passion.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    This is why all the people making a stink over changing the playoffs format are silly. The teams that it would affect have 0% chance to win anyways.
    Last year we could have had the spurs in the second round. To me that alone makes it worth while. EVery year you have teams CLEARLY better in the west eliminated than many teams in the east still playing. Sure the end results might be the same, but damn it makes the journey to the finals less fun. And we as fans are about having more fun, right?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Do you think adding Phoenix and Oklahoma to the playoffs is gonna add more revenue than Boston and Brooklyn?
    yes actually I do. The suns might not matter, but Ressell westbook is a HUGE tv draw. I think people are missing that sports are more and more becoming less local and more national/global. I was born in Kentucky and now I"m in Ohio so some bias here, but I don't care what team you play for. I want to see great basketball. I care about WHO is playing, not the city they are in. Given the global draw and the national tv rights, I might be a minority, but when it comes to dollars, the majority of dollars and views for playoff basketball is coming from the out of market crowd.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i think it just proves that homecourt advantage is the most valued in basketball

refs play into it a big deal

probably because theres more infractions in basketball than any other sport

if we cut down fouls/free throws thered be more upsets
    You didn't post in an annoying bold or over sized font? yet you're still trolling?

You realize the edge of home court is declining each and every year right? It's become more and more marginal if that....

or does that make it the easiest hmmm
    Depends on the referent of "who." I assume it is the underdog in this context; if so, it would only engender it as the hardest league to win it all at in terms of capitalizing off of a fluke.

Every team needs to work exhaustively to win it all